• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Broncos' Hall makes most of opportunity

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.gazette.com/sports/hall_29931___article.html/first_lynch.html

Comments 0| Recommend 0

By JUSTIN PEDERSON

THE GAZETTE

November 20, 2007 - 12:02AM

DENVER -- Selvin Young, making his third start in place of Travis Henry, who was on the sideline nursing an injured left knee, had 45 yards on 14 carries before hurting his knee and leaving in the third quarter.

Relieving Young, Andre Hall ran for a 62-yard touchdown on his first carry. Hall finished with 89 yards on seven carries.

“It might be the only chance I ever get the way those guys run the ball,†Hall said. “In the offensive scheme, I don’t really get many chances and for me to be able to make a big run like that was huge for me.â€Â

Lynch returns

John Lynch played in his first game after missing three with a pinched nerve in his neck. Lynch played about 60 percent of the defensive plays.

“I think today I was a little hesitant at first to go stick it in the there, but to come out of a game like that healthy, I think next week I should be really good, so I’m just excited,†Lynch said.

Injuries have taken a toll this season, but the younger players have played well in a reserve role.

“You saw that kind of explosiveness out there tonight as an offense, and then to know that we’re getting maybe our most explosive player back in Javon (Walker), hopefully this week,†Lynch said. “I think it’s given other guys an opportunity, guys like Glenn Martinez, an opportunity to step up, and losing Travis (Henry) has given Selvin (Young) and Andre Hall a chance and they’ve seized the moment and that bodes well for us.â€Â

First score

Martinez’s 80-yard punt return touchdown was the first punt returned return for a touchdown by a Bronco since Rod Smith returned a punt against San Diego on Nov. 16, 2003.

“We always came close and you know we’ve been working really hard in practice on special teams and it starting to pay off for us and you saw that tonight,†said Martinez.

Hall and Martinez’s touchdowns were the first of their careers.

Timeouts

In a teleconference with the media Wednesday, when asked about the practice of coaches calling timeouts just before an opposing field goal attempt, Titans coach Jeff Fischer said, “As soon as a head coach ices a kicker and the kick is missed, and then re-kicked and made, I don't think you’ll see it happen ever again.â€Â

With nine seconds remaining in the second quarter Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, who made the practice popular against Oakland, called a timeout just before the snap only to watch Tennessee kicker Rob Bironas miss a 56-yard attempt. Bironas was good on the next attempt, cutting the deficit to 20-10 at halftime.

Elam moving up

Jason Elam’s 10 points pushed him into sixth place all-time in points, with 1,746. He became the third player to score 200 points on “Monday Night Football.†... Jay Cutler had his best single-game completion percentage (76.2) and quarterback rating (137.0).

• Content Count:  21,039
  • Days Won:  38

Brings a tear to me eye.

• Content Count:  695
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah it was great to see his touchdown, nice to see him having success in the NFL after he got screwed over in the 2006 draft.

Archived