• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question for Herman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Herman,

I have a very famous athlete coming into our offices tomorrow and he has been willing to sign autographs for the office in the past I was going to get him to sign either his card (which I found at a comic book store or should I get him to sign a ball) If either, where should I get them to sign. I want the maximum earning potential..just in case my fiance takes me for all I got one day. :-)

Thanks.

Joe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Joe,

I would say you always want to get him to sign a ball.  It should be an official league ball if you can get one before work.  If its a baseball, use a blue ball point pen and have him sign it on the sweet spot.  

If its a basketball or football have him sign with a brand new black sharpie (no smudges).  If he is a hall of famer you may want him to put on HOF and the year he went in.  

As for the card, it matters on how valuable the card is.  nowadays cards are graded by condition, precision and by cut.  Cards dont bring a lot of money unless you have a perfect card or your card has been graded.  A signature can bring the value of a card down, depending on how rare it is or may become.  

n

For instance, a mickey mantle 1967 card could use a signature to add value being that the card alone isnt too rare and it was the end of his career.  But an earlier mantle card would find more value without a signature.  Bottomlie have him sign an official ball of the sport he played.  If you cant get a ball, i would say next would be an index card which you could mount into a frame with a pic or whatever.  Then the card.  

Good luck but dont get too into this hobby.  Shadiest and most craziest people in the memorabilia world, most of them are crooks.  but it is cool stuff.  Good luck :)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,472
  • Days Won:  13

Joe,

I would say you always want to get him to sign a ball.  It should be an official league ball if you can get one before work.  If its a baseball, use a blue ball point pen and have him sign it on the sweet spot.  

If its a basketball or football have him sign with a brand new black sharpie (no smudges).  If he is a hall of famer you may want him to put on HOF and the year he went in.  

As for the card, it matters on how valuable the card is.  nowadays cards are graded by condition, precision and by cut.  Cards dont bring a lot of money unless you have a perfect card or your card has been graded.  A signature can bring the value of a card down, depending on how rare it is or may become.  

n

For instance, a mickey mantle 1967 card could use a signature to add value being that the card alone isnt too rare and it was the end of his career.  But an earlier mantle card would find more value without a signature.  Bottomlie have him sign an official ball of the sport he played.  If you cant get a ball, i would say next would be an index card which you could mount into a frame with a pic or whatever.  Then the card.  

Good luck but dont get too into this hobby.  Shadiest and most craziest people in the memorabilia world, most of them are crooks.  but it is cool stuff.  Good luck :)

aint that the truth. I use to make big bucks selling autographs. Airports, team hotels and stadiums. It consumed my life.