• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another FBS member? U.S.A. votes to start a football team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

South Alabama trustees vote to start football program in 2009

The Associated Press

MOBILE, Ala.: The University of South Alabama's board of trustees voted unanimously Thursday to start a football program in a long-discussed move for the university.

The university plans to field a team starting in 2009 and make a full transition to the Football Bowl Subdivision by 2013.

South Alabama President Gordon Moulton told the trustees he recommended the move because of support from alumni and students. More than 2,500 students signed a petition in favor of football even though it will mean increased student activity fees.

"This effort is really about the students and alumni, and bringing them closer to the university," Moulton said. "We also believe this will strengthen our already close relationship with the community."

South Alabama competes in the Sun Belt Conference in 14 sports. League Commissioner Wright Waters said the Jaguars football team would join the Sun Belt "as soon as they get their Division I-A certification."

Moulton and athletic director Joe Gottfried hope to hire a head coach early next year.

The program will largely be funded by a $300 increase in annual student activity fees, projected to generate about $3.5 million per year. The school also plans to start a 200-member marching band.

The national alumni association has pledged $50,000 over the next five years to help with startup costs for the program.

The team is expected to play at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. City Council President Reggie Copeland has said the university will likely be allowed to use the stadium free of charge for five years.

SOURCE

(INTERESTING NOTE: The last FOUR programs to move from I-AA to I-A all play in the Sun Belt Conference: Troy, FAU, FIU, and Western Kentucky.  The one below would make #5 --- Time to get G'town and Nova to move up!!).

Okay - I'm gonna move this one myself...  ::)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

seems to me they are so completely underfunded from the start that this should fail miserably.

We had a benchmakr of 10 million before we would start our program--- and this was 12 years ago. They are 1/3 of that number.

Hell--- the guy stated 1-A certification-- so out of touch that he doesn't even know it is called the FBS now.

seems to me they are so completely underfunded from the start that this should fail miserably.

We had a benchmakr of 10 million before we would start our program--- and this was 12 years ago. They are 1/3 of that number.

[glow=yellow,2,300]Hell--- the guy stated 1-A certification-- so out of touch that he doesn't even know it is called the FBS now. [/glow]

That would be Sun Belt Commissioner Wright Walters, not someone with USA.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

South Alabama was supposed to start this program around 2001, but didn't due to lack of funding and ticket sales.

I can't figure out what changed between then and now.

Archived