• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dell: Bulls' Mompremier still hopes to return

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

logo2.gif

Bulls' Mompremier still hopes to return

USF linebacker recalls horrifying pain after recent injury nearly left him paralyzed

By ALAN DELL

CORRESPONDENT

Published: Wednesday, October 1, 2008 at 1:00 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 at 11:12 p.m.

TAMPA -

Brouce Mompremier described it as the most terrifying 10 minutes of his life, something he wouldn't wish on anybody.

The University of South Florida linebacker lay motionless on the field, unable to move anything but his neck after colliding with a teammate in their Sept. 20 game against FIU.

"It's the most frightening thing you can go through," Mompremier said. "I was laying on the ground and couldn't feel or move anything, but my neck. It was the longest, scariest 10 minutes of my life."

Mompremier then felt the most excruciating pain that he ever experienced. He looks back at that moment by saying pain never felt so good.

"Every place they touched me I felt a real sharp, sharp pain, but I was so glad to be feeling that," Mompremier said.

The senior compared it to that "pins and needles" feeling people get when they fall asleep on their arm or hand and wake up and the blood starts flowing back into that area. It was 10-fold the pain, but a feeling that was beautiful, said Mompremier.

"The pain was incredible, but I felt a sense of relief," Mompremier recalled. "I started to relax. The pain started rising from my legs all the way up my arms. I was conscious through the whole ordeal.

"When I couldn't feel anything at first, I kind of panicked. The pain took everything else off my mind. Before that I was thinking how I would be able to cope without being able to walk and not being able to play football."

Mompremier spent the night at a Miami hospital. When he awoke the next day he was just thankful to be walking again. He had heard about other injuries that took place in college football that day and felt fortunate.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pounder was told by the doctors that X-rays proved negative. He has chips in his neck, some of it perhaps caused by his years of playing football, which began in the sixth grade. He is out until all the pain goes away, but is not sure if he will play again.

"I can't do anything until I am cleared by the doctors. Then it's going to be my decision," Mompremier said. "I am taking it one day at a time. When I do get cleared, the only thing I will be worried about is the mental part and figuring out how to tackle again.

"I am not sure how that would turn out when I have to tackle someone. I was thinking how I would position my neck and if I would use more of my shoulders. I am not sure what I would do."

Mompremier has been playing football since he was about 12. He has been virtually injury free except for some ribs he hurt last season that caused him to miss the Pittsburgh game. This injury gave him a chance to reflect on his life and the game of football.

USF defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said Mompremier was one of the hardest working players he has ever coached and that he never took a play off.

"I always knew there was a risk playing football, but I wasn't prepared for what this might have been," Mompremier said.

Mompremier is hoping to return and be ready for Syracuse on Oct. 18.

"I still have some pain and the doctors said I can't return until all that is gone," Mompremier said. "I have a weird feeling in my forearms. I can't explain it, but it just doesn't feel right."

If he never plays again, Mompremier said he is OK with that. He is on schedule to graduate this fall with a major in criminology and is thinking of becoming a fireman.

"The doctors said there is no long-term damage and I am praying to be ready for the Syracuse game, but I am calm and taking it one day at time," Mompremier said.

"When I am done with the game, I want to walk away and be able to lead a normal life."

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Yes he does.

I don't think that there was anything wrong with the way he tackled, it was just that Williams' body was there that made him stub his neck, correct?

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Yes he does.

I don't think that there was anything wrong with the way he tackled, it was just that Williams' body was there that made him stub his neck, correct?

yeah... that was a freak occurence.  the chances of it happening again are extremely low.

the thing is, if a player comes back to the game tentative and is constantly thinking about how he's positioning himself and not just letting the game come to him, it could put him at greater risk.

every Bulls fan would love to see him back on the field, but his own physical AND mental well-being is the most important thing.

• Content Count:  645

Yes he does.

yeah... that was a freak occurence.  the chances of it happening again are extremely low.

the thing is, if a player comes back to the game tentative and is constantly thinking about how he's positioning himself and not just letting the game come to him, it could put him at greater risk.

every Bulls fan would love to see him back on the field, but his own physical AND mental well-being is the most important thing.

I agree totally with this.  I am extremely happy that he is able to talk about coming back, and we are all glad that this has turned out the way it has.

Maybe it is just me, but judging from some of his comments, we may have seen the last of Brouce on the field.  I am okay with that as long as he is healthy and happy.

• Content Count:  645

On a somewhat related note...

I saw a thread somewhere about medical redshirts.  Is the rule that you can take a medical redshirt if you have played in less than 1/3 of the games for the season and are injured?  If so, then I don't think a medical redshirt is available either.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Old timers might remember Vassay Marc, a Butkus award watch candidate for the bulls in 2000 whose Bulls career ended with a neck injury.  He had a herniated disc in his neck.

As memory serves, he never played another game for the Bulls after that injury. 

Point being, there is a difference between the game of football and the game of life.  I am sure Brouce, his doctors and USF will be sure that the right decision is made and that decision will be in Brouce's best interest.

Archived