• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dawgpound

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

"If the season ended today, UCF would be playing for the BCS National Championship"

Because, you know... that was the big story for a nice part of the season for us.

Not to play the part of the UCiFer/devil's advocate, but it should be noted that the "nice part of the season for us" lasted a mere four days...

Technically, yeah, but the build up from 18 to 6 to 5 to 2 was a month-long process that culminated in that conversation... even after it, we only dropped to 10 and were still a big part of the picture until we tanked the other two.

Point is... UCF hasn't sniffed 25 seriously ever, much less had the words "national championship" mentioned in the same sentence as the school without it being a punchline to a joke.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

Matt, you're throwing that IF word around quite a bit.  As an anti-BCS guy, it was a little refreshing to see so many teams have legitimate shots.  Unfortunately, none of those teams took advantage.

I didn't say UCF is a mid level BCS caliber team.  I said we are setting up to be one.  This class and last class are extremely talented and could easily eclipse this year's squad as a whole.

I gotta say, this thread grew awfully fast.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Matt, you're throwing that IF word around quite a bit.  As an anti-BCS guy, it was a little refreshing to see so many teams have legitimate shots.  Unfortunately, none of those teams took advantage.

I didn't say UCF is a mid level BCS caliber team.  I said we are setting up to be one.  This class and last class are extremely talented and could easily eclipse this year's squad as a whole.

I gotta say, this thread grew awfully fast.

Yeah, "if"... but, unlike UCF, our "ifs" nearly became reality.  And it was a good ride while it lasted... still is. 

Ask me in August 2007 if I'd be happy with USF being ranked in the Top 25 to end the season, and I'd say absolutely.  The fact that it feels like a disappointment speaks volumes to the quality of the season we had.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

"If the season ended today, UCF would be playing for the BCS National Championship"

Because, you know... that was the big story for a nice part of the season for us.

Not to play the part of the UCiFer/devil's advocate, but it should be noted that the "nice part of the season for us" lasted a mere four days...

Technically, yeah, but the build up from 18 to 6 to 5 to 2 was a month-long process that culminated in that conversation... even after it, we only dropped to 10 and were still a big part of the picture until we tanked the other two.

That nice part of the season lasted right up until the UConn game...

Point is... UCF hasn't sniffed 25 seriously ever, much less had the words "national championship" mentioned in the same sentence as the school without it being a punchline to a joke.

Are you talking BCS top 25?

Almost doesn't cut it.  Either you win or you lose.  You guys had a great run, but you didn't make it to the finish line.  While it could help build towards next year, "IFs" almost being a reality sounds very moral to me.

We almost (Insert accomplish here) is a moral victory.

• Content Count:  1,238

It seems that KB keeps running around asking the dame silly questions.

1. UCF is a good mid-major program setting itself up to be able to compete with midlevel BCS competition.

2. While the comparison wouldn't be equal, we do have a regular season game out there.  Since it isn't a bowl game, I'd expect no more than half of your bowl attendence would go.  As I said, it's not a balanced apples to apples comparison.

usf needs to play ftu/ou/oc every year

No

• Content Count:  211

No one is saying that "We almost went to the NC game."  We are saying that we have been ranked as high as #2 in the entire BCS after the 7th week of play.  We never claim our losses to be victories, which is what a moral victory is.  Unlike a lot UCF fans I have see who say "we almost beat Texas! rah rah rah,"  USF fans like myself feel the pain and regret of the LOSS that comes to teams that have something on the line. 

Remember when we were ranked #6?  I was at a conference in Orlando and reppin my bulls shirt when a UCiFer walked up and said to me "Hey, it must feel good to have been ranked 6" and then he patted me on the back.  The supposition of course was that we would lose that game ::cough cough 64-12 Cough cough: .    Needless to say, the KAnigits were just another stepping stone for us in this season. 

When you see USF saying "oh man, we almost won the Orange bowl in 2010, or oh man we almost won the NC, etc. etc," then AND ONLY then will we be claiming any moral victories. 

_EI used the term almost.  The rest of your argument is moot.  He, one of this board's USF spokespeople, used the words of a moral victory.

• Content Count:  211

the term "almost" doesn't necessitate the words of a moral victory.  First you need to supply the context of the word in order for your point to be valid.  Examples, "I almost got hit by a car;" "I almost ate rotten cheese;"  etc.  None of these uses of the term almost implicate the existence of a moral victory.  The Burden of proof is on you to show that the Bulls are in any way similar to the UC"iF"ers.  When you get back to me with your proof of a moral victory in any one's minds here on this board, I will quite easily show you how your lesser education at UCF has handicapped you in the use of argument.  If I fail, then I'm an egoist and deserve to not engage in argument any more.  If I succeed,  you must return to your crappy UCF boards and stop hanging out with the cool kids.  You don't fit in here anyways.  :)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

_EI used the term almost.

Not on this thread.

Archived