• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Monsignor Pace Track..

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

shouldn't they be able to help the track team as freshmen?

I know that Lindsey Lamar and Derrick Hopkins both plan to run track at USF and I expect they will be the premier short distance runners on our track team as freshmen.

I'm not so sure that Kayvon Webster and Sterling Griffin have said they plan on running track at USF. I think most people just assume they will. Sterling is more of a 400 meter guy, much like Carlton Mitchell. Mitchell set the all-time USF record in the 400 but then decided not to continue with the track team the following year. 

Webster will play A LOT in 2009.  I expect Hopkins to compete for a returner spot.  Griffin will be a great receiver. 

Hopefully this track speed translates to football speed.

The problem is we already signed 30 players and anticipate having D Rose as well. One of those 31 scholarships, for Anthony Hill, can be counted towards 2008. So, that means we have five more signees than scholarships. Assuming a couple don't qualify, that leaves three players who would have to take a grey-shirt and enroll the following January. If that's the case, which players are pushed over to 2010? 

I'm sure that Leavitt must have told some players that they may have to grey-shirt and they accepted that as a possibility.

When Hopkins took his official visit to USF with his teammates he didn't have a scholarship offer. I don't know if he is one of the possible grey-shirt players.

Long before Hopkins visited, we know of at least one player who was already offered a grey-shirt. OL Chibane originally accepted those terms but then received an offer from SU to be on scholarship immediately and therefore decommitted.

With Lindsey Lamar and a supposedly healthy Colby Erskin, USF could afford to either red-shirt or grey-shirt Hopkins so he could get bigger and stronger. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

took 2nd at the Lake Mary Invitational last weekend. Edgewater squeeked by them by 2.67 points in the overall standing! Ouch..

Kayvon Webster took care of business! - 1st in the 100/1st in the 200.. our boys won the 4x100 easily. Sterling Griffin got 3rd in the 400.

http://fl.milesplit.us/meets/44912/results/85569

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/track/orl-sportshstrack15031509mar15,0,2333085.story

did they get a trophy for coming in second?

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

That is good but what is up with Hopkins not runnign the sprints?  It has him listed on the relay though.

That is good but what is up with Hopkins not runnign the sprints?  It has him listed on the relay though.

Maybe his coach wants to give some of his other players a chance to see what they can do early in the season.

For example, Lindsey Lamar didn't run in the 4 x 100 relay this past week:

"That's our plan," Sipp said. "Breaking up the 4x100 relay and having Lindsey and T-Rex do more individual stuff and building some of these other guys up, that's what we're banking on."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/mar/21/sp-hillsborough-boys-wharton-girls-prevail/sports-prepsports/

Archived