• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pasqualoni on hot seat in Syracuse

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Link:  Pasqualoni on hot seat in Syracuse

Pasqualoni on hot seat in Syracuse

By JIM BUTTA

SYRACUSE, N.Y.-The heat is on in Syracuse.

After watching the Orangemen stumble and bumble their way to a 6-6 mark a season ago, critics of long time SU head coach Paul Pasqualoni all agree that 2004 will be a make-or-break season for the veteran coach.

Problem is, however, Syracuse will have to improve upon that mark with a quarterback that has never taken a snap in a collegiate game. Junior Xzavier Gaines went into the spring in a four-way battle for the starting quarterback job.

Sophomore Perry Patterson had the most experience, having replaced starter R.J. Anderson in six games last year, but not even that advantage helped him in the spring. None of the four have completed a pass in a collegiate game.

What will fuel the SU attack is the running of senior tailback Walter Reyes, who set SU single-season records for rushing touchdowns (20), total touchdowns (21) and points (128) in 2003. Reyes gained more than 1,100 yards and caught 38 passes for 375 more.

Sophomore Tim Washington gained 168 yards on 42 carries as the third team tailback.

Defensively, the front line lost all three starters. Junior James Wyche is the lone returnee. The secondary, however, appears to be in good shape as starters Anthony Smith and Diamond Ferri return at free safety and strong safety respectively.

Pasqualoni and his staff will have a big hole to fill at linebacker, however, as all-Big East middle linebacker Rich Scanlon has graduated. Junior Kellen Pruitt, who had 61 solo stops in 2003, and sophomore Kelvin Smith are back to ease the situation.

On special teams, the Orangemen welcome back both kickers and have experience at the return positions. Second team all-Big East choice at placekicker Collin Barber is back after connecting on 12-of-16 field goals and 33-of-34 PATs.

Pasqualoni, a 1972 graduate of Penn State, has amassed a 135-70-1 mark in 18 seasons of coaching-101-53-1 at Syracuse-but has lost two of three encounters against Rodriguez including last year's 34-23 loss in the Carrier Dome.

They have a tough schedule too.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

The Big East NEEDS them to succeed also.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

The Big East NEEDS them to succeed also.

would be nice

but what we NEED is WVU to step up with 10-1 or 11-0 and win a bowl game