• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Overall Questions on Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Can't wait till I click on our "Commitment List" of ESPN and see multiple positional ranks in the Top 10.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

This will be obviously our best class so far, ya think this will cause USF to raise the bar in future recruiting classes? or will their "standard" remain the same as they will see this as a "lucky" year?

The bar has been raised... and the thing is, this kind of success tends to build on itself.

2010 recruits will see that top-level talent does come to USF... and succeed.

But the program needs to build on this class.

With so many JUCO players this year we'll see some immediate impact.  Couple that with all the redshirts from last year getting some playing time and some of the guys moving from the DL back to the OL and I see a team with a lot more talent and depth.

The OL is the biggest concern on offense but I love our chances of improving there.

The DL is as deep as ever.  I think Barrington helps address LB depth down the road, though we should be fine this year.  The secondary needs to improve and it can.

The DL just looks like it will be able to generate more of a pass rush.  That'll help the secondary.

If we can finally pull off a Big East title then next year's class could be even better. 

If we manage to beat both FSU and Miami?  If that happens and we win the Big East and win a BCS Bowl then this thing will snowball.

2009 is an important year.  If things go right then we may become THE power in the Big East and a team able to challenge for a place in the BCS title game down the line.

Of course I'd love to beat all three other big Florida teams next year, but that'll likely require a perfect record to get us to Pasadena and history says that won't happen.  But I can dream.

• Content Count:  3,403

This will be obviously our best class so far, ya think this will cause USF to raise the bar in future recruiting classes? or will their "standard" remain the same as they will see this as a "lucky" year?

The bar has been raised... and the thing is, this kind of success tends to build on itself.

2010 recruits will see that top-level talent does come to USF... and succeed.

But the program needs to build on this class.

With so many JUCO players this year we'll see some immediate impact.  Couple that with all the redshirts from last year getting some playing time and some of the guys moving from the DL back to the OL and I see a team with a lot more talent and depth.

The OL is the biggest concern on offense but I love our chances of improving there.

The DL is as deep as ever.  I think Barrington helps address LB depth down the road, though we should be fine this year.  The secondary needs to improve and it can.

The DL just looks like it will be able to generate more of a pass rush.  That'll help the secondary.

If we can finally pull off a Big East title then next year's class could be even better. 

If we manage to beat both FSU and Miami?  If that happens and we win the Big East and win a BCS Bowl then this thing will snowball.

2009 is an important year.  If things go right then we may become THE power in the Big East and a team able to challenge for a place in the BCS title game down the line.

Of course I'd love to beat all three other big Florida teams next year, but that'll likely require a perfect record to get us to Pasadena and history says that won't happen.  But I can dream.

I agree with a lot of your points.  In addition to the DL helping the secondary, the secondary should be better on its own, too.

As for Barrington playing, here are the guys fighting for 6 spots (on 2 deep): 

K. Wilson

S. Joseph

A. McQueen

M. Lanaris

A. Sanchez

Q. Taylor

L. Watkins

J. Williams (JC)

C. Robinson

C. Griffiths

D. Lattimore

S. Barrington!

Kion looked good last year so he's most likely the starting MLB.  After that, though, no one is really proven.  C-Rob has been inconsistent (but has so much ability and was awesome on special teams and in the time he got at LB last year).  Joseph and McQueen both had starting spots at one point last spring as Kion moved around and settled on MLB, so those are leading candidates.  Q Taylor I was excited about but who knows with him.  J. Williams should get a lot of time and might start.

So, I agree it's likely Barrington redshirts with Williams, Kion, and Robinson/Joseph/McQueeen, but it's possible he can beat out a few and be one of the top backups.  He's pretty good.  Runs a 4.6 at LB and also played RB in HS.  Once he commits himself to only LB I'm sure he'll improve quickly.

• Content Count:  1,204

As for Barrington playing, here are the guys fighting for 6 spots (on 2 deep): 

K. Wilson

S. Joseph

A. McQueen

M. Lanaris

A. Sanchez

Q. Taylor

L. Watkins

J. Williams (JC)

C. Robinson

C. Griffiths

D. Lattimore

S. Barrington!

Depth.  And quality depth at that.  I'm looking at that list and eliminating Taylor in my mind, though you never know.

We learned last year about depth problems when injuries mount.  The good thing was a lot of guys got playing time and could be better this year because of it. 

This defense looks like it could be our best ever - and it's not like it hasn't been very good in the past.  The secondary is improved.  The DL is improved and it appears that teams will pay for focusing too much on Selvie now.  I look for him to bounce back due to being surrounded by more talent - they won't be able to key on him as much.  I think we'll get a bigger push from the DTs and that the DEs will be able to wreak havoc, especially due to improved coverage.

Can't wait for the spring game and August can't come fast enough. 

I've just got a feeling that we'll finally put it all together this year and give those that have mocked out conference over the past few years a reason to fear the Big East.

Archived