• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Possible Basketball Transfer from Wake Forest

Guest AstroBull

Guest AstroBull

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/12/bulls-in-mix-fo.html?cid=142108042#comment-142108042

As USF basketball prepares for two key transfers to join the Bulls' roster, coach Stan Heath is busy courting another impact transfer for next season.

The Bulls are one of four schools in the mix for Jamie Skeen, a 6-foot-8, 250-pound power forward who is transferring after two seasons at Wake Forest. Skeen, who is also considering Seton Hall, Marquette and Virginia Commonwealth, is scheduled to visit USF's campus this weekend. Heath was one of several coaches in attendance Monday night as Skeen worked out at North Mecklenburg High School, near Charlotte, N.C.

Heath has firsthand knowledge of Skeen's abilities -- as a sophomore, Skeen had 17 points, seven rebounds and three blocks off the bench in Wake Forest's 74-61 win against the Bulls in Winston-Salem.

Skeen, who will enroll at his new school in January, could be eligible after the close of fall exams in December 2009, much the same as guard Mike Mercer (Georgia) and forward Gus Gilchrist (Maryland) will make their Bulls debuts Sunday against Niagara. He would be eligible for the remainder of next season and in 2010-11 as well.

Skeen, who chose Wake Forest over North Carolina and Florida two years ago, was suspended from school this fall for a violation of the Demon Deacons' university academic policy. He averaged 7.5 points and 4.6 rebounds as a freshman, starting 24 games, and 5.6 points and 4.1 rebounds last season, mostly off the bench.

Skeen, whose father Eric played football at Florida State, would bring a tough, physical presence to USF's frontcourt, which has struggled with depth issues in USF's 3-3 start. The Bulls lose two seniors from their post rotation in center B.J. Ajayi and power forward Aris Williams.

(Times photo by Brian Cassella, showing Skeen against USF's Kentrell Gransberry in December 2006

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Days Won:  0

From Greg's Blog http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

"The Bulls are one of four schools in the mix for Jamie Skeen, a 6-foot-8, 250-pound power forward who is transferring after two seasons at Wake Forest. Skeen, who is also considering Seton Hall, Marquette and Virginia Commonwealth, is scheduled to visit USF's campus this weekend."

Visiting this weekend, meaning EVERYONE needs to go to the bball game!!!!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Nice size.  We have a tradition going of getting one good transfer each year

(Gransberry, Verdejo, Mercer, Gilchrist)  May as well keep that going.  :)

• Content Count:  1,390

I merged my topic in with Satty's.  Vega whats the word on this guy.

Sorry! I didn't realize you had already started one....

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sorry suffering from a toothache.

Now this is for everyone that looks at 6-8 250 and think low post banger. Skeen is not a low post player. The extra weight comes from Wake attempting to make him into one because of a need there. Skeen kind of got caught in a numbers crunch at Wake much in the same way Gransberry did at LSU. From what you here he is a very nice kid and coachable in the right situation. Was never really happy at Wake for some reason. I don't know if it had anything to do with Coach Proser's death( he recruited Skeen).

Skeen was a guy that projected to the NBA by his play in HS but a blown knee and the recover from it has reduced Skeen's ability somewhat. From the Wake people they say he constantly had problems from it and that is why he would have a great game and then appear to not show up for a couple.

If Stan thinks that Skeen can get healthy enough to play well here then I hope he can get him. We need a WF and to get the max out of Skeen that is where he needs to and wants to play.

I caution everybody that he up to this point hasn't been what he was projected to be coming out of HS. His soft play and lost of athleticism probably is due to his knee problems. However a change of scenary could awake this kid's potential.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Sounds like, from vega's description, just a larger version of Zaronn Cann.  All the potential, but knee issues caused weight issues, resulting in loss of ability.

I'll trust in Stan.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like, from vega's description, just a larger version of Zaronn Cann.  All the potential, but knee issues caused weight issues, resulting in loss of ability.

I'll trust in Stan.

That's right we should always trust our coach. What I described was his Wake Forest experience. Reports are that the kid stopped going to class because he was just miserable. Like I said sometimes a change of scenery brings about a new attitude.

Mercer blew out his knee at Georgia and as you know he still has a 40 inch vertical and his quickness by all reports. Maybe time away from the court and our medical staff will be just the treatment Skeen needs should he come here.

Stan knows all about injuries such as this. If he is going after this guy like that then Heath must be confident that this guy can really help USF once he becomes eligible. We don't need guys that just take up space because we have to many of those already.

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  8

Shame when a guy picks VCU over the Bulls.  I am sure the homers will say that Stan did not want the guy, but truth be told, USF wanted Skeen BADLY. 

Not a good day to be a Bull.

Archived