• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NOW I AM MAD..... THE ORACLE IS A RAG

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

It always made me sick when I saw this when I went to USF (96-2001) and I never hesitated to say to folks walking by, "Kinda lost aren't ya?  UF is up 75." or something to that effect.  I've been to other campuses where they have major sports and THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.  If you went to UF and wore Miami/FSU gear or had it on your car; you can expect to get a very negative reaction.  This goes for any DI school who has major sports. People go to those Universities and TAKE PRIDE in going there.  They want to wear their "gear" bc it matters.

IF you don't want to wear USF gear, I don't want you at my University taking advantage of our resources.  You are a HYPOCRITE if you attend a school and cheer for another one or you are just downright pathetic.  

This girl is a moron.  She has no clue as to the big picture as to how this works.  If USF wants to compete with UF down the road, it will take DIE HARD fans at USF to make that happen bc the student body today is the alumni of tomorrow.  If we are not rabid, all of us, we won't have the alumni base to support the programs and sports to the point of us ever being able to compete with the UFs of this world.  

It starts on campus!

King was absolutely correct in what he said.  Every time you see someone wearing UF, Miami or FSU gear on campus, you should let them know they aren't at those places.  If they are too stupid to comprehend "they should catch flak for wearing that on a USF campus"; then we don't want them at this university.  There's plenty of folks lined up who want to go here, look at the latest stats regarding matriculation.

Another thing, the University needs to take an active role in marketing USF to its own students.  They need to make it clear to their incoming freshmen putting smack dab on their acceptance letter, "Welcome to USF, be proud you're a bull.  Leave "the others" at your door"!

The first thing the Student body president should do when they come into office is host a MAJOR BONFIRE on campus where students can burn their former UF/FSU/UM gear and proclaim that the USF of today is not your parents' USF.  It's time to grow up and take our rightful place among the other elite programs in the state.

If you're embarrassed to be a bull, we don't want you here.  If you miss the school you grew up loving, then get the hell out and go there.  If you're not there; then A) they didn't want you or B) you didn't have what it takes to get there.  Either way, you're not someone we want on "our team" or on "our campus".  

It's time to take out the trash.  Get rid of the weakest links.  Let these people know this kind of behavior is unacceptable.  

I'm not saying do harm to these folks, bc that is wrong.  But there is nothing wrong with telling these folks you don't appreciate being disrespected on your home turf.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Brad I dont know why you have a personal vendetta agains flsportsfan, but your kinda way off here. What this girl, and other students are doing is not a good thing for the school. She is a bandwagon fan, and that will only hinder our growth.

What Brett and others write is simply material that will get their readers rilled up. Hell I dont even read Bretts blog anymore, because I know that 0% of his information is accurate.

And while they are the "official" writers of USF, they still arent students. This girl is a student who is openly rooting against South Florida. That should never fly, moreso than some blogger trying to make a name for himself.

I just sent the following to the Oracle...

It always made me sick when I saw this when I went to USF (96-2001).  I've been to other campuses where they have major sports and THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN.  If you went to UF and wore Miami/FSU gear or had it on your car; you can expect to get a very negative reaction.  This goes for any DI school who has major sports. People go to those Universities and TAKE PRIDE in going there.  They want to wear their "gear" bc it matters.

IF you don't want to wear USF gear, I don't want you at my University taking advantage of our resources.  You are a HYPOCRITE if you attend a school and cheer for another one or you are just downright pathetic.  

Someone who believes like this has no clue as to the big picture.  If USF wants to compete with UF down the road, it will take DIE HARD fans at USF to make that happen bc the student body today is the alumni of tomorrow.  If we are not rabid, all of us, we won't have the alumni base to support the programs and sports to the point of us ever being able to compete with the UFs of this world.

You want top notch facilities?  You want the money to hire the best coaches and play with the big boys?  

THEN START ACTING LIKE THE BIG BOYS!  

It starts on campus!

King was absolutely correct in what he said.  Every time you see someone wearing UF, Miami or FSU gear on campus, you should let them know they aren't at those places.  If they are too stupid to comprehend "they should catch flak for wearing that trash"; then we don't want them at this university.  There's plenty of folks lined up who want to go here, look at the latest stats regarding the incoming freshmen.

Another thing, the University needs to take an active role in marketing USF to its own students.  They need to make it clear to their incoming freshmen putting smack dab on their acceptance letter, "Welcome to USF.  You're a Bull now so leave any other "gear" at home.  See you in the fall!"

The first thing every new Student body president should do when they come into office is host a MAJOR BONFIRE on campus where students can burn their former UF/FSU/UM gear.  It's time to grow up and take our rightful place among the other elite programs in the state.

If you're embarrassed to be a Bull, we don't want you here.  If you miss the school you grew up loving, then go there.  If you're not there; then A) they didn't want you or B) you didn't have what it takes to get there.  Either way, you're not someone we want on "our team" or on "our campus".

It's time to take out the trash.  Get rid of the weakest links.  Let these people know this kind of behavior is unacceptable at a major DI University.  If you want the atmosphere of a community college; then go to HCC.  

I'm advocating harm to these folks, because that is wrong.  However, there is nothing wrong with telling these folks you don't appreciate being disrespected on your home turf.

How can we expect others to respect us when we don't respect ourselves?

Guest r_to_the_izzo

I think they're protecting this girl. Its been an hour and a half and no comments. I added one of my own and its still not up.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

i put one up before i posted this thread

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

A Bull wearing a Gators shirt is still a Bull

By: Allison Tiberia, Assoc. Editor

Issue date: 3/30/07 Section: Opinion

PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 2 next >

I am an imposter.

