• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Heath confident he’ll be able to build a winner at USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

naplesnews.com

Heath confident he’ll be able to build a winner at USF

By FRED GOODALL, AP Sports Writer

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

TAMPA — Stan Heath’s sparkling resume was more than enough to get Kentrell Gransberry excited about his senior season at South Florida.

Consecutive 20-win seasons and trips to the NCAA tournament the past two seasons at Arkansas, an Elite Eight appearance with Kent State five years ago, and a reputation as an outstanding recruiter who helped Tom Izzo assemble the talent that carried Michigan State to a national title and three Final Four appearances during a five-year span.

That’s a whole lot to like in Gransberry’s estimation.

Especially for a program that lost 28 of 32 conference games in USF’s first two years in the Big East.

“Just the excitement and the energy he brings to the table. I mean he’s already won a national championship ... so your eyes just light up like candy,” the 6-foot-9, 270-pound center said. “When you see candy, you just want to smile about it.”

Heath was fired at Arkansas despite revitalizing the Razorbacks program over the past five seasons. He called USF “a sleeping giant” when he moved to Tampa in April and is confident he can transform the Bulls into winners.

The 42-year-old is 112-77 in six seasons as a head coach and has been to the NCAA tournament three times. He was fired by Arkansas in March after the Razorbacks’ season ended with an opening-round NCAA loss for the second straight year.

Heath was 82-77 at the Southeastern Conference school, a record that certainly wouldn’t have cost him his job at USF. The Bulls haven’t had a 20-win season since 1989-90 and haven’t played in the NCAA tournament since 1992.

In two seasons in the Big East, they haven’t even made the conference tourney.

The Bulls return six of the top eight scorers, including three starters, from the squad that was 12-18 in its final season under Robert McCullum. Although they only won three conference games last winter, that was up from one the year before.

“When I inherited this team I looked at it as my team. ... This is not: ‘We’ll wait until I get guys that I recruit down the road.’ These were all guys that in my opinion I recruited because I had the choice to renew their scholarships or not,” Heath said.

“And ultimately, these are guys that we want to start a strong foundation with as we build our program into the future.”

Gransberry, the nation’s top returning rebounder after pulling down 11.4 per game as a junior, is the centerpiece of Heath’s plans for this season. He also shot nearly 58 percent and led the Bulls with a 15.6 scoring average last winter.

“I think his presence out there on the floor, what he can do offensively, defensively, rebounding wise, is really the trigger of our team, and we’ll revolve a lot of things around him,” Heath said.

“Our motto is simply to get better every day. It’s a daily thing of improvement, working hard, growing as a team, growing our chemistry. We’re excited in the fact that we have some guys that have proven themselves to some degree.”

The coach expects to be successful, but isn’t making any bold predictions about the Big East.

“I think there are a lot of people talking about Georgetown again, talking about Louisville, talking about Marquette. Those are all teams that return a lot of seasoned veterans that have had great success,” Heath said.

“But as you know, in a 16-team league there’s going to be some other teams that surprise and come on and develop as the year goes on. I expect our team to be a team that gets better from the beginning to the end, and that’s been kind of a trademark of teams I’ve coached.”

Link

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

I am so fired up. Cant wait for Friday, I only wish Gransberry was playing.

What did I miss out here in the Bulls' desert outpost?

Gransberry has to serve his 1 game suspension for playing in the basketball tourney.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

What did I miss out here in the Bulls' desert outpost?

Suspended for 1 game for playing in a summer tournament, thank g-d we are playing the Vikings and not another squad.

That's right, thanks. 

Don't take the Vikings lightly...I remember watching them dismantle Seth and the squad about 7 years ago.  :)

I don't like Heath's arrogance.

Fire Stan Heath!!!

(kidding.................relax)

Bring back McCullum.... He was a gem  ;)

We have a long list of "gems".  I suggest you boys look to the future.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

That's right, thanks. 

Don't take the Vikings lightly...I remember watching them dismantle Seth and the squad about 7 years ago.  :)

Really??  You got a copy of the box score on that game, who was playing for USF?

Archived