• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andy Katz just reported that Marshall...

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

If a coach doesn't want to move to the Big East for about $800,000 a year when he is going to settle for $400,000 a year and doesn't want to accept the challenge of building  competitive program, then he's not a guy I would want anyway.  He's either lazy or lost his fire.  No [highlight]way is Marshall not coming here about USF[/highlight].

Based on his past/current behavior, I agree that he's not the guy for USF.

But to say that poor facilities, a non-existent fan base, and minimal school support in a powerhouse conference had nothing to do with his decision; well that is just silly.  A coach doesn't turn down twice the money simply b/c he's lazy or doesn't feel like moving to Tampa. He obviously feels that probability of losing his job in a few years isn't worth the extra $400k/yr.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Good! Let's move on and find us someone who can recruit and win at the highest level. I tell 'ya, I'm still a big fan of Bobby Lutz.

You and me.  I think he is a great choice.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Good! Let's move on and find us someone who can recruit and win at the highest level. I tell 'ya, I'm still a big fan of Bobby Lutz.

Booby Lutz hasn't even been mentioned yet. Not sure if he's a sewrious candidate

If a coach doesn't want to move to the Big East for about $800,000 a year when he is going to settle for $400,000 a year and doesn't want to accept the challenge of building  competitive program, then he's not a guy I would want anyway.  He's either lazy or lost his fire.  No way is Marshall not coming here about USF.

This guy is a lifelong Gamecock fan who has his eyes set on that job. Chances are it will open in the next few years and he'll get paid just as much if not more than USF was talking about spending.

He's not lazy and he hasn't lost his fire. USF just wasn't a situation he wanted.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

It's just a shame that Marshall got fingered as USF's #1 guy, now Woolard has to go back to the short list and continue his process.  With the circus that followed Marshall being contacted by USF, I hope there are not bad side-effects when talking to others now.  From this moment on, everyone will feel like a second choice.

Personally, and only personally, I am not too upset about Marshall declining - I was unsure about his ability to lead USF.  However, with all the media hysteria, I had hoped he would be hired to end the super sleuthing out there that will ultimately have a negative impact on our school and HC search.

Woolard's work is 10 times harder than it was before this Marshall episode, but he could still land a big time get.  Let's hope he's allowed to do his job without the embarassing side show.

ESPN Reports "Marshall exits South Florida chase:

Marshall exits South Florida chase

ESPN - USA

... never was officially given to Marshall, but he did visit USF Friday and Saturday with his wife.

The Tribune Reports:

Marshall Turns Down USF Offer

Tampa Tribune - Tampa,FL,USA

... but they were not interested. Woolard fired Robert McCullum on March 9 after four seasons. McCullum had two years left on his six-year contract.

So here we are again.  Tribune propels the title that he turned down our offer.  ESPN takes the high road and says an offer was never officially made.  Smear tactic?  Just because someone comes for an interview does not mean they get an offer.  Clearly it has been to long between interviews for a Tampa Tribune reporter.  And that headline will get splattered across the country.  

Guest BasketBull.

Personally, and only personally, I am not too upset about Marshall declining - I was unsure about his ability to lead USF.  

I feel the same. I liked him as a person but he gave mid-major a new definition, "soft mid-major". The Big South and the Big East are not equal.

Just like last week...was there an offer, or was there not?  Accuracy in reporting is appreciated.  And don't give me that "verbal offer" nonsense.

While no offer was made, we rolled out the red carpet for Marshall and practically told him the job is his for the taking. While no "official" offer was made, and "offer was made and he declined it.

I don't see this one as a smear.