At least that's what Student Government senior comptroller Thomas King seems to think.

SG purchases an advertisement in the Oracle every week called "Branding Every Bull," in which a member of SG discusses an issue he or she has with something on campus. On Monday, King authored the discussion, in which he said that wearing a non-USF shirt makes USF students imposters and traitors.

King also said these imposters are disrespecting USF's student-athletes because they work hard and sacrifice a lot, and those who wear other schools' shirts aren't honoring their work.

Here's the thing: My dad attended pharmacy school at the University of Florida. As an alumnus of that school, he cheers for the Gators, and I grew up watching UF sports. My wearing of a Gators shirt in support of UF's football team after it won the national championship in January, or in support of its basketball team - for which I will be cheering Saturday night during its Final Four game - doesn't make me an imposter of a USF student.

I attend USF football games when I can. I've made it to a few of the basketball games in my time here, but I'm usually working when the Bulls are playing at the Sun Dome. [highlight]And I do wear USF shirts from time to time, usually during a big sporting event.[/highlight]

[highlight]But I will continue to root for the Gators, too.[/highlight] As of right now, Florida is not in major competition with USF in football or basketball, so what does it matter if I wear a Gators shirt during football season? It doesn't.

And when the day comes that the Bulls face off against the Gators in a football game (at the time, I believe it is set for 2010) - if I'm not working - I'll proudly be there in my Bulls shirt, because it's the school I attended.

I support USF and its sports teams, and wearing a shirt from another school does not make me a traitor.

Toward the end of the discussion, King wrote that the University is going through a time of positive change and growth, and the students who wear shirts from other schools are rude and counterproductive to this change. King finished by writing, "This can and will be the atmosphere of our campus if we all show our support for USF and shun the 'imposters.' Take pride and be a leader because it starts with YOU!"

Wearing a Gators shirt from time to time is not holding this University back.

Students wearing college shirts that aren't affiliated with their universities aren't holding their schools back, either. Kayleigh Hudson, a student at the University of South Carolina, supports the Gamecocks. But she also grew up as a Virginia Tech fan, and supports the Hokies as well. USC is not struggling because Hudson may wear a VT shirt every now and then.

http://media.www.usforacle.com/media/storage/paper880/news/2007/03/30/Opinion/A.Bull.Wearing.A.Gators.Shirt.Is.Still.A.Bull-2814308.shtml

You're either a USF Bull or you're not!  It's time to pick the school you're going to root for... you cannot be a TRUE USF fan and still ride the Gator Bandwagon.  It's time to either **** or get off the pot.  

No true USF fan would wear a UF (or any other college) shirt UNLESS they personally attended that school (family members don't count).  It's even worse if you're wearing it ON CAMPUS where the student atheletes can see you.  What kind of message does that send to these kids busting their butts?  I'm a USF student, but the team isn't good enough for me to don my school colors... so Go Gators?  WTF?  You're either a Gator OR a Bull, you cannot be both.    

You wear USF shirts from time to time, usually during a big sporting event?  Are you kidding me?  You should wear a USF shirt ALL the time!  

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363

The headline was off by one letter/word. It should read:

"A Bull wearing a Gators shirt is still Bull!"

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,260

It's not just an insult to athletes...but faculty, alumni and other students. You can own other gear..just don't wear it on OUR campus. Just commented myself, we'll see how long it takes....

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,086
  • Days Won:  469

Brad I dont know why you have a personal vendetta agains flsportsfan, but your kinda way off here. What this girl, and other students are doing is not a good thing for the school. She is a bandwagon fan, and that will only hinder our growth.

I understand that and I remember seeing it on campus when I was there...I supported Seth's shirt swap program...I have long railed against students connecting to UF or FSU when they are at USF.

My position is not a vendetta against flsportsfan83, but holding him to the same standard he holds others to.  How he can say that it is okay for the local paper to put down his school and then get upset about a girl in a Gator shirt is beyond me.  Some consistency would be good.

What Brett and others write is simply material that will get their readers rilled up. Hell I dont even read Bretts blog anymore, because I know that 0% of his information is accurate.

I don't worry about people like you that don't read it, I worry about the people that do read it...like the folks considering season tickets or perhaps buying that USF shirt at the mall.   That is why stuff like the Trib and now the Times puts out (just like the radio shows) should be challenged by self-proclaimed "real" Bulls fans that care about the program.

We worry about whether or not Fathead carries our logo, so that maybe 50 people can buy it, but we don't care that the Trib reaches a few thousand people in print and online and may be shaping future decisions with destructive articles.

And while they are the "official" writers of USF, they still arent students. This girl is a student who is openly rooting against South Florida. That should never fly, moreso than some blogger trying to make a name for himself.

I didn't take that she was rooting agianst USF, I skimmed the article.  I think she said when USF has their showdown with the Gators, she's wearing a USF shirt.

Again, I think the Gator attachment is wrong.  But I think as fans we should show higher degree of integrity.  If we are going to take on a fight with a Gator chick, or Fathead, ot Athlon, we shouldn't be afraid to take on those in the local media that think belittling and insulting USF like a retarded cousin* is "okay."

*No intent to offend those with learning disabilities, but the term had to be used to paint the picture.

Wearing a USF shirt at the UF game when you're a UF fan is not FAN SUPPORT!  That's "I don't want someone to dump on beer on me insurance" and I want to sit with my friends bc I don't know anyone who will be attending from UF.