• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

State by State D1 signee numbers

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

i think you also have to consider how many d-1 programs each state has.

Thats true.  Texas has more D-1 programs than Florida and the same amount of BCS programs.

Texas: 10 D-1 programs, 4 BCS

Florida: 7 D1 programs, 4 BCS

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,644
  • Days Won:  29

Max Preps.. ;)

Thanks bullshark

I was just going quote myself  ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,644
  • Days Won:  29

Thats true.  Texas has more D-1 programs than Florida and the same amount of BCS programs.

I don't thik that has anything to do with it ... if Nebraska had another D1 school, the state would produce more D1 players from HS ?

• Content Count:  1,797

The numbers of D-I prospects in each state reflect two facts: 1) the population of the state, and 2) the commitment to football in the state's high schools.  So Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama have high numbers because football is the THING.  In all those states, spring sports state tournaments are held in late April or early May so the schools can have spring football.  Here in the midwest, there is no way the schools could do spring football without ravaging baseball, track, etc.  It won't work with the weather.  In Illinois, the baseball state championships occur after most high schools have had their graduation ceremonies.

I know conceptually that Texas is ga-ga about football but was I surprised when I went to San Antonio in October.  I went to visit one of the student teachers that I had worked with at ISU who was in an exchange program and was student teaching in San Antonio in a middle school.  When she took me on a tour of her school's facility, there were about a hundred boys in full pads practicing football at 7:45 am at the middle school.  I asked someone at the school if it was because of the high temperatures that the team was practicing in the morning, and the teacher looked at me as if I was stupid and said, "That is PE class.  Practice is after school."  Yep, at the middle school level they have a special PE class for the football team that in effect provides two-a-days throughout the entire season for these kids.

Knowing this, I am hardly surprised that Texas tops the list.

Normal

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Yeah Texas has over 161,000 kids that play 11 man football in high school.  It's easily the biggest player population in the country.  Thats about 5 times as many more than Florida. 

• Content Count:  573

I don't thik that has anything to do with it ... if Nebraska had another D1 school, the state would produce more D1 players from HS ?

If Neb had a smaller D1 school like say a Ball state.  Its reasonable to think that the school may take locals kids that otherwise wouldn't have gone to a D-1 program in order to fill a roster.  Also some kids have special circumstances and might choose a local D-2 program over an out of state D-1 program.  Example, if UF was the only D-1 program in the state.  Obviously many good players wouldn't even get an offer from UF but would from out of state schools.  Some players may choose to go to FAMU, since no other in state D-1 programs, instead of leaving the state in that case,

Follow my logic?  ;D

• Content Count:  1,240

The numbers of D-I prospects in each state reflect two facts: 1) the population of the state, and 2) the commitment to football in the state's high schools.  So Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama have high numbers because football is the THING.  In all those states, spring sports state tournaments are held in late April or early May so the schools can have spring football.  Here in the midwest, there is no way the schools could do spring football without ravaging baseball, track, etc.  It won't work with the weather.  In Illinois, the baseball state championships occur after most high schools have had their graduation ceremonies.

I know conceptually that Texas is ga-ga about football but was I surprised when I went to San Antonio in October.  I went to visit one of the student teachers that I had worked with at ISU who was in an exchange program and was student teaching in San Antonio in a middle school.  When she took me on a tour of her school's facility, there were about a hundred boys in full pads practicing football at 7:45 am at the middle school.  I asked someone at the school if it was because of the high temperatures that the team was practicing in the morning, and the teacher looked at me as if I was stupid and said, "That is PE class.  Practice is after school."  Yep, at the middle school level they have a special PE class for the football team that in effect provides two-a-days throughout the entire season for these kids.

Knowing this, I am hardly surprised that Texas tops the list.

Normal

wow, we dont even play football in middle school (in pinellas county at least)

Archived