• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hawkins looks to sway USF prospects on visit

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Hawkins looks to sway USF prospects on visit

BY BYRON SAUCER

Star-Banner

Vanguard High senior and South Florida pledge Jeff Hawkins leads a group of 10 prospects visiting Tampa this weekend as the Bulls try to put their stamp on what is shaping up to be a top-50 recruiting class.

The tight end was the first verbal commitment for the Bulls back in April, and though he's had interest from other programs during the past nine months, he hasn't wavered.

"This is it for me," Hawkins said. "I'm committed to USF. I'm just waiting on signing day now."

Hawkins (6-4, 240), listed as the nation's No. 34 TE by Scout.com, will join six other committed prospects in trying to persuade a few more highly-touted recruits to join USF.

The Bulls will focus on swaying Auburn commit George Baker (5-11, 170), Illinois pledge Corey Liuget (6-3, 260) and uncommitted WR Tommy Streeter of Miami Northwestern.

Streeter (6-6, 200), a 4-star prospect, has offers from more than a dozen programs, but seems seriously interested in the Bulls. After breaking his arm in an all-star game, Streeter cancelled his Jan. 11 visit to USF, but quickly rescheduled. He has also visited South Carolina, Oregon and Boston College. Miami is also considered the darkhorse to land Streeter.

Liuget, another 4-star per Rivals.com, committed to Ron Zook & Co. in mid-October, but has recently been shopping around. The nation's seventh-rated defensive tackle has since visited LSU, Miami and FSU, but will listen to what Jim Leavitt has to say about the Bulls over the weekend.

Baker, listed as a "soft verbal" to Auburn, has also visited UCF and Rutgers.

"We're just going to try and show them a good time around USF," Hawkins said of the committed players' role this weekend. "It will definitely be a great experience for everyone, and hopefully they'll make the right decision."

Like most of the other Bulls pledges in town this weekend, Hawkins will be doing a practical check of the USF facilities.

"On this visit I'm really hoping to check out the dorms and get a chance to figure out what I want to major in when I get there," Hawkins said. "What sold me (on the USF football program) was the way the coaches and players just love what they do and try and get better every single day."

South Florida has 22 verbal commitments, including 4-stars DE David Bedford (6-5, 240) and WR Anthony Jones. The Bulls 2008 class is ranked No. 56 nationally.

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080126/SPORTS/801260325/1368/googlesitemapnews

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Kids that want to be here and can sell the program to others is important.  Hopefully Hawkins and the others can be effective on showing the others what USF can offer.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Kids that want to be here and can sell the program to others is important.  Hopefully Hawkins and the others can be effective on showing the others what USF can offer.

I agree. Cedric Hill was very important in getting Quavon Taylor to commit. If you remember, Hill originally signed with Miami, but they oversigned and wanted him to greyshirt and enroll in January. He then elected to drop UM and sign instead with USF. Taylor, like Hill, would be down on the depth chart at UM, and Hill convinced him that he'd be much better off at USF.

Selvie was instrumental in getting Bedford to commit.

I don't know which of our verbals visiting will have a direct impact on any of those three players, but since there are so many coming, their cumulative effect may be even more significant. 

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Hawkins has the character I like in players. He isnt even here yet and he's working on getting some new teammates.

Archived