• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Huey on Steeler Site

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

04_MC_Whittaker_Huey.jpg

Does Whittaker have more than ideal size in his quest to become an NFL wide receiver?

June 1, 2004

By Bob Labriola

steelers.com

PITTSBURGH - In the language of NFL scouts, he definitely passes the eye test.

That means Huey Whittaker sure looks like an NFL receiver. Six-foot-four, 234 pounds. Big hands that feel like pillows when he reaches out to shakes yours. But there is more to making an NFL roster than looking the part, and Whittaker knows he has his work cut out for him.

The trend in the NFL is for wide receivers to have size, and at 6-4, 234, Huey Whittaker has enough of that. But there's more to it than that for someone hoping to make an NFL roster, and Whittaker is working daily on learning the things he'll need to be able to succeed at training camp.

During his college career at South Florida, Whittaker started 21 of 32 games for an up-and-coming Division I program, but his career statistics of 117 catches for 1,447 yards and seven touchdowns aren't that exciting. And the traits that manifested themselves there are the very things on which Whittaker works every day at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

"Just trying to become a true receiver and excel on special teams," said Whittaker about what he needs to accomplish during the remainder of the Steelers' team school, or optional team activities (OTAs) as they're referred to officially. "You hear about special teams being a big thing in making the team, and when you’re not drafted, or even if you are drafted, special teams can be a big part of making the team."

That's the thing about Whittaker that becomes puzzling. How does a guy with his physical attributes and experience at a decent college program not get drafted? In the pre-draft publications that examined the prospects, things often written about Whittaker had to do with his lack of exceptional speed and a tendency toward inconsistency. But today his slate is clean, because Whittaker is just another of the five new faces at wide receiver trying to carve out a roster spot.

Freddie Milons is going through his first offseason with the team after being acquired in a trade with Philadelphia in September 2003 and spending that whole season on the inactive list, and Brian Robinson is back for another shot during this training camp. Glen Martinez, Zamir Cobb and Whittaker are the three undrafted rookies at a position that includes returning veterans Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, Antwaan Randle El, Chris Doering and Lee Mays.

Burress isn't taking part in these sessions, and he also skipped the team's mandatory three-day minicamp, but any assumption that Whittaker is a potential replacement immediately for a four-year starter is putting too much stock in the similarity of their heights. Whittaker's focus right now is on the things he needs to improve to attract positive attention to himself once the team reports to training camp at St. Vincent College.

"Not being drafted was a big surprise," said Whittaker, "but I’m here now and I have my chance.

"Now I have to make the best of it. I picked Pittsburgh, because I wanted to get away from home so I could get a clean start and be focused without any distraction. They also didn’t draft any receivers here, so it gives me a little better chance of making the team. There are a lot of reasons why I picked the Steelers, but it all comes down to my opportunity."

Story on Steelers Official Site

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

but did his hands and concentration improve?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

they better improve

he will make an nfl team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

Great article ... wishing the best for him.

Go BULLS !!!