• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stampede- Sun Sentinel Preview-NO USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

So I open the paper today to see the following

"College Focus- UF, FSU, FAU and UCF preview"

Once you go to the page there are previews for UM and those mentioned.  I can understand the big 3 plus FAU which is local, but I am tired of them showing UCF and not USF.

I am going to write a strongly worded e-mail explaining how we are a ranked team with many kids from South Florida on our roster...oh and that we beat the hell out of UCF every year.

I cannot wait to move back to Tampa!

Provide us with some e-mail/phone numbers...

yeah i will call sun newspaper when i get a chance

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

That paper sucks...cancel your subscription now.

I'd take over the Tallahassee Democrat. That is a terrible paper. I'm about to subscribe to the New York Times.

• Content Count:  6,502

Is it possible to find out from the Alumni Association how many Alums live currently in each county?  Then those of use that live in the particular counties could email the local papers and request (read demand) USF sports coverage. 

In Brevard County The Florida Today gives major coverage to UCF, FSU, Miami and Gayturd.  I know there are more USF Alums in Brevard County than just me.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Then those of use that live in the particular counties could email the local papers and request (read demand) USF sports coverage. 

Hmmmm....here's the problem.

1. Think for a moment about the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of alumni we have living within a 100 mile radius of Fowler Avenue...

2. Consider - football wise - the number of season ticket accounts (+/- 5K)...

3. The underlying assumption being that alumni are necessarily (a) active post graduation and (B) have an interest in USF football.

Think there may be a couple of USF alumni walking around in blue and orange or garnet and gold? I'm just saying....don't confuse alumni with boosters. They may look alike, but they do behave differently.

• Content Count:  1,894

Im from lauderdale and they never put usf in the paper. It took those two huge wins and we got mentioned. They love Miami and even give Ucf alot of press but not usf.

• Content Count:  2,726

You know, i'm originally from Ft. Lauderdale.  And I would read the Sun-Sentinel all the time. 

Now-a-days, I cannot believe the lack of disrespect we get from out of town papers.  One day it will come, but come on!

It is weird, many of my friends down there still don't know USF even exists.  Which is a hell of a tragedy!  We should have our 2nd strongest alumni base there!!!

I say stampede...make them talk about us.  Give me the number and I'll email.

GO BULLS!!!

Wooly...

The number for your point #1 ... 90,000 USF Alumni in the Tampa Bay area...

Which is paltry when you consider the total population is more than 4 million -- so for every 1 USF grad in Tampa Bay, there are at least 44 other people with no ties to USF.

• Content Count:  687

Thanks for both sides of the debate on this one.  Sorry to get it started but this has been years and years of frustration for us Bulls down here in South Florida.  They did have UM in the article but also left out FIU....so I will give them a few days to give USF some love, however we deserved to be in the SUNDAY edition (when most people actually look at the paper) with the other true Florida football schools.  They have put info on UCF instead of USF in the paper for years now and it is bs.

I wrote the sports editor a strongly worded yet factual email (bcs school, one of two ranked state schools, USF alumni info and the fact that we beat the hell out of UCF every year) and will keep everyone posted on any reply received.  Thanks for the great ideas and insights..I would love to know how many Bulls are here in South Florida.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,785

Wooly...

The number for your point #1 ... 90,000 USF Alumni in the Tampa Bay area...

Which is paltry when you consider the total population is more than 4 million -- so for every 1 USF grad in Tampa Bay, there are at least 44 other people with no ties to USF.

And it would be interesting to take the 44, sub-divide them by interest to see what that population represents as far as football alumni interest is. Are we assuming that the number of UF, FSU, & UM alumni in the bay area outnumber the count of USF alumni? Or do we say that interest in 'the big 3' - regardless of alumni representation in this geographic area - outstrips interest in USF?

While it may be easy to identify alumni, vice those with an 'interest', I don't think you want to draw the conclusion that just because you graduated from USF, you necessarily care enough about Bulls Football to care one way or another about out of town papers. Just sayin...because the papers write to their market.

..Now-a-days, I cannot believe the lack of disrespect we get from out of town papers. 

You say that like it's a bad thing.... ;)

• Content Count:  1,894

good point about writing to their market. Kids from Ft.lauderdale flock to Ucf...it might be the number 1 alternative from Uf for kids here. Then you have Fsu,Um,Fiu,Fau which all get more kids from Lauderdale than Usf so it makes sense but still you must show some attention to the other "ranked" program.

Archived