• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

another great article about BJ Upton

Matt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/20/sp-the-stage-is-his-its-up-to-upton-to-give-it-his/sports-rays/

ST. PETERSBURG - Maybe embarrassment finally kicked in. Or pride.

We thought that Monday night as Rays center fielder B.J. Upton stood with his hands on his knees at Tropicana Field. He'd loafed again, turning a double into an out. The next time he came to the plate against the Angels, he was booed in his own ballpark.

It's a shame, seeing a talented - and, yes, likable - kid sometimes strolling while others run, watching him play it cool in the heat of a playoff chase. His teammates are tired of it, too.

Upton said the right things before Tuesday's game. He has said them before, like after two recent benchings, but this time his words seemed to go deeper. Good. Maybe he finally gets it.

"There's no excuse for it," Upton said. "It can't happen, especially in the middle of a pennant race. ... I want to apologize for it."

In six weeks, he might be blinking champagne out of his eyes along with the rest of a team that never quit. Not quitting, it always matters.

We're at an important moment in Rays and Upton history.

"The last thing I want to become is a distraction to my teammates," he said. "We've got something way too good going on right now to have to deal with this."

The Magic Cuts Both Ways

Something way too good won again Tuesday. No quit. A three-run eighth beat the Angels. Everyone in baseball is watching the magic.

But that cuts both ways.

Upton's occasional lack of effort isn't a tree falling in another lost Rays season.

"People are watching worldwide now," Upton said.

The next six weeks could be the greatest stage of his life - or the worst.

It's up to him.

Maddon has benched him. Teammates have called him out, some publicly.

It's time.

They think he's better than this.

This isn't an Elijah Dukes, some lost soul.

Upton is a good kid. This can be handled.

So, handle it, B.J.

The day after his last benching, he hit a homer and drove in three runs.

But then came Monday.

His teammates hate to see him wasting these moments. Among them is Cliff Floyd. Upton admires Floyd. Who doesn't? Did you see the 35-year-old Floyd trying stretch singles into doubles on creaky knees on that last road trip?

Floyd was emotional as he talked about Upton.

He loves the kid.

"He's going to be the center of this thing for years," Floyd said. "I'd give anything to have his talent. Anyone would. I almost had tears in my eyes Monday watching him. It hurts so bad to see it. He's got to understand ... what happens now matters. You don't want to carry this around."

Upton's athleticism sometimes works against him. He looks like he's cruising even when he isn't, because he's that smooth. He can make the toughest play look easy. His dad, Manny Upton, talked about that a few weeks ago.

"Even when he got drafted, they said that," Manny said. "That was the rap. You see how he plays. He's not going to show much emotion. Cliff Floyd told me B.J. is probably one of the most intense guys he has ever played with, but he doesn't show it outwardly. He tries to keep everything under control. But he cares."

B.J. Upton owes as much out of respect for his team, this season - and his immense talents.

"I know it's not me," Upton said. "I feel like I go out and play hard every day. I want to win as much as anybody in this room."

Then show us. Show everyone.

It's About Team

Night after night, these Rays have backed each other. So it was that Maddon was tossed in the sixth inning Tuesday for arguing a horrible umpiring call that went against: B.J. Upton.

"Things haven't really been the best lately, and he went out there and had my back," Upton said. "You've got to love it. I'm glad he did it and it shows me a lot."

And there was the late rally around Upton taking a called third strike with the bases loaded. Yes, the Rays have B.J.'s back.

He has to have theirs.

And we're not talking about hits and catches.

Joe DiMaggio once was asked why he tried so hard every time.

"There might be someone watching who has never seen me play."

In the second inning Tuesday, B.J. Upton charged a single and threw a strike to get Torii Hunter at home. He received a standing ovation after the play and again as he reached the dugout.

It can be that simple sometimes.

The stage is yours, kid.

Do with it what you will.

Archived