• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

BULLS & CANES after L/B

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Days Won:  0

As for the other non-committed visitors, Miami will host three players who are considered more under the radar talents: 6-2 1/2, 218-pound outside inebacker Sam Barrington of Jacksonville Parker High, 6-3, 225-pound defensive end Shayon Green of Tift County, Ga., and 6-3, 202-pound linebacker Greg King of Memphis' Melrose High (the same school which produced current UM running back Graig Cooper). FYI, of the three, King is the only iffy arrival at this point (his coach called me later Wednesday and said he could also end up visiting the 30th. Tight end Terrell Mitchell, a 6-6, 230-pound prospect, from Powder Springs', Ga. will now visit January 30th (I was previously told it was going to be this weekend).

I caught up with the coaches of Barrington and Green Thursday before lunch to get their insights into their players and their impending visits.

> Parker coach Jim Scrible, who has coached 45 Parade All-Americans in his near 40 years of coaching including former Florida running back Willie Green, said Barrington is as good as any he's ever coached. Barrington had more than 100 tackles on defense as a linebacker, but also ran for 1,250 yards with an 11-yard average as a running back.

"Sam Barrington is a spectacular person. That’s where it all needs to start," Scrible said. "He has tremendous ability to elevate people around him as a person. There’s a lot of cats running around, Rivals 5-star, this that and whatever. Sam is a spectacular leader. He’ll make the locker room better for being there. Now, as a football player, got all the physical tools. He’s a hitter, got a good motor. I’ve had many Parade All-Americans in 45 years and he ranks up there with him. He’s projected in my mind to have a great career."

This will be Barrington's final recruiting trip. He's already made visits to Illinois and South Florida. Scrible said Barrington has a connection with an Illinois assistant coach, who is a Jacksonville native, but says Miami is definitely in the picture even though the Hurricanes got in a bit late. "He wouldn't be wasting their time if he wasn't serious," Scrible said. "That's not Sam."

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

This kid is a Cane I think.

• Content Count:  3,403

maybe, but this is another guy we'd make room for if he chose USF

• Content Count:  3

This kid is a Cane I think.

You think right. He signs with Miami regardless of depth at LB.

• Content Count:  573

I wanted him but I realized once UM offered that we won't get him. 

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I doubt Barrington would see any playing time this fall. So, if we lose him, it won't be that big of a deal. We'll be OK. I'm more excited about getting the All-American JUCO LB as he will contribute right away. We have a number of guys on the roster who will be ahead of anybody else we bring in.

Hopefully, we'll get at least one more LB from the "group"  we are looking at. I'd be satisfied with any of them. I just hope that Chase Griffiths stays on board. He has a LB teammate, Ledford, who is a verbal to Tulane and is trying to turn him. Maybe he can turn Ledford to us if the other guys we are looking at fall through. LOL

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I doubt Barrington would see any playing time this fall. So, if we lose him, it won't be that big of a deal. We'll be OK. I'm more excited about getting the All-American JUCO LB as he will contribute right away. We have a number of guys on the roster who will be ahead of anybody else we bring in.

Hopefully, we'll get at least one more LB from the "group"  we are looking at. I'd be satisfied with any of them. I just hope that Chase Griffiths stays on board. He has a LB teammate, Ledford, who is a verbal to Tulane and is trying to turn him. Maybe he can turn Ledford to us if the other guys we are looking at fall through. LOL

'

Barrington is a heck of a player and a smart kid.  Pretty sure he is already qualified unlike the other high school backers on the board.  Remember we only have williams for 2 years.  Also as far as i know Williams isn't a lock to make it to campus either. 

'

Barrington is a heck of a player and a smart kid.  Pretty sure he is already qualified unlike the other high school backers on the board.  Remember we only have williams for 2 years.  Also as far as i know Williams isn't a lock to make it to campus either. 

I know that griffiths got over 1200 on his SAT and is fully qualified. He'll be a great MLB for us down the road, and I hope we don't lose him. I'd love to have Barrington too if we can get him. I'm just saying that he wouldn't see the field this year. I'm looking forward to seeing Armando Sanchez play in 2009 and maybe Quavon Taylor.

• Content Count:  573

HS recruits aren't meant to fill an immediate gap.  I don't think Sam will contribute right away but I still want him.  HS recruiting is all about the future.  We lose Kion after this year and Williams after next.  Your right, we don't need Sam this year but he would be nice to have in 2 or 3 years.

HS recruits aren't meant to fill an immediate gap.  I don't think Sam will contribute right away but I still want him.  HS recruiting is all about the future.  We lose Kion after this year and Williams after next.  Your right, we don't need Sam this year but he would be nice to have in 2 or 3 years.

We All want him. I'm just not going to lose any sleep if he decides to go somewhere else. We lost out on quite a few good players this year and Barrington would just be another one of them. I don't see him as much a major a loss as some evidently do. Now, losing out on Eugene Smith was a MAJOR loss.

Archived