• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happens when schools pull scholarships...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Days Won:  0

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this...but this is a tough story to read.

"If you remember the uplifting story of Ray Ray McElrathbey, the Clemson running back who rescued his younger brother from a bleak home life two years ago by bringing the boy to live with him and becoming his legal guardian, you may not want to know about the latest developments in his saga, which aren't nearly so heartwarming. This is the world of big-time college athletics and, sooner or later, that world almost always turns cold...."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/phil_taylor/03/12/mcelrathbey.clemson/index.html

• Content Count:  526

From SI.com...

Clemson football coach Tommy Bowden made a business decision when he chose not to renew the scholarship of tailback Ray Ray McElrathbey. McElrathbey is the player who fought to win custody of his younger brother, Fahmarr, in 2006 because their mother was too addicted to drugs to raise the boy properly. Clemson basked in the positive PR, and the NCAA allowed Ray Ray to accept outside financial help to support his brother. But while McElrathbey's Q-rating soared, he never moved up the depth chart. Bowden -- who may have other reasons he hasn't revealed -- decided he couldn't afford to spend one of his 85 scholarships on McElrathbey, and the coach offered the player a graduate assistant's role that would help McElrathbey earn a master's degree after he graduates in August.

You are talking about a player that doesn't have much talent (definately wouldn't start for the Bulls) so his options are limited.  Don't even think about the NFL.  He was given the option to get a Masters degree for free...but he declined.  I don't think he was treated badly at all.

Ray Ray's mom has made a statement..."McElrathbey's mom appreciates Clemson's generosity."  Read the entire story not just the beginning

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3291458

• Content Count:  1,894

He doesn't have much talent??? He was a 3 star db out of high school positional rank was 32nd. He could easily come give us depth at db. I think we would not use him as a running back but he was an athlete in school and played multiple positions from what it looks like. I think you could of done better research before saying he has no talent. I think  cjl might make him look like a star.

Offers from : clemson,arkansas,florida,gtech,minnesota and tulane. I don't think there is a question of talent here but he got lost in the pretty deep backfield for Clemson which had not 1 but 2 horses.

• Content Count:  526

He doesn't have much talent??? He was a 3 star db out of high school positional rank was 32nd. He could easily come give us depth at db. I think we would not use him as a running back but he was an athlete in school and played multiple positions from what it looks like. I think you could of done better research before saying he has no talent. I think  cjl might make him look like a star.

Offers from : clemson,arkansas,florida,gtech,minnesota and tulane. I don't think there is a question of talent here but he got lost in the pretty deep backfield for Clemson which had not 1 but 2 horses.

Its easier to talk about "what ifs" than "what is" for most people.  I don't care how many stars he had out of high school or who recruited him.  Theirs way too many great high school athletes that don't become good college athletes to count.  If he was highly recruited then he had to have talent but not at this level.

He took a personal action by going to Clemson and just like all actions... there's a reaction.  He went there and WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY, period.  If he was THEN HE WOULD STILL BE PLAYING, AT ANY POSITION.  My statement was referring to the fact that he is not good enough to start and possibly not good enough to back up either.  Obviously Bowden thinks its the latter. 

He didn't come to USF so i'm not going to waste a single second of my life thinking about how good he MAY have been.  I live in reality not in make believe.  Maybe you should move to UCiF and talk fantasy with them...  I know they love that kind of stuff.

• Content Count:  1,894

What is the problem with him. He wasn't good enough to beat out James Davis or C spiller. They are pretty good lol. What if?...This is a good kid off the field. I'm speculating if he were to come here because you said he wouldn't start here. Well I never disagreed with that.  Were on a team with little depth. I didn't say he'd start. I said he had some sort of talent..I don't think you can even question that. I don't think its too funny when you insult me and tell me to go to ucif with that kind of statement. If you want to insult another person who bleeds the same colors as you then you belong at ucf because If fantasy means I'm in a discussion forum where people speculate and talk about what if 75 percent of the time then your the one who is mixed up.

• Content Count:  171

Sometimes the talent evaluators miss.

A kid can look awesome in high school but it doesn't transfer to college when he's competing against equal or better athletes everyday.

Just like the pros draft people who are total busts (Ryan Leaf, Bosworth, Mandarin etc etc etc) the same thing happens in college.

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Sometimes the talent evaluators miss.

A kid can look awesome in high school but it doesn't transfer to college when he's competing against equal or better athletes everyday.

Just like the pros draft people who are total busts (Ryan Leaf, Bosworth, Mandarin etc etc etc) the same thing happens in college.

Ryan Leaf was not a bust because he lacked talent.  He was a bust because he never tried to learn the NFL.  He never put effort into HS or College football and refused to take guidance for the NFL.

I just think it's a bad example.

• Content Count:  2,118

plus ryan leaf was a ***** and cry baby.

Archived