• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Torrey Davis

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Davis gone from UF

By Robbie Andreu

Staff writer

Published: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 9:47 p.m.

Last Modified: Friday, March 13, 2009 at 9:47 p.m.

For the past week or so, the Internet message boards have been abuzz about the tenuous status of junior Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis.

Is he still on the team? Has he been suspended for the spring? Is there any chance he'll be around in the fall?

Well, the speculation can end now.

UF spokesman Steve McClain confirmed Friday night that the troubled Davis has left the program. He is not expected to return.

No reason for his departure was given, but the decision to leave was his.

Davis has had problems throughout his career at Florida, academically and in terms of buying into the demands of the coaching staff.

He played very little this past season, but came around enough to earn playing time in the Gators' national championship victory over Oklahoma in Miami. He made one of the plays of a game, a tackle for a loss on and fourth-and-goal play from the 1-yard line late in the first half.

Now, it looks like that will be the only play he will be remembered for in his UF career.

UF coach Urban Meyer could not be reached for comment.

Coming out of Seffner Armwood High School in 2007, Davis was rated the No. 1 prospect in Florida and the ninth-best prospect in the nation by Rivals.com.

He saw limited playing time as a true freshman in 2007. He was expected to challenge for a starting role this past season, but he was no factor for most of the year.

Sounds like he needs a fresh start..... at USF. He has a ton of potential.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I thought I had read that USF wasn't interested in him, but I just found the article I was thinking of and it was John Brown which Greg was talking about back in january:

-- One name not to worry about: Former Lakeland standout John Brown, who hasn't played in two seasons as a defensive tackle at Florida, is not transferring to USF. He's come by USF twice in the past two weeks trying to speak with coaches, but my understanding is that USF is happy enough with its recruiting on the defensive line that Brown isn't part of their plans.

I wouldn't mind getting Davis, but he'd have to sit out a year.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Not so sure UF would allow him to transfer to USF, since we are on the schedule in a few years.  It would be nice having him though.  He was a stud coming out of HS.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Not so sure UF would allow him to transfer to USF, since we are on the schedule in a few years.  It would be nice having him though.  He was a stud coming out of HS.

With Urban you never know. He let Pupello transfer to USF but not Fayson. My guess is that he'd let Davis come here just like he was going to let Brown. So far, I haven't read of him placing any restictions on Davis and if there are any we should learn about them shortly.

College football: Gators DT Torrey Davis off the team

posted by Jeremy Fowler on Mar 14, 2009 1:09:03 AM

Discuss This: Comments (0) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

The Torrey Davis saga is finally over.

The talented but troubled defensive lineman has left the Florida football program after two seasons, according to a team spokesman. Davis' status with the team has been speculated his entire career because of consistent academic and disciplinary problems.

When he did play, he showed moments of brilliance. Davis will best be known for his goal-line tackle at the 1-yard line to prevent an Oklahoma touchdown in the first half of the 2009 national championship win. He finished his sophomore year with seven tackles and two sacks.

Talent never was in question for Davis, a five-star recruit out of high school who missed about half of the 2008 season because of grades and discipline. Davis was cited for alcohol possession and received a citation for knowingly driving with a suspended license. Defensive line coach Dan McCarney even said last month Davis was progressing and trying to improve, but he must have lost the trust of the coaches.

The Gators have depth issues at defensive tackle after the loss of Davis and John Brown, also a member of the 2007 recruiting class. Coach Urban Meyer confirmed earlier this month that Brown would leave Florida without playing a down in a Gators uniform. Florida returns starters Terron Sanders and Lawrence Marsh and backup Jaye Howard on the interior defensive line. Brandon Antwine (knee) and Troy Epps (knee) will miss spring practice.

Archived