• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One good thing about the NHL lockout

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

The best thing about the NHL lockout is that there is less sports competition right now in Tampa to interfere with USF football and basketball. This NHL lockout is a big opportunity for USF basketball to bring back fans if we can just win this season. To me, I never really get into the NHL regular season because it is too long and too many teams make the playoffs. The real season of NHL is the playoff season, not the regular season. Anyway, I hope the USF marketing department capitalizes on the NHL lockout because there should be more sports fans wanting to spend money.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

It seems like the Ice Bulls could parlay the walkout and build their fan base from hockey-hungry fans.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

It would be nice if the Trib would cover the Ice Bulls.

I sent an email to:

Deputy sports editor, NHL editor, Nick Pugliese, DPugliese@tampatrib.com

Lightning beat, Erik Erlendsson, EErlendsson@tampatrib.com

Backup Lightning/Rays writer, Scott Carter, SCarter@tampatrib.com

USF beat, Brett McMurphy, BMcmurphy@tampatrib.com

If there is some coverage, then maybe more fans can show up.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Marketing? Don't count on it.

Being a club team, it's definately not getting any attention from the Athletic Department's marketing area.  I think that would have to come from the club contacting the media, as Jim has done.

I think the Trib and Times could come up with some nice articles on the Ice Bulls and their successes.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Lockout, what lockout?  ;)

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  552
  • Days Won:  0

The Bradenton Herald wrote a HORRIBLE article about the Ice Bulls, how they do not even deserve to carry water bottles, the only games that were mentioned were the losses to D2 Princeton and D2 Wagner, I am so mad about it, and Im getting the run around the Herald trying to get my letter printed.

The St Pete Times wrote a nice article last year, It even made the front page of sports, Im working with them right now **hopefully** getting another big article written as the boys are 3rd in D3 South right now.

nickarticle.jpg

That was a clip about the goalie last year, the year before that he was ranked 3rd in the NATION in D3.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  552
  • Days Won:  0

***UPDATE***

After talking to the man that wrote the article, who was not informed on the Ice Bulls, and had wrong scores etc. They are writing a new one to be published in the next two weeks talking about how GOOD our USF ICE BULLS ARE!

This was the quote from the article:

"There is a team based out of the University of South Florida. But that bit of information comes with all sorts of asterisks and disclaimers. Make no mistake, the IceBulls are not in the class of Michigan, Maine or Minnesota. They couldn't even carry the water bottles of Middlebury, the reigning NCAA Division III champion.

The IceBulls, a low-level club team, are to college hockey what Angola is to Olympic basketball. On a recent road trip, USF lost two games by a combined score in the neighborhood of 21-1. But who's counting?

If you absolutely have to get your hockey fix, you can watch the IceBulls play Embry-Riddle at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Ice Sports Forum in Brandon. Then, on Monday, go see a therapist."

They failed to mention on that road trip to New York they mercy ruled CW Post 14-1 (ended in the 2nd period), beat UCONN... and their lost to Wagner (42-2 last season) and Princeton (38-1 they also handed Wagner their 2 losses)