• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SOUTH FLORIDA MUST BE STOPPED

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/story/2007/9/25/19395/2771

By SMQ

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:39:05 PM EDT

Depending on one's station in life, we tend to acquiesce more readily to certain realities than to others. As an unwitting, non-minority tool of modern society's hegemonic power structure, for example, I'm much more willing to champion the notion that Western technology, economics and influence has fueled plummeting hunger rates and a three-fold increase in global income over the past half-century than I am to surrender to accusations that the same forces might exact a terrible toll via global warming. This acceptance, and lack thereof, is a choice, essentially, based on which stories slide easily into the de facto outlook and which need to be more thoroughly vetted before they're allowed to bend the system.

As a partisan of a reasonably successful but decidedly non-upwardly mobile, second tier program, South Florida bends the system to a degree I can't find it within my rational capacity to accept. The notion, ten years ago, that USF might be playing West Virginia, of all teams, with very real implications on the national polls and positioning for huge year-end payouts, while Southern Miss toiled on, again, forever, in Thursday night obscurity, would not only have been laughable or farfetched, but closer to the very genuine definition of inconceivable. South Florida didn't exist ten years ago, not in any meaningful way. While Southern Miss was establishing itself as overlord of then-new Conference USA, USF's first team ever was toiling away without even a facility as a I-AA independent. At the same time, Louisville was preparing to finish 0-11 under Ron Cooper.

Southern Miss' mid-major, underdog status has never been difficult to accept, because it hasn't changed in my lifetime. Play elite teams annually, give them a decent game, beat one of them every few years, play well in the conference, win eight or nine and play in the Liberty Bowl, hopefully, or some other, lesser December bowl nobody watches. That's the reality of the program for the better part of the last quarter-century, and it's successful enough in the long haul. We take pride in consistency: a winning record every year, thirteen years running now. Nobody talks about national championships. By all existing evidence, winning Conference USA is the ceiling, and that's perfectly fine. That's what the program is. This is vastly preferably to going 2-6 in the SEC year after year.

Now: the dominoes that began to fall when Miami and Virginia Tech bolted for the Big East left an obvious opportunity in that league, which was not going to look like the SEC. And when it snapped up Louisville, that was one thing - the Cardinals had ascended from ashen depths to the top of the conference by 2004, and, like fellow C-USA refugee Cincinnati, brought a strong basketball presence to a basketball league. These were not more deserving teams on the field, by any means, but at least they had been around, and clearly offered more attractive markets than South-Central Mississippi. You win some, you lose some.

On the other hand, South Florida in a BCS conference was and is a slap in the face. It is an embarrassment. The first time South Florida played Southern Miss, in 2000, USM was in its 90th year of organized football; USF was in its third. USM was ranked seventeenth in the nation; USF was a "provisional member" in transition from Division I-AA, an obscure footnote not really worth putting on the schedule. USM won, 41-7, and took two of three from the stagnating Bulls from 2002-04. The loss, by three points and a missed field goal on the final play and unquestionably the high point of USF's mostly I-AA-laden 21-game home winning streak in 2002, was an abject humiliation, emphatically corrected in the next two meetings. South Florida roughly broke even in Conference USA, did not come close to contending for a conference championship and finished 4-7 in 2004, its last year in the league. But when the Big East came calling the same year with big bucks at stake, conference titles, two and a half decades of barely interrupted success and tradition - any tradition - couldn't hold a candle to geography and marketing.

No one is naive to believe it could be otherwise. The dollar is a titan towering over the corpses of history and justice. The Big East wanted Florida back, the market and the talent, wanted metro Tampa at all costs, and it got it. And here the bastards are, three years on, ranked, playing in a pro stadium with the upper deck closed off Friday to knock off a top ten team for the third year in a row, in front of a national audience, with the hopes of becoming a favorite itself for mega bucks in the new year. Louisville occupying that position last year was enough of a blow, and the Cardinals'sudden implosion (as well as TCU's, to a much lesser extent) is so, so sweet. UL's run could be on life support, and if I could, I'd provide the pillow, or at least another ten years' salary for Steve Kragthorpe to oversee its vegetative state.

