• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We would have been screwed / UConn to Meineke

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Sad day.  UConn does not belong in Charlotte, despite their record.  The ref's completely blew the Temple and Louisville game.  They beat us fair and square, though I still question that Cedric Hill hold. 

Cinncinnati belongs in Charlotte.

http://www.connpost.com/sports/ci_7571873

conference games are meaningless

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

For me, I thought UConn was the worst loss. I never expected UConn to beat us, and we were UConn's only good win because the Louisville win had it's controvercy. We could have very easily gotten the tying touchdown but we tried to pound it in with the fourth string running back.

• Content Count:  291

UConn played an easy schedule, they will get destroyed in the Mieneke Car Care Bowl.  It will be ugly.  I believe they do not have enough horse power for ACC teams such as Wake or Clemson.  Said that we did not have our A game going otherwise we would have beat them. 

If they are as bad as every one thinks, what is scary is that we needed our A game to beat them.

Ddin't need our A game possibly C+ or B-, but instead we brought our D- game. Same thing with Cinci, but the thing is even after playing so terrible "any good team" would have destroyed us, but we still were in position to win. Even while playing our worst possible game, we are still good enough to beat Cinci, Rutgers, and UCONN.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

smazza, I have never once questioned your devotion to USF.  I know you love this school, and you were at the forefront of the programs we were running back in the 1970s.

However, when you say this:

conference games are meaningless

And also post this

From Big East Board - "uconn must be pissed"

they finish second and are going to a crappy bowl

umm....

That's kind of like negating your own posts, right?

yeah.....

• Content Count:  148

I would think if Cincy got the Sun Bowl, We would have got the Car Care, and UConn would be eating pizza.

I couldn't disagree with you more.  If Cincy went to the Sun Bowl, we would have been competing against a team with a better BE record and one that beat us, with Cincy in the selection picture it diluted the record and standing disputes.  I do have a feeling that if we had one more game left and they invited FSU 1st, then maybe they would have liked the matchup, seeing how it doesn't appear a North Carolina team is eligible.  It sucks but it was either Sun or Pizza. 

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This, from the UConn blog, lends more credence to the argument that UConn would have gone to the Meineke over USF:

Some notes from what's turning into a long day...

I talked to Webb after the press conference for perhaps the 15th time in the last two weeks (yes, I think he's sick of me). He sounds as if he's hasn't slept since last Tuesday, and he expects his phone to be blowing up for several more hours. Anyway, Webb said his committee's vote between UConn and Cincinnati wasn't unanimous. "But it was lopsided in favor of UConn," Webb said.

I asked Webb why UConn? "The simple fact is they finished in sole possession of second place in the Big East," Webb said. "We've been looking at UConn and had our eye on them for several years. They rated high in fan support, though I don't think it's a significantly higher number than Cincinnati. Maybe a few thousand. But we looked at all kinds of things; head-to-head, overall record, conference record. The fact that the Charlotte Bobcats (of the NBA) play two home games in three days, with (ex-UConn center) Emeka Okafor playing in both those games is an extra draw. The tie-breaker between the two schools was UConn finished higher in the conference."

Since we lost to them head to head it wouldn't even come down to a tie breaker.

• Content Count:  971

If the weather turns bad, I'd bet on UCONN.  I really think that was part of their success this year . . . having the fortune to play some of the faster teams in lousy weather.  BTW, I was watching the Steelers-Dolphins game thinking that could have been us (Pitt 3 - USF 0).

Archived