• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletics Budget-Coaches Salary

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe some with more knowledge than I have on this topic can help further explain.

How can USF or any school for that matter take a coaches salary from 250K to 800K overnight. USF is operating on a budget, without something significantly happening, how can that budget all of a sudden increase without operating through a deficit.

I understand how it happens in pro ball, because an owner is the one paying players and coaches, even with large companies if sales increase there is additional money to give employees or new employees raises, but how do monumental raises of this take place in college athletics?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think they do.  Which was my fear going into this.  If we end up with a similar price range coach, I fear the recruiting isn't going to get a big boost and we'll have another 4 year rebuilding process.

The coaches DW is looking out, he knows the salary will increase by atleast 100% and maybe even close to 200% than what RMC was making, it just does not make sense, from a business standpoint, how this can be afforded.

I believe in football, donors compensated for the different for CJL's salary, but I cannot imagine that happening for bball especially since articles stated many boosters liked RMC.

I do agree, unless they are doing some type of rebudgeting.

Especially considering we just paid Mac 400k in addition to what we'd be paying a new coach for this upcoming season.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Guys, if you have a business (men's basketball), and you believe an more expensive piece of equipment (new coach) is going to significantly increase your proffits (attendence, wins) down the road, you make the investment.

I trust they know the numbers much more than I do... but I have looked at the numbers, and even if attendance does increase dramatically on the average... that still wouldn't offset the cost.  I'll let the EconomicsNerds of the world actually verify that.

There is no coach we can afford that is going to sell out the dome every game.  So what is a reasonable expectation of attendance in a bandwagon community?  And what hoops goals will bring that number?

The only we'll ever sell out consistently is to go to the tournament every year.  Can't really base anything on that hope.  Gotta go on a more realistic view.

Is 7500 avg a number to base tickets on?  That even seems high for an average considering our non conference games are against the likes of South Alabama, Nova Southeastern, etc.

Assuming 7500, how many of those tickets are already accounted for?  the entire lower level is sold out, even though people don't show.

So the number of tickets increased per game is much smaller.

Multiply out the numbers x 16 home games and $15 bucks a ticket, and it isn't a mind-boggling number, and that is assuming all goes VERY WELL immediately.  Have a poor season to start, and even if it is expected, those numbers would drop.

7500 - 3500 = 3000 average game increase in attendance

3000 x $15/game x $16 games = 720,000

I suppose that would do it... although i think that is a very optimistic ticket increase... not to mention we are probably operating in the red on hoops right now, so that isn't necessary bb operations profit.  

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038

We need wins more than money...

We need both equally.  We can't go into major debt to get the wins, or we are sacrificing many more wins in the future.

the entire lower level is sold out, even though people don't show.

Yes, the lower level is sold out, however one of the issues is some individuals have been sitting there for many many many years and are still paying a $500 donation to sit there, and the current level to sit there I believe is $3500 (if someone can please verify), there are donors who are donating alot more that are stuck in the 2nd level because of this problem.

I do thank those people who have had tickets for longer than I have been alive, and they should have first right at those seats, however the season tickets need to be reconfigured to the new level donors otherwise Bulls Club and USF is going to continue to lose money because I know, there are people who would donate more than they currently do if they could have better seats for basketball.