• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RF365:Second in a series on Big East newcomers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  526
  • Days Won:  0

Very true about Butler.  I live in Fort Myers and have seen him play.  He could've been a RB at most non-BCS schools regardless of his size.

SOUTH FLORIDA

The fact that Tyson Butler is contending for a starting cornerback spot at South Florida says a lot about the Bulls' running back situation.

As a senior at Cypress Lake High School in Fort Myers, Fla., Butler ran for 1,928 yards and 27 touchdowns, including one prep game for the ages. Against Cape Coral Baker, the 5-11, 170-pounder gained a mind-blowing 439 yards on 31 carries and produced touchdown runs of 70,50, 39,30,11 and 8 yards. His rushing yardage might have been a lot higher, except that he kept running out of room in the end zone.

Butler's size may have been a factor in the switch for corner -- that, and the fact that the departure of NFL draftee Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams makes that position the most pressing question mark for Jim Leavitt's team in 2008.

Another candidate to step up there is another redshirt freshman, Quenton Washington. Also from Lee County, Fla., Washington intercepted 12 passes as a senior at North Fort Myers High School and returned six for touchdowns, including two against Cape Coral Baker (not the best year for them, apparently).

Together, Butler and Washington hope to turn that question mark into an exclamation point.

Another redshirt freshman with a rep is QB Alton Voss of Holiday, Fla., an outstanding double threat in high school. The spring game was a learning experience for the 6-2, 220-pounder, however, who was sacked three times and noted wryly: "I've got to stop running around like a chicken with my head cut off."

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/cfb-news/11387

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I am also down in FTM, and Washington did not get much attention playing on the same team as Noel Devine, although he had 12 ints as a senior as well as 4 or so offensive touchdowns.  Devine being in Lee County is also why Butler did not get much attention as he played the same position.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Rather than Voss as the third RS freshman, I am surprised he did not mention Darren Powe or Patrick Hampton on the D-line, who had good spring games, or Patrick Richardson at WR who also had a good spring game.  Voss did run around like a chicken with its head cut off, glad he realizes it so he can work on getting better.

• Content Count:  526

I am also down in FTM, and Washington did not get much attention playing on the same team as Noel Devine, although he had 12 ints as a senior as well as 4 or so offensive touchdowns.  Devine being in Lee County is also why Butler did not get much attention as he played the same position.

Thats right you are in FTM...If you and your family set up a Bulls watch party then I'm there. I'll go to home games in person when I can but road games definitely in FTM.

Your absolutely right about Devine.  If not for him Butler would've definitely made some noise. 

• Content Count:  919

Anxious to see Butler and Washington play.  The future at CB should be bright with those two.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this will be a year of unpredicatability and surprises

Archived