• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Impact Redshirt Freshmen: Big East

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Days Won:  0

By David Fox, Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

The Big East doesn't have to be reminded of the impact redshirt freshmen can have on a season.

In his first year as a starter, South Florida quarterback Matt Grothe led the Bulls to nine wins and was second in the conference in total offense behind seasoned veteran Brian Brohm.

Behind Grothe, the Bulls went to their second consecutive bowl and won in the postseason for the first time.

A year earlier, another quarterback - West Virginia's Pat White - elevated his team as a redshirt freshman with a Big East title and Sugar Bowl victory.

In 2007, the impact redshirt freshmen might not be under center. Instead, they might be found in the trenches or on defense. Who will make the most of their year away from the field in the Big East?

Find out about five impact redshirt freshmen we'll be watching in the Big East next season:

1. Brandon Heath, S, Louisville

Heath, a four-star recruit out of Palm Beach Lakes (Fla.), was on track to see immediate playing time as a true freshman. However, a broken bone in his left foot before training camp derailed his season. A healthy Heath (6-1, 195) could see playing time in a secondary that lost three senior starters.  

2. Charlie Noonan, DT, Rutgers

Noonan fits the mold of many of Rutgers' key players from the 2006 season. He was lightly recruited and undersized, but has an excellent motor. The Scarlet Knights lose starter Ramel Meekins and backup Joe Giacobbe at defensive tackle, leaving a spot for Noonan. He should compete for regular playing time if he is fully recovered from a knee injury sustained before coming to Rutgers in 2006.  

3. Adam Rosner, OL, Syracuse

While the Syracuse offense sputtered behind a weak offensive line, the former four-star Rosner played on the scout team. In 2007, Rosner should reach the field after spending 2005 in prep school and redshirting last season. The Orange is counting on Rosner (6-6, 215) to be healthy and to contribute. Syracuse will also welcome help from three-star Tucker Baumbach and Jim McKenzie, who also redshirted last season.  

4. Jason Sherman, WR, South Florida

The Bulls will have five redshirt freshmen vying for a spot in the rotation in 2007, including a starting job vacated by leading receiver Ean Randolph. The 6-foot-4, 200-pound Sherman has an intriguing mix of size and speed. He was clocked at 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash during the recruiting process. The coaching staff has also spoken highly of local product Carlton Mitchell.  

5. Greg Webster, LB, Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh will miss tackling-machine H.B. Blades at middle linebacker next year, but the Panthers could have help on the way from Webster (6-1, 235). A three-star recruit in 2006, Webster should compete to replace Blades. During the season, coach Dave Wannstedt raved about Webster's hard-hitting on the scout team.  

Anyone know much else about this Sherman guy? Haven't heard or seen his name on the board at all.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563

CJL and Dawsey raved about our Red-shirted WRs.I honestly think any one of them could have made that list.6-4 200 and a 4.4 40 time is why the picked Sherman above the rest.Theres no telling how much bigger he is now.Go and watch his vids at rivals or scout.

Actually watch all 3.

Wacth for Hester  also hes a RS-SOPH.Hes very fast!!!

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I dunno, the videos on rivals weren't that impressive.  The best, to me, was Hester, but there were also more of him.  They also showed him returning punts so he might compete with Johnson and whoever else for that job.  He had 1 really nice return in a video.  4 returning starters with 3 freshmen and hester a sophmore should make for an interesting spring and start to the season.  then there's denson, hill, and others.  geez.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I really see an upgrade at WR ... Jackson, Amp Hill & Edwards will really have to push it with the new faces coming in.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

If the line can give Matt some time and make some holes for Ford, it should be a fun year.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I really see an upgrade at WR ... Jackson, Amp Hill & Edwards will really have to push it with the new faces coming in.

Go BULLS !!!

great

that is the way it is suppose to be

when freshman start displacing upperclassmen in starting lineup than you know you are upgrading talent

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I'm certainly no expert on projecting talent (if such a thing even exists), but I have been anxiously anticipating the development of both Jason Sherman & Cartlon Mitchell at the WR position.

Big & fast guys who hopefully have fly-paper type hands will make our already lethal QB even more of a force.

Gotta' work on the nasty boys up front, though.  We have to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage better than last season.  I'm hoping one or two of these incoming guys will be able to win a starting role (e.g. McCaskill, Warren, or Genus at Center and/or Guard).

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563

I dunno, the videos on rivals weren't that impressive.  The best, to me, was Hester, but there were also more of him.  They also showed him returning punts so he might compete with Johnson and whoever else for that job.  He had 1 really nice return in a video.  4 returning starters with 3 freshmen and hester a sophmore should make for an interesting spring and start to the season.  then there's denson, hill, and others.  geez.  

Oh yea Hester is easily the best in H.S.Check out Scouts vids.Sherman loves to hit.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

One big factor for in-coming RS freshman is if they have learned to block.  Very important.  I expect Amp Hill to have a break-out year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

...  I'm hoping one or two of these incoming guys will be able to win a starting role (e.g. McCaskill, Warren, or Genus at Center and/or Guard).

I think McCaskill & Warren have a great chance . . .

Go BULLS !!!  [smiley=GoBulls.gif]