• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who woulda thunk it?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you BULLSHTR. South_Florida_Flip, go ask anyone what they think of when then think of Gators sports, even NCAA basketball enthusiasts will probably tell you football. UF winning it's basketball championships was basically like the Lightning winning the Stanley cup.

Of course they'll think football first, but the bottom line is that winning a basketball championship can be done in this state, back to back Championships no less.

Those of us that have been with the program long before football was even a dream know that things can improve with our basketball program. An AD with a basketball background brings in a proven winner, so the commitment is in place.

Sorry, but comparing a college championship to a professional one is way off.

The point is, people were referencing that this will become a basketball school, or hoping it would. That will NEVER happen. UF wasn't a basketball school but managed to win a championship, that's great and not to say we'll never do it. I was merely disputing that we'll EVER be a "basketball school."

And, the comparison was as follows: the Lightning winning the championship was met with great apathy from fans because FL is not a hockey state for obvious reasons. Winning a championship does not make you a "x" sport school or state. This is a FOOTBALL STATE. Period. More support goes to football than any other sport, regardless of the reason.

I hope our basketball program improves, and I know it will, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this becoming a basketball school even if we won 10 championships in a row.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

The point is, people were referencing that this will become a basketball school, or hoping it would. That will NEVER happen.

We were a basketball school for years, so it has happened. If Coach Heath is able to turn things around, then the attitude that people have for the program will change. There was a time when the Sun Dome was packed night in and night out and there is no reason that it cannot happen again.

I'll tell you this, if we were ever able to win the Big East in basketball it would be bigger accomplishment than if football won the league.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

The point is, people were referencing that this will become a basketball school, or hoping it would. That will NEVER happen.

We were a basketball school for years, so it has happened. If Coach Heath is able to turn things around, then the attitude that people have for the program will change. There was a time when the Sun Dome was packed night in and night out and there is no reason that it cannot happen again.

I'll tell you this, if we were ever able to win the Big East in basketball it would be bigger accomplishment than if football won the league.

That may be true, but we didn't have football.  Now that we do... football is going to rule for the rest of time here, regardless of hoops success.

I hope we get a chance to prove this wrong very soon ;D

That may be true, but we didn't have football.  Now that we do... football is going to rule for the rest of time here, regardless of hoops success.

I agree that football will rule from here on out, but for those of us that have been around USF a while, the basketball program takes on a different meaning to us.

• Content Count:  637
  • Days Won:  0

I agree that football will rule from here on out, but for those of us that have been around USF a while, the basketball program takes on a different meaning to us.

A "different meaning" or winning the big east in basketball being more of an accomplishment, while both are true mean nothing toward USF being a "basketball school."

At this point I don't know what we're debating, we both like basketball and we both seem to recognize that basketball will never be as popular as the football program regardless of success.

A "different meaning" or winning the big east in basketball being more of an accomplishment, while both are true mean nothing toward USF being a "basketball school."

At this point I don't know what we're debating, we both like basketball and we both seem to recognize that basketball will never be as popular as the football program regardless of success.

The debate was about FL being a basketball state. It will always be a football state, but that does not mean that you cannot have successful basketball programs. That's why I referenced UF. There is no reason why USF cannot have success in Men's and Women's Basketball.

Yes, winning the Big East in Men's Basketball would be much more of an accomplishment than it would be in winning the league for Football.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

You guys are all crazy.  This isn't a basketball or football school.

This is a soccer school!!!  Best USF sports team!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

You guys are all crazy.  This isn't a basketball or football school.

This is a soccer school!!!  Best USF sports team!

Soccer?  you are crazy... we are a softball school  (or sailing)

Archived