• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ESPN article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

I thought this was a well written and truthful article on ESPN's website.  Here is an excerpt:

Unlike most other teams, though, South Florida won't have another opportunity at playing in the BCS Championship Game for a national title.

When you're an 11-year-old college football program and belong to a conference that lost three of its best teams only three years ago, there are no mulligans.

But the Bulls deserve a mulligan as much as LSU or Oklahoma.

Here is the link to the rest of the story:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3070030

• Content Count:  5,246
  • Days Won:  2

yeah i read that... i also read all 30 pages of comments (as of friday).

of course, the conversation was mostly centered around SEC vs. Big 11 debate.  some people are so myopic its funny.

• Content Count:  2,478

I thought the article was pretty true. With one loss it would take an act of God to put us in the Nat'l championship.

We would have to win out and have at least OK or LSU lose one more and the computers would really help us out.

• Content Count:  16,395
  • Days Won:  43

Meanwhile, WVU has a better chance right now to play for the title than USF which is strange considering they were beat by the BULLS. College football is about when you lose, not who you lose to these days. There should be no way that SOUTHERN CAL has a shot at the title because they lost at home to Stanford who was a 41 pt underdog, but the sad thing is that Southern Cal has a better shot than USF. This is a major flaw in the BCS system that needs to be reworked into a plus 1 system. USF would have a better chance with the plus one system.

• Content Count:  2,719

Meanwhile, WVU has a better chance right now to play for the title than USF which is strange considering they were beat by the BULLS. College football is about when you lose, not who you lose to these days.

And that is the sad truth with today's polls. 

• Content Count:  154

If we were right around 7 or 8 in the BCS rankings, I really believe we'd have a legitimate shot at the title game with the way things have gone, even if we had one loss. But it would mean that we'd basically have to trounce the rest of our opponents. Are teams like ASU and Oregon that much better than us?

• Content Count:  635

everyone pretty much has to have that initial run at the top 5 before everyone accepts that they deserve to be a "top team" from then on out. WVU went through it, Louisville went through it, Rutgers went through it...now we are.

• Content Count:  92

Schlabach is absolutely right on with this article.  Considering all of the surrounding circumstances, our "loss" is better than Oklahoma's and as good as Oregon's (who lost at home!) and LSU's.  However, we were treated much more kindly in the polls than I thought we would be.  I think we are in a prime position to make a serious run at the end of the season and cause some more chaos for the BCS elitists.  However, we need a lot of help.

Archived