But even that analogy presumes USF deserves a run, too, and it does not.  For so many reasons, South Florida cannot win Friday, because it is not really a good team, because its success has been fluky, an illusion, and because I still need South Florida to be in the Big East what it signed up to be: a fifth-place punching bag whose occasional competence kept it hovering around mediocrity. This is who you are, South Florida. Only West Virginia can send the Bulls staggering away, punch drunk, disillusioned and violated now, perspective smacked back into their impudent faces. It's not that USF is playing for heights unmatched for a school this early in its football life, or hasn't earned its accolades on the field - the Bulls may be fit for their newfound status, but this conflicts too strongly with my understanding of merit and systemic peaks and troughs to compute. I still wish they'd had never been given the chance.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,479

I love Southern Piss fans. They crack me up with their insane jealousy.

btw, this guy rivals Duemig for biggest ass of the day award. lol

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

poor bitter eagle fans... 

• Content Count:  1,238

Horse-pucky  :throwup2

• Content Count:  12,293

LOL.

pathetic.

that first paragraph reminds me of that one scene in Good Will Hunting when they are at the Harvard bar and the guy says "wood drastically underestimates the impact of social..."

just some lonely southern miss fan trying to impress someone with terrible writing skills.

• Content Count:  2,363

Dear Southern Miss,

Kindly dislodge from our nutsack.

No love,

Da Bulls

• Content Count:  16,483
  • Days Won:  43

Pretty sad that USM fans are still upset about USF passing them by. I guess they can keep on playing the dirty play card since they really have nothing to fall back on in C-USA. Good riddance to that hell whole that they call Hattiesberg.

• Content Count:  1,260

Dear So. Miss.

Sucks to be you guys.

Love,

The Bulls!  ;D

• Content Count:  261

hmmm how does one describe that article.....superfluous? verbose? That guy tried way too hard

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.sundaymorningqb.com/story/2007/9/25/19395/2771

By SMQ

Posted on Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:39:05 PM EDT

Depending on one's station in life, we tend to acquiesce more readily to certain realities than to others. As an unwitting, non-minority tool of modern society's hegemonic power structure, for example, I'm much more willing to champion the notion that Western technology, economics and influence has fueled plummeting hunger rates and a three-fold increase in global income over the past half-century than I am to surrender to accusations that the same forces might exact a terrible toll via global warming. This acceptance, and lack thereof, is a choice, essentially, based on which stories slide easily into the de facto outlook and which need to be more thoroughly vetted before they're allowed to bend the system.

As a partisan of a reasonably successful but decidedly non-upwardly mobile, second tier program, South Florida bends the system to a degree I can't find it within my rational capacity to accept. The notion, ten years ago, that USF might be playing West Virginia, of all teams, with very real implications on the national polls and positioning for huge year-end payouts, while Southern Miss toiled on, again, forever, in Thursday night obscurity, would not only have been laughable or farfetched, but closer to the very genuine definition of inconceivable. South Florida didn't exist ten years ago, not in any meaningful way. While Southern Miss was establishing itself as overlord of then-new Conference USA, USF's first team ever was toiling away without even a facility as a I-AA independent. At the same time, Louisville was preparing to finish 0-11 under Ron Cooper.

Southern Miss' mid-major, underdog status has never been difficult to accept, because it hasn't changed in my lifetime. Play elite teams annually, give them a decent game, beat one of them every few years, play well in the conference, win eight or nine and play in the Liberty Bowl, hopefully, or some other, lesser December bowl nobody watches. That's the reality of the program for the better part of the last quarter-century, and it's successful enough in the long haul. We take pride in consistency: a winning record every year, thirteen years running now. Nobody talks about national championships. By all existing evidence, winning Conference USA is the ceiling, and that's perfectly fine. That's what the program is. This is vastly preferably to going 2-6 in the SEC year after year.

