• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marve leaving Miami; Canes set tight transfer restrictions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

Kind of harsh restrictions set by Shannon. I hope his appeal is accepted. And hopefully this treatment will make some kids think twice before heading down there. This will probably not be over any time soon..

-Former Plant quarterback Robert Marve's days at the University of Miami are over, and if the Hurricanes have their way Marve won't be able to continue his career at any nearby Division-I school.

Ending weeks of speculation that he might transfer from Miami, the former Panthers' record-breaking quarterback said Tuesday is leaving the Hurricanes football program. "I can confirm he's been granted his release," Miami assistant sports information director Kerwin Lonzo told the Times.

Marve told the Associated Press earlier this afternoon that he asked Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon for his release and it was granted.

"I had to get out," Marve told the AP. "I just decided that I can't play for Coach Shannon."

Under NCAA rules, if Marve transfers to another Division I school he'd have to sit out a year. Shannon, however, has also placed tight restrictions on Marve's transfer. The school is not allowing him to go to a college in the ACC, SEC or any Division I school within Florida, Plant football coach Robert Weiner told the Times, a caveat that Weiner said Marve plans to appeal once his release is in hand within the next few days.

"I can see not allowing him to play in the same conference (the ACC), but to tell a kid of Robert's capabilities that he can't go to an SEC school that Miami never plays, it seems like a very petty and bitter act for a man who puts the name coach in front of his name," Weiner said. "Robert lives in the Southeastern United States and this is the Southeastern Conference. If he can't go to a school in the ACC, SEC or in the state, it shows he is being penalized for no reason."

Marve can not contact another school until his release is official. Still, Weiner said he received calls from several college coaches throughout the day inquiring about Marve, but wouldn't talk specifics. The Miami Herald reported Tuesday afternoon that Marve is interested in tranferring to Florida, LSU or Tennessee.

"Robert will have a lot of good opportunities out there regardless of what happens," Weiner said.

Marve had been suspended for the team's Emerald Bowl loss to California in San Francisco for a team rules violation that reportedly was rooted from missing class. He was also suspended for the season's first game as punishment for his involvement in an incident on Halloween of 2007. He started the rest of the Hurricanes games as a redshirt freshman, but the emergence of true freshman Jacory Harris became evident as the season went along.

The final straw was likely when Miami fired offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, an assistant Marve reportedly had a close relationship with, Monday evening. Shannon also told South Florida radio station WQAM Tuesday morning that Harris would enter the spring as the team's starter, according to the (Fort Lauderdale) Sun-Sentinel.

Marve led Plant to the FHSAA Class 4A state championship in 2006. He was an early oral committment to the University of Alabama, but he decommitted once head coach Mike Shula was fired and ended up signing with Miami.

-- EDUARDO A. ENCINA -SP Times

• Content Count:  10,219

is he intrested in USF, since we play UM i guess that we are out, unless he goes juco for one year!

Well we would fall under the "any D1 team in Florida" part of the restriction. I saw someone say he could only play here if he paid for a year of school by himself and then walked on the next year. I don't know though. Should be interesting..

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'm alright with him coming here............to hold BJ's clipboard the next few years.

• Content Count:  443

it seems like a very petty and bitter act for a man who puts the name coach in front of his name," Weiner said

gonna be interesting to see what kind of recruiting Miami will be doing from Plant in the future.

• Content Count:  1,757

it seems like a very petty and bitter act for a man who puts the name coach in front of his name," Weiner said

gonna be interesting to see what kind of recruiting Miami will be doing from Plant in the future.

There is a lot of negativitiy when it comes to Shannon. He needs to be just as worried about not gaining the reputation of being difficult to play for or coach with

-I believe that remark was just answered. It's getting better and better every couple hours. I see all the national media is beginning to eat it up also.

High school coach rips Shannon, too

By BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

Robert Marve's father wasn't the only one bashing Randy Shannon on Tuesday. Marve's high school coach, Tampa Plant's Robert Weiner, also lashed out and said: ''A player of mine won't play for Randy Shannon'' again.

Weiner said tight end Orson Charles, whom UM had been recruiting, definitely won't be attending Miami now. Marve was UM's only Plant player on the roster.

Weiner -- who has led Plant to two of the past three state Class 4A football titles, including this year's -- described Shannon's treatment of Marve as ''egregious'' and said Shannon's insistence that Marve cannot transfer to an ACC, SEC or Florida-based school ``is the last line in a series of slaps in the face. It's . . . spitefulness and vengeance.''

Weiner said Shannon and Marve spoke for less than two minutes Tuesday, and the ''last of many cowardly acts was the fact Randy didn't tell him'' about the transfer restrictions.

Weiner said that, during last offseason, Marve asked Shannon several times about rumors that he would be suspended, and 'Shannon told him, `Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it.' '' (Marve was suspended for the opener.) ''I've never heard of any coach who disciplines a player eight months after it happened,'' Weiner said.

Earlier this month, ''Robert wanted to explain his [academic-related] suspension to Shannon, and he spent less than two minutes talking, and Shannon dismissed him,'' Weiner said. ``Forget being a coach -- that's not a way to be a human being and relate to other human beings.

''X's and O's are important, although I don't think he's very good at that, either,'' Weiner added. ``There's not one time Randy Shannon has shown any care for that young man. People say he's a stern disciplinarian, but I don't see how you can coach without communicating with your players.''

Shannon, offered a chance to respond, did not return a call left through a UM spokesman. In Shannon's defense, he started Marve for 11 games and would have allowed him to stay and compete for the starting job if he wanted.

Weiner said Marve ``is not a perfect young man. When we sent Robert there, we sent him to become a better man. We thought Randy and his staff would be people who would do that. That's a dreadful mistake we made.''

Weiner also said fired offensive coordinator Patrick Nix and tight ends/special teams coach Joe Pannunzio were supportive of Marve, ``but the coaches who believed in him were not allowed to express that because of the environment.''

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Eugene Marve, the father of transferring University of Miami quarterback Robert Marve, said one of the reasons he wants his son to go to school in the Southeast is because he has prostate cancer and prefers that Robert be close to his family members in Tampa. Robert Marve was given permission to transfer earlier this week as long as he doesn't go to a school in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Southeastern Conference or in Florida. But late Friday night, the University of Miami softened its stance. Instead of barring Marve from going to any SEC schools, he is only barred from attending Florida, Tennessee and LSU.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/ncaaf?eref=fromSI

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

The son of a nurse that I work with is very good friends with Marve and played high school ball with him at Plant. She told me that her son (who has talked to Marve) told her that Marve is wanting to come to USF because of his father having cancer and is fighting to be able to come here. I don't know if there is any truth to what she said, so take it with a grain of salt.

• Content Count:  743

Saw him today out on campus playing in the Let it Fly with a bunch of his guys from Plant. He's got a rocket for an arm. Saw him throw a td, run for a td, catch a td, and have an int in about a 10 minute span. I guess it would be nice to see a battle between him and BJ next year.

Archived