• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Commit alert!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Sounds like he has his head on straight too.  ;D

GHS football player commits to USF

By Cliff Olsen

Special to The Sun

Published: Monday, August 4, 2008 at 6:01 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, August 5, 2008 at 12:56 a.m.

Gainesville High School offensive lineman Kendall Kelly remembers meeting South Florida coach Jim Leavitt for the first time last February. The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Kelly recalls the Bulls' coach being impressed with his size.

On Monday afternoon, Kelly made a big decision and committed to Leavitt and USF.

"I'm very happy. I liked the coaching staff and it is an added plus that they are an up-and-coming team that is right down the street," Kelly said. "They said they were going to be very aggressive in recruiting me and they were very aggressive in recruiting me."

The three-star prospect, according to scout.com, chose the Bulls over scholarships offers from Arkansas, Louisville, Middle Tennessee, Ohio and Charleston Southern.

"He is just very athletic, he has great feet and he has a great work ethic," GHS coach Ryan Smith said of his left tackle. "He is a great kid and a great human being, he is going to be a success at whatever he does."

Kelly and his parents traveled to Tampa on Monday to meet with the USF coaches and he pledged his allegiance to the Bulls at noon. USF was 9-4 last season and is ranked No. 21 in the USA Today/Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll.

"They want me to come in and work hard," said Kelly, who received his offer from the Bulls about a month ago. "They were telling me about the depth chart and they told me if I come in and do well early on I might have a chance to play."

According to rivals.com, Kelly has a 40-yard dash time of 5.3 seconds, with a maximum bench press of 330 pounds.

During the recruiting process, Kelly said he built a good relationship with offensive line coach Mike Simmonds.

"We have a lot in common," Kelly said. "We talk about twice a week."

Kelly, who plans on studying sports science, with a minor in journalism, said he liked how USF emphasized the student athlete. He also said it was cool that the Bulls play their home games in Raymond James Stadium, also home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Although his senior season with the Hurricanes has yet to start, Kelly, who grew up a Gators fan, has already looked ahead to crossing paths with former GHS teammate and current Florida defensive end Earl Okine.

"There is chance I could play right across from him, he plays defensive end and I play offensive tackle," Kelly said about USF's Sept. 11, 2010 game in The Swamp.

"Me and him talk smack together and playing against him would be pretty cool."

While Kelly's verbal commitment is not binding, he expects to be suiting up for USF in the future.

"I don't see myself making any changes," Kelly said. "I feel like it is set in stone and by February 6th I'll be a Bull."

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20080804/NEWS/771522771&title=GHS_football_player_commits_to_USF

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Now this is good news.  We need to keep the OL recruits a coming!

Archived