• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

thoughts on taunting the opposing players: v. baseball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I am really not a fan of smack talk to amature athletes.  I am all for making noise in circumstances where it is beneficial to the Bulls.  The university smack is ok with me, though I don't really engage in it (i.e. just like football chant at UCF).  I really don't like the smack directed at specific players.  That is just me.

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

when it isn't meant for hatred and just for the passion of taunting it is not that bad. We have seen many of the people that heckle you come back and say hey good job guys or laugh with you. Example in Ecu they have a spot in left field I believe they call the jungle. "Welcome to the jungle". It is no more than a keg party. Well Myron Leslie...D.I..and some other upperclassmen were getting owned by some drunk fans. They laughed as they would make comments even though from another perspective these guys could be taken really serious but they are die hard fans who love baseball. They would call the hotel and talk to the guys directly. They ended up running into those guys outside of the game at night when they were eating and the guys talked to them,sat with them, and were nothing but friendly. It is just part of the game. Cursing and anything really drastic is obviously out of line but it's ok to have some fun with it.

• Content Count:  356

The whole thing struck me as kind of bush league...sort of a "we aren't really a hostile environment, so this is the best we could come up with"kind of thing...the sparse crowds make the few taunters stand out, which makes it better or worse, depending on how you look at things...

• Content Count:  1,894

Very true. The surrounding enviroment  supports it by being loud enough that they don't stand out to the point where they look like a-holes or like you said it's quiet and they look like they are a disgrace to the school. Theres a time to taunt.

• Content Count:  2,726

You know, I don't know if many of you know who I am.  But I can be pretty loud at Basketball games(lol)...and Baseball games too(haven't been to many this year because of school).  There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little friendly heckling.

My biggest rule: Stay Classy, Ron Burgandy

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Little Pete from The Adventures of Pete & Pete was the best baseball trash-talker ever.

• Content Count:  760

The trash talking should keep coming, but some of what I've heard is really ridiculous. I mean, making fun of their mom or sister or saying "they were great last night" is really unneccessary. Sometimes they (the loud front row guys) hit a couple of good ones and the crowd gets into it. Other times it gets awkwardly silent. Point is, there are times to take the opportunity to heckle in baseball, if you force it, it usually doesnt work. In my opinion anyway

• Content Count:  1,254

You know, I don't know if many of you know who I am.  But I can be pretty loud at Basketball games(lol)...and Baseball games too(haven't been to many this year because of school).  There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little friendly heckling.

My biggest rule: Stay Classy, Ron Burgandy

GO BULLS!!!

Unfortunately, "Hey, sit down coach" gets old really fast. Get some new material.

• Content Count:  1,297

"We need a pitch not a belly-itcher.....sing it in the lock.....eating Betty Crocker."

• Content Count:  171

The trash talking should keep coming, but some of what I've heard is really ridiculous. I mean, making fun of their mom or sister or saying "they were great last night" is really unneccessary. Sometimes they (the loud front row guys) hit a couple of good ones and the crowd gets into it. Other times it gets awkwardly silent. Point is, there are times to take the opportunity to heckle in baseball, if you force it, it usually doesnt work. In my opinion anyway

I think you may be referring to the Seton Hall game where the pitcher's mom and sister confronted the hecklers.  The mom and sister were pretty whacko from what I could see.

Agree that of all of the heckling prob 10-25% is funny - they go the entire game when a few well timed barbs would be better.

I heard one of the Oklahoma hitters tell a teammate while on deck "that guy has said the same thing 25 times".  At our park they can't drown it out.

Archived