• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

my humble thoughts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  971
  • Days Won:  0

1.  We were overmatched on the line, both offensively and defensively.  Same as last year.

2.  I think Rutgers began preparing for us months ago, unlike the 5 days we spent preparing for them.  You don't install all those gadget plays and blitz schemes on a short week.  Of course, we had the preparation advantage against AU.

3.  If a certain unnamed special teams player has not learned to avoid the late hit by now, he never will.  Bench him or dismiss him from the team.  Again, our special teams coaching is subpar.  Nothing new here.

4.  Gregory and Canales never adjusted to their blitz packages.  In the first half, Grothe would sense the pressure, sprint out of the pocket, and then look for receivers who had abandoned their original routes and were just improvising.  That's his nature and it didn't seem to cause that many problems.  In the second half, I think the coaches told Grothe to stay in the pocket and look for open receivers on planned routes, but there was never an outlet back to throw to and the pocket eventually collapsed.  How many passes were thrown to running backs?  I don't remember any.

5.  I thought our play calling was too predictable.  Run on first down, pass on second and third.

We need to take what we can from this game and move on quickly.  Let's avoid what happened to Auburn, where they lost to MSU, in part, because they couldn't let go of their narrow loss to us.  Before the season began, I would have been thrilled to be 6-1 at this point in the season.  Although this loss to a good Rutgers team is painful, the publicity we got after that amazing 6-0 start is priceless.  GO BULLS! 

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Agreed with those thoughts.

I think our O Line is too injured and we lack depth.

I think we were robbed on that one touchdown.

Again, I did not see our Offense showing up.  It is all Grothe he is the man.  The rest of the O let us down (dropped passes, missed routes, not holding the d at the line, no one open - hardly ever.

The penalties were always on key plays.  Unacceptable. 

To me the score was closer than how well Rutgers played us (or we allowed them to play us).  It reminded me of when we used to upset big teams (like WVU at home this year, Louisville in the past, etc).  I know exactly how they felt. 

In the end, we did not belong at number 2. but I think we are top 15.  We need to set our sights on the BE championship and a BCS bowl.  Hopefully will only have 1 loss by then....

I still love the bulls, but I must say I felt a lot of dissapiontment last night...  Still do - the wounds hurt.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Let's not forget we are missing three of our five starters on the O-Line (Capagona, Huners, Walter).  That will test any team's depth.

• Content Count:  318
  • Days Won:  0

At the beginning of the season I, as most of us, thought the season came down to 4 games, Auburn, WV, Rutgers and Louisville.  I hoped for a split.  Right now we are 2-1 in that group with Louisville looking pretty good.

If I offered you a 3-1 record in those games on 9/1/07 with wins everywhere else on the schedule (including a 50 point blowout of a certain pain in the @$$ up I-4) how many of you would have taken it?  I'd have paid real cash for that deal.

Yes, this hurts like a morterforker.  Yeah the jack@$$es are laughing and chanting overrated.  But we're 6-1, we should continue in the rankings, we're bowl eligible, we will continue to be noticed.  I doubt the Pizza Bowl is awaiting us. 

We've got a long weekend to lick our wounds, pull the straps up tight and get ready to make someone pay.  We owe UConn for the debacle up there two years ago.  We owe Cincy for the debacle there last year.  We owe Louisville just because they are Louisville.  We can't overlook Pitt or Syracuse, although if Cuse keeps wearing those orange unis we migh need shades.  Let's kick some @$$, take some names and demand some respect. 

And when Fowler and Herbstreit and the rest of those clowns come around and tell us how great we are someday.  And when they finally stop being able to treat us as "that cute little commuter school", just smile, say thanks and enjoy the groveling the bastards have been forced to do!

Archived