• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

KENTUCKY HIRES NEW COACH

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

WOW is Arkansas screwed:

ADVERTISEMENTS

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/orl-arkansas2807mar28,0,5292525.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines-college

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Trustee says Arkansas is awaiting word on offer to Gillespie

The Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- The chairman of the University of Arkansas board of trustees said Wednesday the school was waiting to hear from Texas A and M Coach Billy Gillispie about the Razorbacks' opening for a head basketball coach.

Stanley Reed said Gillispie is a candidate for the job, but said there were others in the running for the post that came open Monday when Athletic Director Frank Broyles fired Stan Heath after five years.

Reed would say only that Gillispie was one of the candidates but indicated that the ball was in the Texas A&M coach's court.

"I know we've tried to make contact with him," Reed said. "We're kind of waiting on him to call us back."

Broyles had told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette newspaper Tuesday that he had made an offer but wouldn't say to whom. "We could have a quick announcement . . . or it could fall through. I've offered the job, and we're waiting to hear."

Gillispie took the Aggies to the NCAA Tournament's third round this year, the latest step in a Texas A and M turnaround from an 0-16 Big 12 record three seasons ago.

The Houston Chronicle reported on its Web site Wednesday that Gillispie will stay at Texas A and M, citing three anonymous officials close to the A and M system. The Chronicle report later was updated to say Gillispie had not officially accepted a new contract from A and M, but that regents and athletic officials were confident.

Broyles said he has not talked to any coaches, but that "the one I'm trying to get knows I want him to have the job."

Heath took his final two teams to the NCAA Tournament but was bounced in consecutive years by Bucknell and Southern California. Actual attendance at Arkansas' Bud Walton Arena dropped during Heath's tenure -- to about 14,400 in an arena that seats nearly 20,000.

The ex-coach indicated Monday that Broyles was concerned about season-ticket sales and the state of Arkansas' fan base

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Arkansas had to know that Gillispie was up there on UK's list and UK is probably the top job in the country. It is their fault for actually believing he'd come to Arkansas over UK. Either way I think he was gone.

After Billy Donovan said no, they quickly moved in on him.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

i thought they were getting pelphry.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

kentucky over paid

Archived