• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looking for suggestions/tips on buying motorcycle

Griggsy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

The Yukon is killing me on gas...and I'm hearing rumors we may be up to $4/gallon by the time summer gets here. I've wanted a bike for awhile for 'fun' purposes, but now it's getting to the point that I can actually justify the purchase from a finance standpoint.

The drawback is that - beyond my childhood days on a YZ125 - I have no experience with bikes. I don't know what's good/what's bad/what to look for/which brands I should stay away from, etc.

I think I want a cruiser, but I don't want to pay Harley prices. My price range maxes at about $6k.  Honda seems like a safe bet.  I'm currently looking at something like this: http://tampa.craigslist.org/mcy/599383924.html

01010601150401161320080308a5a6866149949e82690047ed.jpg

A coworker mentioned I look for shaft drive vs. chain or belt. It's these sort of tips I'm looking for.

Also, Im a big guy -- 6'2" 280...so keep that in mind.

Any help appreciated. Many thanks

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

My suggestion... get a motorcycle/coffin combo deal.

J/k (i hope).

I don't like motorcycles at all... too many bad drivers on the road.  You might be the best motorcycle driver in the world, but all it takes is one bad move by someone in a car and you are toast. 

But on that same note... I fully respect the decision to drive one... I just wouldn't do it myself.

• Content Count:  808

Believe me ... I share your concerns. I'm hoping that my driving primarily on the Crosstown during off-peak hours and wearing nothing short of chain-mail armor will make it a little less dangerous. But you're right, there's only so much I can do to make myself safe.

Who knows, maybe if more people start riding bikes due to gas costs and the accidents begin to pile up, our government will take a serious look at alternative energy solutions. Yeah, who am I kidding.  ;)

• Content Count:  771

For your weight and height, any "cruizer" motorcycle will fit you well. The big thing is that if you haven't had time on a bike, is getting that additional training. There are a few motorcycle teaching schools offered, check one of them out.

On the motorcycle itself, look for scratches around the lower part of the frame - discoloration in paint on fevers vs tank - check the foot pegs and exhaust for road rash - check the rims for brake dust and lack there of - feel how strong the clutch is (important as this is your lifeline)

Most importantly, get a helmet and riding gear. I don't know how many people have survived with just these two things... the cost may make you cry upfront, but the cost of the initial purchase vs that of the potential accident is well worth the investment.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I don't like motorcycles at all... too many bad drivers on the road.  You might be the best motorcycle driver in the world, but all it takes is one bad move by someone in a car and you are toast. 

Don't forget all of the idiots on crotch rockets that zoom through lanes of traffic going 90+.  I don't buy that "Watch Out For Motorcyles" crap until the motorcylcists I see are more responsible.

Now the cruisers and hogs, they're okay in my book.

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Beware of big things that may be stopped along the highway  :o

image005.jpg

I like your chain mail idea, it just may not be enough.

http://survival.com/IVB/lofiversion/index.php?t18820.html

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

15facts.jpg

Stick with the Yukon and find somebody to carpool with.

Archived