• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East tie for proposed Toronto bowl game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Toronto approves bid to host bowl game    

Oct. 7, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports      

TORONTO -- A plan to bid for a college football bowl game here next year won support Thursday from a committee of the Toronto Council.  

A U.S.-based group, Sports World Interactive, wants to stage a game between teams from the Big East and Mid-America conferences at SkyDome in December 2005.

"One of the key economic benefits is the broadcast contract of the bowl game," said Duncan Ross, executive director of Tourism Toronto. "This will be seen by millions in the U.S.A., and perhaps some of those people will be introduced to Toronto for the first time."  

The economic development and parks committee, hearing estimates that the game could pump as much as $20 million into the local economy, decided to endorse the bid and send a representative to the NCAA's event-certification meeting next April.  

The city's support doesn't leave it open to any financial obligations, because Sports World Interactive has to acquire the TV deal, SkyDome contract, teams and sponsors, Ross said.  

"We're just simply endorsing it and allowing the city to be hosting the event," committee chairman Brian Ashton said. "It's all managed, and all the risks are with the NCAA and the promoting company."

From http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/7775883

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  164

I saw this yesterday on Yahoo, and it definitely sounds like a great idea to me.  I'd be all for this bowl since that's only a 3-4 hour drive from where I am.  Other than that, the only convenient USF game for me is every other year in Syracuse.

The only downside to the Toronto Bowl is that our opponent would be a MAC team.  Forgive me if that doesn't pique my interest all that much.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

makes sense to me.. Mac needs another bowl.. to guarantee them 2.  Mobile.. may or may not want to keep them with Marshall gone.. Be most likely will lose a bowl or 2 to the acc with UM BC and VT leaving.. Would be pretty close for Ne schools in the BE as well as for mac schools.