• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2006 UNC game stats and recap

JoeB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

From the ESPN Recap page:

USF              UNC

1st Downs                23                18

Total Yards                417              285

Passing                      183              117

Rushing                    234              168

Penalties                    4-36            10-87

3rd Down Conversions 4-10              4-14

4th Down Conversions  1-1              1-1

Turnovers                    2                2

Possession                32:47            27:13

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- Ricky Ponton returned from a six-game suspension and ran for 101 yards and two touchdowns to carry South Florida to a 37-20 victory over North Carolina on Saturday.

Ponton was one of three players suspended by South Florida (5-2) before the season for violation of unspecified school policy. Each player was given a six-game suspension.

North Carolina (1-5) dropped its third straight game. After the Tar Heels took a 7-0 lead in the first quarter, quarterback Cam Sexton missed nine straight passes. He threw a touchdown pass to Jon Hamlett with 33 seconds left in the third quarter, and Connor Barth kicked two field goals, including a career-long 52-yarder earlier in the period.

South Florida countered Ronnie McGill's 15-yard scoring run midway through the first quarter with Taurus Johnson's 19-yard touchdown run on a reverse with 1:13 left in the period.

The Golden Bulls converted two interceptions into touchdowns. After Stephen Nicholas' first career interception at the North Carolina 35, Matt Grothe tossed a 21-yard touchdown pass to S.J. Green with 12:03 left in the half.

Danny Verpaele's interception and 26-yard return set up Ponton's 1-yard burst with 9:10 left before halftime. Ponton had a 2-yard touchdown run midway through the third quarter.

Benjamin Williams capped a 71-yard drive off the opening kickoff in the second half with a 1-yard score, giving South Florida a 27-10 lead.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I was thinking about this when the thread about this weekend's line was discussed.

We won by 17 points and it wasn't even that close.

UNC may be about the same, but potentially with a better QB.

USF is obviously a well deserving Top 25 team.

I think we'll be focused and win big.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

i think im gonna have to bust out my DVD for this game and watch it tonight to get ready for tomorrow.

what i remember most about this game is it was the ricky ponton coming out party...

too bad that party only lasted about 2 hours then the cops broke it up.

• Content Count:  1,297

UNC gave up 186 yards rushing to Virginia.

Mike Ford, I predict, is going to have a nice outting.  I can not wait.  I don't think I'm going to be able to sleep much.  Getting up at 7am, at the field by 8am.

GO BULLS!!!!!!

• Content Count:  1,297

^^^^^^^

Scratch that......197 yards rushing.  Even better.  ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Mike Ford, I predict, is going to have a nice outting.  ...

GO BULLS!!!!!!

Will be nice for a Nat'l audience to see a big game from Ford, the nation already knows about Grothe.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived