• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HDTV Help

bulldad10

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe one of you guys with an HDTV can help me.

I am looking at buying a new TV to put in a spare bedroom.  It will have DirecTV, but will not have HDTV service.  I am looking to buy a Vizio 32 720p because I have heard that if you have cable or satellite, they compress the signal(read this in Money magazine).

My question is, will I still get an acceptable picture out of the TV?

My DirecTV reciever does not have an HDMI output, just a coaxial and the R,Y,W outputs.  How should I connect it?

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Do not buy a Vizio.  I know a couple of people that have had several problems.  With that said, the picture will be better than an old SDTV.  Connect it with component video or s-video as a first choice, R, Y, W, as a second and coaxial as a third.

Do not buy a Vizio.  I know a couple of people that have had several problems.  With that said, the picture will be better than an old SDTV.  Connect it with component video or s-video as a first choice, R, Y, W, as a second and coaxial as a third.

Thanks!

We were looking at Costco and they seemed to have the best price.  I think they also have other brands for not too much more money.  I think I will have to connect with either composite or coaxial because the POS satellite reciever does not have component outputs.

• Content Count:  228

I just went through 5 32 inch LCDs in the last month.  2 Sonys, a RCA, and a Sanyo.  I finally settled on, of all things, a Sceptre.  They only sell it at Costco.  The problem with 32 inch LCDs is the black level - it sucks and is VERY annoying.  However, the Sceptre is a 1080P screen and has a native contrast ration of 2500:1.  Because of the great contrast ration (for a 32 inch) the blacks are acceptable.  Also, the Sceptre is on sale at Costco now ($100 off but you have to buy it online) and comes with Costco's free 1 year warranty extension.  The only problems with it so far are 1) the speakers make a little hum that can only be heard at low volume and 2) the remote (but not the on TV censor) sucks.  If you use your satellite remote this will make no difference.

Think about getting a new satellite receiver.  HDMI makes ALL the difference in the world.  DirecTV does compress their signal to 720P but component video, being an analog source, can't take advantage of the digital signal.  I have Comcast hooked via HDMI which operates at 720P and it looks good, but through component it looks average.  Now when I use my PS3 as a BlueRay player the 1080p picture looks GREAT.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280646&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Do NOT buy a Monster Cable.  They are overpriced and do the same thing as cables that cost a tenth of what Monster Cables do.

Do NOT buy a Monster Cable.  They are overpriced and do the same thing as cables that cost a tenth of what Monster Cables do.

Yeah I have read that somewhere as well.  I think there is some online place that is really good for inexpensice cables.  Can't remember the site though. :(

I just went through 5 32 inch LCDs in the last month.  2 Sonys, a RCA, and a Sanyo.  I finally settled on, of all things, a Sceptre.  They only sell it at Costco.  The problem with 32 inch LCDs is the black level - it ***** and is VERY annoying.  However, the Sceptre is a 1080P screen and has a native contrast ration of 2500:1.  Because of the great contrast ration (for a 32 inch) the blacks are acceptable.  Also, the Sceptre is on sale at Costco now ($100 off but you have to buy it online) and comes with Costco's free 1 year warranty extension.  The only problems with it so far are 1) the speakers make a little hum that can only be heard at low volume and 2) the remote (but not the on TV censor) *****.  If you use your satellite remote this will make no difference.

Think about getting a new satellite receiver.  HDMI makes ALL the difference in the world.  DirecTV does compress their signal to 720P but component video, being an analog source, can't take advantage of the digital signal.  I have Comcast hooked via HDMI which operates at 720P and it looks good, but through component it looks average.  Now when I use my PS3 as a BlueRay player the 1080p picture looks GREAT.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11280646&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Stringfellow - Thanks for the great information, but to be honest you lost me at "I just went through" :)

I think I will look at getting a new reciever if I can talk to the people at DirecTV.  They seem to want to charge for everything.

• Content Count:  4,738

Yeah I have read that somewhere as well.  I think there is some online place that is really good for inexpensice cables.  Can't remember the site though. :(

you can get monsters cheap online.  Dont walk into any store and pick up the first HDMIs you see.  A little research will cut your price in half at worst.  I bought a Phillips flat screen and am very satisfied.  Only complaints are rear facing speakers and the tv has an auto mode that adjusts the size of the picture(4x3, widescreen, etc.)  which can get get annoying when it tries to switch alot.  overall the tv was a good pickup at sams club. 

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Go to circuit city for the cables.

• Content Count:  4,738

Go to circuit city for the cables.

HA! Maybe they are cheap now, but during the holidays they tried to sell some to my bro for $80

Archived