• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Local Gators possibly transfering

KingBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  573
  • Days Won:  0

Torrey Davis(Armwood) and John Brown(Lakeland) may be looking to get out of UF.  Both were 5 stars but haven't really gotten the PT they wanted.  Would be nice to get one  ;D

http://thebullgator.blogspot.com/2008/11/transfer-watch-florida-gators.html

• Content Count:  1,037

Amazing that they have a list of possible transfers...

I hope Ryne Giddens sees that he has a better chance to see the field at USF...

I kind of agree with smazza that Leavitt has to be a better salesman.

• Content Count:  3,403

Ryne Giddens could play anywhere. 

Leavitt does a pretty good job when talking to recruits 1 on 1.

Its true that Giddens has offers from far and wide but I wouldn't dismiss Bullerz comment altogether.

The 2 guys I mentioned were 5 stars out of hs but are having trouble seeing the field.  Why wouldn't a highly touted kid want to come to USF where he knows he has a greater chance for PT?

If I were Leavitt I would tell recruits the following: "We have a transfer from UF on our team right now, his name is Trent Pupello. He didn't see the field at UF but he got a lot of playing time in his first year at USF. Why don't you go talk to him..."

Jared Fayson would've transferred USF from UF if there wasn't the "no transfers to florida schools clause." Now he's at Illinois, and I don't think he even considered going there in high school. I bet if he could do it all over again he would be our starting RB right now.

We had another UF transfer who graduated last year from USF but I forget his name. Anyway, we lost 2 players from our backyard who probably are not happy with their playing time....

Its true that Giddens has offers from far and wide but I wouldn't dismiss Bullerz comment altogether.

The 2 guys I mentioned were 5 stars out of hs but are having trouble seeing the field.  Why wouldn't a highly touted kid want to come to USF where he knows he has a greater chance for PT?

Many reasons:  wants to play for a national championship, likes a certain academic program at a school, fan of the school growing up, gets along with other coaches more, thinks he'll have a better chance of going pro at another school, thinks he is good enough to beat out whoever is there.

Also, we are deeper than great teams at some positions.

If I were Leavitt I would tell recruits the following: "We have a transfer from UF on our team right now, his name is Trent Pupello. He didn't see the field at UF but he got a lot of playing time in his first year at USF. Why don't you go talk to him..."

Yeah. and towards the end of the season he didn't play much for us, either.  Perhaps he was injured.  Also, that just shows that UF is a better program right now.  some people would rather sit the bench for a few years knowing they have a better chance of winning a national championship and think they have a better chance at going pro. 

One reason we have such highly touted DEs interesting in us this year is George Selvie, despite the fact that he might stay.  Bedford came last year and said he wanted to play with George Selvie, and yet he didn't get much playing time yet because we had some other guys that are better right now, including Selvie.  Sometimes you just want to play with the best because they might make you better.

First of all, my question was retorical.

But National Championships you say!?  LOL.  Lets not kid ourselves here.  There are 3 reasons why a major FL recruit picks one of the major FL universities.

1)Location

2)Playing time

3)Chance of going pro (which is intertwined with playing time)

I'll concede to you that many kids think they are good enough to beat out any competition however my comment for Bullerz statement still stands.  If a major recruit sees that major recruits from previous years are sitting on the bench then they may want to go to a safer bet.  Its really not all that hard to figure out.  Obviously some kids choose the other FL universities for some of the reason you pointed out but not most, especially when they have a new option (USF) that offers many of the same things and more.  USF will get great recruits because of the 3 things I listed, the big 3 just can't offer it as well as we can, especially #2.

Yeah, no kid wants to win a national championship.  Give me a break!

They also pick them because they grew up loving them, as I said before.

Chance of going pro is also affected by what kind of coaching staff you have.  A lot of kids look at who has gone pro at a school thinking that their chances are increased by that.  Sometimes they are right, sometimes coaches have changed.  Miami is a good example.  They are still getting huge RB recruits because of their legacy.  It certainly has nothing to do with their production the last few years.

Playing time is a big factor with a lot of kids, but not all of them.  Some of them are patient and will take other factors into consideration first.

My only point is that I don't think you should make it seem like it's easier for USF to recruit high profile players than UF.  That's simply far from the truth.  There are a lot of factors that UF wins in right now.

That said, we are making pretty big strides at competing with the other big FL schools, and I agree with you that we are seen as a legit option now.  However, we need to have a good season next year to not lose our "up and coming" status that recruits still use when talking about us.  We need to make this season a bump in the road and not a reversal of the trend.

Yeah. and towards the end of the season he didn't play much for us, either.  Perhaps he was injured.  Also, that just shows that UF is a better program right now.  some people would rather sit the bench for a few years knowing they have a better chance of winning a national championship and think they have a better chance at going pro. 

One reason we have such highly touted DEs interesting in us this year is George Selvie, despite the fact that he might stay.  Bedford came last year and said he wanted to play with George Selvie, and yet he didn't get much playing time yet because we had some other guys that are better right now, including Selvie.  Sometimes you just want to play with the best because they might make you better.

UF has always been a better program, and will probably always be a better program because they established their program over 100 years ago. USF has been in 1a for only 8 years!

Bedford wasn't cleared to play until a few weeks before kickoff, and nobody could learn the defense that quickly. If he had arrived sooner he would've gotten more playing time. I was still surprised that he got as many minutes as he did, though.

I think it's likely that Selvie will go pro. He's been projected as a first round pick by a few analysts. Giddens could see immediate playing time.

Archived