• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golf Advice

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

I'm looking to get back into golfing again but it's been a little while.

I need some advice on brands and prices. My budget from irons are around $200 and know I can find some decent brands at the oldsmar swap meet. The problem is, I don't know what are decent brands anymore, especially in that price range.

Any advice would be helpful. My total budget is around $400 or so...hope that isn't too cheap for anything good.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

That is a low budget, but you could probably find a good deal on ebay...

Example taylor made irons 3-PW :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Taylor-Made-RAC-OS-2-Golf-Irons-3-PW-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ330093174826QQihZ014QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

right now, bid is at $187 + shipping of $35

Just be careful that the person you buy from is repuatable... look at all the feedback, and number of happy transactions.

I just bought 3 brand new taylor made R5 woods (460 cc driver, 3wood, 5 wood) with graphite shafts for a total of $300, including shipping.  I saw the same clubs on sale at a golf store on dale mabry for $399 each, and have seen them at online retailers for about $180 each.  There are deals out there.

Taylor Made are good.  

Heck, if you can get a good used set of the old Titleist DCI, those are some of the best clubs ever made.  I am still using a set that I bough in 1994 and don't plan on switching ever.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

I'm looking to get back into golfing again but it's been a little while.

I need some advice on brands and prices. My budget from irons are around $200 and know I can find some decent brands at the oldsmar swap meet. The problem is, I don't know what are decent brands anymore, especially in that price range.

Any advice would be helpful. My total budget is around $400 or so...hope that isn't too cheap for anything good.

T & D Golf over off Waters just west of Dale Mabry is a good place to start. They are very educated in golf and have tons of used and new clubs for a good price.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

T&D is a good shop. I bought some Tommy Armour 845's brand new for $300 a few yrs back. They are pretty decent imo.  

The best golf advice I ever received was from Ari...

He said - "QUIT".

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I have some Tommy Armour's I'd like to give away...

Just kidding.  I'd give 'em away, but they couldn't hit a straight shot to save themselves.  Velcro has seen 'em in action...must have been a manufacturing defect.

God **** useless clubs.

Now backgammon...that's a real game.

Your son hit them pretty well... or did he just bring along his own club in your bag?  ;)

Another option is knock offs... I've seen some knock off 845's that are pretty decent, and some knockoff ping zing.  Both were only about $125 for the set, used, steel shaft.

I'd probably say avoid the ping zings.  I played with a set when I was 15 for a year and a half and its night and day between those and the 845's and the DCI's.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  928

Thanks for all the advice. I've had my eye on Taylor Made so I might have to..uh..manipulate my budget. I kinda have a thing for graphite so I'll see where that takes me. I'm going to get a good driver and probably a 3 wood. I've never played on courses this flat. I needed crimpons and 100ft of rope for some of the courses in Washington State.

I'll have to check out T&D's then see what the swap meet has.

I just got myself a Taylor Made R5 460 cc driver and absolutely love it.  

I used to have a Taylor Made Burner Bubble and it was nice, but not forgiving at all.  The R5 is incredibly forgiving.  I'm a long hitter, but usually not that accurate off the tee, but in my first round playing with it last sunday, i hit almost all the fairways at Diamond Hill in Valrico.  I think I missed 1 or 2, and only one was in bad shape.  Most forgiving club I have ever hit.

Here are the irons i've been using for about 13 years faithfully

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINAL-TITLEIST-DCI-BLACK-IRONS-3-PW-STIFF-2-DEG-FLAT_W0QQitemZ190088598021QQihZ009QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

84 bucks on ebay for the entire set (plus shipping of $25 insured)

they are 2 degrees flat, which means the setup better for people who don't have a really upright swing plane.  Basically if you are under 6', then they are likely good.  If you are 6'+, you don't likely use flat irons.

Excellent price for a top notch set of clubs.