• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU begins summer football practice

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/colleges/fiu/story/629503.html

FIU FOOTBALL

FIU begins summer football practice

BY PETE PELEGRIN

The Golden Panthers began preseason practices Monday 'fired up' about what lies ahead for the team in 2008, from a new stadium to a new offense.

About five minutes before sunrise Monday morning, the new season dawned for FIU football.

Not that it could have arrived any sooner for the Golden Panthers.

Coming off its lone win of 2007 in the season finale, working with a new offense this spring and welcoming its best recruiting class in the six-year history of the program, FIU took the field at 6:45 a.m. for its first fall practice 26 days before the season opener at Kansas.

While most of the campus was probably sleeping or just waking up on a sticky summer morning, the Golden Panthers went through conditioning drills.

With some of the offseason changes and what's in store for 2008, including a new on-campus stadium, FIU has plenty to be excited about.

''It's the best day in the world,'' coach Mario Cristobal said. ``We're fired up. We're stronger. We're running better. . . . Not bad for the first day.''

What has the Golden Panthers fired up is a revamped, fast-paced spread offense installed in the spring by new offensive coordinator Bill Legg, who ran the Big Ten's top offense at Purdue the past two seasons.

The question for Cristobal and Legg: Who will direct that offense?

UP FOR GRABS

Last year's starting quarterback, Wayne Younger, returned to practice for the first time since breaking his right collarbone against Florida Atlantic in the 11th game of last season.

After Younger went down, Paul McCall took over just before halftime against the Owls and completed 23 of 35 passes for 181 yards and two touchdowns.

The following week against North Texas, McCall threw three touchdown passes to lead the Golden Panthers to their first win since December 2005.

In the spring, McCall mastered the new spread offense while Younger rehabilitated his injury, leaving the coaching staff with a decision to make before the Panthers leave for Lawrence, Kan.

On Monday, the first of four practices Cristobal refers to as ''P.E. classes,'' because players are in shorts and shells and there is no hitting, the two quarterbacks showed no rust, completing several crisp passes.

''It was awesome to get back out here with the guys,'' McCall said. ``We've been working all summer in the weight room and doing 7-on-7s. It's nice to get out here and throw meaningful balls against the defense knowing the coaches are watching.''

SUMMER SCHOOL

Under FIU strength coach Roderick Moore's watchful eye, Younger went through a persistent rehab program to prepare for the start of camp.

Along with restrengthening his throwing shoulder and studying the new offense with Legg, Younger also rounded up several teammates throughout the summer to use as pass targets.

''My collarbone is great,'' Younger said. ``It took a lot of time getting my arm back strong enough. Just getting attempts every day, getting my arm motion back, that was the big thing. Every day we just progressed yards and yards. It was all just a process of getting back used to [football activity] and I think I'm pretty much there now.''

Younger showed no ill effects from the injury when he completed an intermediate pass to tight end Travis Felder during a 7-on-7 drill.

''[The quarterbacks] were very sharp with their calls,'' Cristobal said. ``They were very good in their decision-making. Judging by the charts, we chart every single play, they were 95 percent on in terms of decision-making. Younger looked sharp. He looked a little bit mechanical early in the conditioning drills and then after that he got going.

``He's a smart kid. He knows he's in for a tremendous battle with Paul.''

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I was actually slightly nervous about playing FIU.  I thought the atmosphere, though a small stadium, would make FIU tougher than it should be (like FAU).

But hell, if they are running a new spread offense they may not even get a FG.  This is excellent news.  There is no way they'll be able to use speed against us.  It'll probably give them strides in the Sun Belt, but this game should be won by a 35 point margin and letting BJ Danials finish off the fourth quarter (after Gregory does the 3rd).

Archived