• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is USF football growing TOO fast?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

And that brings us to the original point of the thread...Is USF football growing TOO fast?

Yes when compared to some fans that started at the same time the program did...Leaps and bounds difference in maturity.

If our fan base could only grow (in many ways) like the program has.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

And that brings us to the original point of the thread...Is USF football growing TOO fast?

Yes when compared to some fans that started at the same time the program did...Leaps and bounds difference in maturity.

If our fan base could only grow (in many ways) like the program has.

I agree 100%...

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I am consistently amazed by the lack of knowledge displayed on this website.

The website only hosts the thoughts of others, ignorant or otherwise.  Please don't blame the site for the stupid comments.

"We're not responsible for the content."   ;)

There are some very intelligent and thoughtful posters here.  Hooligans, imbeciles and dumb ones too, but there are some other very good contributors.

I agree 100%...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I don't understand what we are worried about.  No one on the national level knows about USF.  There are 3 hugely popular schools in FL.  When we continue to win games we'll get more recognition.  Being ranked will help a lot.  It's already started the last few seasons with big wins and bowl games.

I am consistently amazed by the lack of knowledge displayed on this website.

I'm consistently amazed at your lack of respect for other people.  Don't lump other people in with Smazza.  You don't exactly have all the answers.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

Well, I have to disagree here.  I've never lived in a dorm (5th year of college).  They are over-cramped and over-priced.  Also, aren't you also required  to buy an over-priced meal plan that no one (that I know of) ever fully uses anyway?  I went to UF for a year, but even if I lived on campus I would not have been a Gator fan.  I have been at USF for 4 years and lived at 2 different places off campus and am now a major USF fan.  I'm only a few minutes away from campus.  I don't really care if I'm called a commuter.  I buy the parking pass, I go to class, and I'm about to be a USF alum.  What difference does it make that I didn't overpay for a dorm and meal plan?  Maybe that's just me.

Also, I know Penn State doesn't even allow underclassmen to have cars.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to go there.  I like to be able to go anywhere I want, including road games and to parties on other Florida campuses.  Disney World is nice as well.  Does a shuttle go to busch gardens?  maybe it does...whatever.

I wasn't allowed to have a car on campus my freshman year either. The point is that you stay on campus, come to love campus, enjoy all the things campus has to offer. If you find yourself wanting to do things that aren't on- or near- campus, then the university is really letting you down insofar as activity options goes.

Nobody has or needs a car in Ann Arbor, Manhattan (Kansas), College Station, Ames, Bloomington, etc.

I agree that dining hall costs are absurd, but they have always been that way and they serve a vital social function. Eating in a dining hall a) means someone else makes the food, leaving more time in your day for studying (ha) or socializing and B) means you're eating in a large room with lots of people, which opens doors for social interaction, etc.

The problem with the status quo is it pretty much creates an on-campus anti-ghetto whereas students who like to drink live off-campus and those who don't live in the dorms. USF really needs to work on promoting the college experience as through living on campus, or at least they need to once they build more rooms. The inconveniences of living on-campus are part of the learning process; learning to get along with other people, occasionally skirt the rules, et cetera.

I think it's awesome that you're a huge fan, and we need more kids like you. But you bring up Penn State, and I want everyone to think about how quickly Penn State sold out its Outback Bowl allotment in a year when school ticket sales were down for nearly every non-BCS bowl. The experience of living on-campus, in a remote area, creates an attachment that lasts for a LIFETIME. The people you're forced into living arrangements with become your friends... for a LIFETIME. I'm not saying this doesn't happen at USF, because it does. I'm saying it becomes an event, or a rite of passage.

I nearly went to Notre Dame. My best friend actually did. His experience living in the dorms for three years (ND students are required to live on-campus through their sophomore year, but most stay for at least three) is reflected in the people who are now closest to him; look at how many weddings he's been in of guys who lived in his hall his freshman year, including his roommate (for whom he was best man). I know that Notre Dame is really nothing comparable to USF, but it's an example of what kind of impact dorm living can have on building relationships that are rooted in the alma mater.

I'm glad you left UF, but I'm hoping that had you stayed there and graduated, you'd have become a Gator fan. I hate Gator Fan, but if there is any one truth I hold onto, it's that no university ever comes before your undergraduate alma mater.

I wasn't allowed to have a car on campus my freshman year either. The point is that you stay on campus, come to love campus, enjoy all the things campus has to offer. If you find yourself wanting to do things that aren't on- or near- campus, then the university is really letting you down insofar as activity options goes.

I would have chosen a different college based on that.  I have family to visit and friends out of town to visit.  I don't need to be limited to staying on campus.  If I want to go downtown I don't want to depend on anyone to give me a ride.

Nobody has or needs a car in Ann Arbor, Manhattan (Kansas), College Station, Ames, Bloomington, etc.

well, i guess they all take taxis or can afford plane tickets.  either that or they have no out of town family and/or friends.  

I agree that dining hall costs are absurd, but they have always been that way and they serve a vital social function. Eating in a dining hall a) means someone else makes the food, leaving more time in your day for studying (ha) or socializing and B) means you're eating in a large room with lots of people, which opens doors for social interaction, etc.

I get instant meals that costs less and take less time to get (no traveling, even if it is just walking on campus).  If i cook something it probably takes the same amount of time and I can watch tv, study, etc at the same time.

The problem with the status quo is it pretty much creates an on-campus anti-ghetto whereas students who like to drink live off-campus and those who don't live in the dorms. USF really needs to work on promoting the college experience as through living on campus, or at least they need to once they build more rooms. The inconveniences of living on-campus are part of the learning process; learning to get along with other people, occasionally skirt the rules, et cetera.

I don't drink, but I have many friends that got drunk while living on campus.  I don't need to learn to be inconvenienced.  I've lived with 3 roommates at several different locations and have had to get along with them.  As for "skirting the rules," my roommate has a pet and isnt supposed to, heh.

I think it's awesome that you're a huge fan, and we need more kids like you. But you bring up Penn State, and I want everyone to think about how quickly Penn State sold out its Outback Bowl allotment in a year when school ticket sales were down for nearly every non-BCS bowl. The experience of living on-campus, in a remote area, creates an attachment that lasts for a LIFETIME. The people you're forced into living arrangements with become your friends... for a LIFETIME. I'm not saying this doesn't happen at USF, because it does. I'm saying it becomes an event, or a rite of passage.

you could be right that forcing people to live on campus would promote more loyalty to USF, but I personally would have gone elsewhere.  

I'm glad you left UF, but I'm hoping that had you stayed there and graduated, you'd have become a Gator fan. I hate Gator Fan, but if there is any one truth I hold onto, it's that no university ever comes before your undergraduate alma mater.

interesting thing about UF is I lived off-campus my first year there, too.  They seem to be doing fine with their fan base  ;)