Now: the dominoes that began to fall when Miami and Virginia Tech bolted for the Big East left an obvious opportunity in that league, which was not going to look like the SEC. And when it snapped up Louisville, that was one thing - the Cardinals had ascended from ashen depths to the top of the conference by 2004, and, like fellow C-USA refugee Cincinnati, brought a strong basketball presence to a basketball league. These were not more deserving teams on the field, by any means, but at least they had been around, and clearly offered more attractive markets than South-Central Mississippi. You win some, you lose some.

On the other hand, South Florida in a BCS conference was and is a slap in the face. It is an embarrassment. The first time South Florida played Southern Miss, in 2000, USM was in its 90th year of organized football; USF was in its third. USM was ranked seventeenth in the nation; USF was a "provisional member" in transition from Division I-AA, an obscure footnote not really worth putting on the schedule. USM won, 41-7, and took two of three from the stagnating Bulls from 2002-04. The loss, by three points and a missed field goal on the final play and unquestionably the high point of USF's mostly I-AA-laden 21-game home winning streak in 2002, was an abject humiliation, emphatically corrected in the next two meetings. South Florida roughly broke even in Conference USA, did not come close to contending for a conference championship and finished 4-7 in 2004, its last year in the league. But when the Big East came calling the same year with big bucks at stake, conference titles, two and a half decades of barely interrupted success and tradition - any tradition - couldn't hold a candle to geography and marketing.

No one is naive to believe it could be otherwise. The dollar is a titan towering over the corpses of history and justice. The Big East wanted Florida back, the market and the talent, wanted metro Tampa at all costs, and it got it. And here the bastards are, three years on, ranked, playing in a pro stadium with the upper deck closed off Friday to knock off a top ten team for the third year in a row, in front of a national audience, with the hopes of becoming a favorite itself for mega bucks in the new year. Louisville occupying that position last year was enough of a blow, and the Cardinals'sudden implosion (as well as TCU's, to a much lesser extent) is so, so sweet. UL's run could be on life support, and if I could, I'd provide the pillow, or at least another ten years' salary for Steve Kragthorpe to oversee its vegetative state.

But even that analogy presumes USF deserves a run, too, and it does not.  For so many reasons, South Florida cannot win Friday, because it is not really a good team, because its success has been fluky, an illusion, and because I still need South Florida to be in the Big East what it signed up to be: a fifth-place punching bag whose occasional competence kept it hovering around mediocrity. This is who you are, South Florida. Only West Virginia can send the Bulls staggering away, punch drunk, disillusioned and violated now, perspective smacked back into their impudent faces. It's not that USF is playing for heights unmatched for a school this early in its football life, or hasn't earned its accolades on the field - the Bulls may be fit for their newfound status, but this conflicts too strongly with my understanding of merit and systemic peaks and troughs to compute. I still wish they'd had never been given the chance.

. South Florida didn't exist ten years ago, not in any meaningful way.

Wrong, this is our 11th year of program, we existed 10 years ago.

The first time South Florida played Southern Miss, in 2000, USM was in its 90th year of organized football; USF was in its third.

Wrong.  We were in our 4th year in 2000, 5th year if you count the 96 startup year.

, playing in a pro stadium with the upper deck closed off Friday to knock off a top ten team for the third year in a row, in front of a national audience, with the hopes of becoming a favorite itself for mega bucks in the new year.

Wrong, the upper deck is open and sold out.

, South Florida cannot win Friday, because it is not really a good team

Wrong, do I even need to comment on this.

But even that analogy presumes USF deserves a run, too, and it does not.

Wrong.  ANY team that is good enough deserves a run.  If we are good enough, we will get a run, if we aren't we won't.

took two of three from the stagnating Bulls from 2002-04.

Wrong.  One of our best years came in 2002.  04 was bad, but 02 and 03 were not.

You know, we can handle the pot shots.  It's the idiots who throw out potshots who don't even bother to do a little research and have factual information that bothers me.

Archived