• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MBB hire will define Woolard's USF tenure

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  617
  • Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

DW has to know that his legacy as USF AD is tied to this MBB head coach selection.  

Leavitt will likely outlast DW, so this is it.

And he has to find someone who can put the USF program consistently in the top half of the incredibly strong BE conference.

If he succeeds, he is a hero.

Failure, and he'll never be fully appreciated for any of the other good things he'll accomplish.

Lots of pressure.  

Hope he doesn't choke.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

He wont!! DW is one of the best in my opinion. We are lucky to have him at USF.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

DW has to know that his legacy as USF AD is tied to this MBB head coach selection.  

Leavitt will likely outlast DW, so this is it.

[highlight]And he has to find someone who can put the USF program consistently in the top half of the incredibly strong BE conference.[/highlight]

If he succeeds, he is a hero.

Failure, and he'll never be fully appreciated for any of the other good things he'll accomplish.

Lots of pressure.  

Hope he doesn't choke.

If he hires someone that gets us in the top half of the BE every two or three years he'll be a hero ..... possibly a Saint.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

put it this way....if his next hire has the same record and RMC then i hope the darksiders are calling for his head not the coaches.

he got rid of RMC to take the pressure off of him for a few seasons...if he doesnt make the right move this time he needs to go.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

I don't look at it quite like Rezz, but unless Jim Leavitt gets hired away (and that would be a black eye for DW at this point) there isn't a single more important hire than this one.  Baseball, no.  Soccer, no.  WBB, no.  This is it.

you dont think that DW got rid of RMC to take pressure off of his own neck?

or you dont think that DW should be blamed if our bball program still stinks in 2 years?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

or you dont think that DW should be blamed if our bball program still stinks in 2 years?

I don't think firing RMc was a selfish move, no.  I think it was time.

If we "stink" in two years, I'll evaluate then.  Not sure I would arbitrarily blame DW.  A lot can happen between now and then...we've seen that already.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

I know it wasnt asked to me, but i think he did fire him to take pressure off of himself.  Thats why i think he is going to surprise us and make a big hire.  You dont pay out 400K plus to get rid of a contract unless you have your sights on a big fish.  

The answer to the 2nd question i think depends on how the coach performs.  Its not his fault if he hires someone who is qualified at the time and doesnt come through, IMO.    

I don't think firing RMc was a selfish move, no.  I think it was time.

If we "stink" in two years, I'll evaluate then.  Not sure I would arbitrarily blame DW.  A lot can happen between now and then...we've seen that already.

brad, i think those two statements contradict themselves.  you say that it was "time" to get rid of RMC but then you cite that a lot can happen and how we have seen that already, meaning that RMC wasnt entirely to blame for what happened.  

if you mean "time" in that the fans wanted it and not that it was deserved because of what you have "seen..already" then you are saying that DW made the move to take the pressure off himself.  

i'm no dummy.  i know that an AD's job is to keep the fans happy....so i can also see how DW made the move for that reason, but still, if RMC was a bad coach like everyone wants to say, if he hires another bad coach then maybe he has a bad eye for coaching which should be the scale that he is measured by.

so i say...if the next coach doesnt turn us into a .500 big east conference team (not asking too much, that means that we finish overall above .500) then DW needs to go too.

he cant take credit for what the football program is doing...

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

The hire is going to get mass appeal.