• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Louisville wants Kragthorpe to replace Petrino

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

From ESPN...

As expected, Louisville's search to replace Bobby Petrino appears destined to be short and narrowly focused.

Tulsa's Steve Kragthorpe is the choice, according to a source close to the negotiations. Pending a formal agreement and finalized details, he will be named this week.

Officials at both schools declined comment, but Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich is expected to fly to Tulsa Tuesday to meet with Kragthorpe. Jurich spent part of Monday afternoon meeting with the Louisville team and told the players they should expect to have a new coach quickly.

That will be important in Louisville's efforts to keep two star juniors, quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush, for one more year. Both are weighing decisions on whether to enter the NFL draft and could make announcements this week.

Another factor in the timing is recruiting. The Cardinals are expecting to have a large number of recruits on campus this weekend to attend the Louisville-Providence basketball game on Saturday, and they'd obviously like to have Kragthorpe signed, sealed and delivered in time to meet the recruits.

Jurich also met Monday morning with Bobby Petrino's brother, Paul, the Cardinals' offensive coordinator. Paul Petrino is not believed to be a candidate for the job, if only because of his family ties to the guy who just walked out with nine years left on a contract he signed in August.

It's believed Louisville also had some initial interest in UCLA's Karl Dorrell, but Kragthorpe is clearly the candidate of choice.

Jurich and Kragthorpe have roots at Northern Arizona together. Jurich was the athletic director there in the late 1980s and early '90s, and Kragthorpe was NAU's quarterbacks coach from 1990-94.

Read More

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080
  • Days Won:  0

Kragthorpe tops list

By Rick Bozich, Eric Crawford and Jody Demling

The Courier-Journal

Updated 3:20 p.m.: Harry Douglas will be back

There are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding the University of Louisville football program right now, but at least one star has made a decision.

Junior wide receiver Harry Douglas said after a team meeting with athletic director Tom Jurich that he was definitely coming back for his senior season.

Several media outlets had reported that Douglas, who set a school record for receiving yards in a season, was looking into becoming a possible underclass candidate to enter the NFL Draft. Underclassmen must declare by Jan. 15.

“I’m coming back no matter what,†he said. “You are only in college once and my parents don’t need the money. I’ll be back.â€Â

Douglas had 10 catches for 165 yards last week in the Orange Bowl victory over Wake Forest. He finished the season with 1,265 yards, breaking the old mark of 1,213 yards set in 2004 by J.R. Russell.

Quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush are still undecided about their status, while wide receiver Mario Urrutia said last week before the Orange Bowl that he was “definitely believed†that he was staying for another year.

Updated: 3:10 p.m.

Tulsa football coach Steve Kragthorpe has emerged as the top candidate to replace Bobby Petrino as the next football coach at the University of Louisville, a source close to the program said Monday. The source said the school would like to name Petrino's replacement by Wednesday.

At a press conference Monday morning, U of L athletic director Tom Jurich declined to discuss individual candidates. He said he had a “very short†list of coaches he was considering.

“You all know the names involved,†Jurich said. “It’s no secret. But I’m not going to discuss names here.â€Â

The source, however, said that Kragthorpe has been on Jurich's radar for four years. Their friendship stretches back to a shared tenure at Northern Arizona University. Jurich has been impressed by the work Kragthorpe has done at Tulsa.

Kragthorpe, who recently signed a contract extension through 2011, has taken the Tulsa team to three bowl games in four years. He inherited a team with a 1-11 record in 2002 and improved it to 8-5 in his first season.

Tulsa was also 8-5 this season, losing to Utah in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl.

Kragthorpe could not be reached for comment Sunday night or Monday.

The source said that Jurich had also considered UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and perhaps some members of Petrino's staff.

Speaking to reporters, Jurich promised to move with characteristic speed.

“I want to handle this with perfect care, as I always try to do.â€Â

He also said, “I’ve hired the search firm of Jurich & Jurich. There’s only one guy doing the search. . . . It’s very important that we move quickly because we have a big recruiting weekend. You don’t have the luxury of taking your time.â€Â

Jurich said he has spoken to both quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush as they weigh decisions on whether to declare themselves eligible for the NFL Draft. He said he has spoken with several assistant coaches, but won’t “hamstring†a new coach by guaranteeing any of them a spot on the new coach’s staff.

Jurich said he learned of Petrino’s talks with the Atlanta Falcons when he spoke with the team’s general manager, Rich McKay, yesterday afternoon. He said the speed of the hire surprised him.

“I’m happy for him because I think it’s something he wanted to do,†Jurich said. “I’ll always look back at the good times and all the great things he did for this program. He’ll always be welcome here. His family will always be welcome here.â€Â

Jurich also had a 15-minute meeting with members of the team this afternoon.

Center Eric Wood and wide receiver Harry Douglas said Jurich gave the players an update on the coaching situation and told them to expect to have a new coach by the end of the week.

“We basically just talked about the situation, and the best thing was Mr. Jurich said we have to trust him, and we do,’’ Wood said. “We know we’re going to have someone good coming in.â€Â

When asked if names of potential candidates were mentioned, Douglas said, “We’ll keep that in the family.â€Â

Updated: 3:05 p.m.

At a press conference in Atlanta Bobby Petrino said he had no intention of leaving the University of Louisville and that he was not not pursuing any other coaching jobs.

Despite receiving several other calls from teams he said he told them all no.

When this opportunity came up he said it was too good to pass up.

Petrino went on to thank the university, especially athletic director Tom Jurich and university president James R. Ramsey, for the time he had.

Update from Jody Demling

Members of the University of Louisville football team emerged from the Howard Schnellenberger football complex about 1:20 p.m. after a 15-minute meeting with athletic director Tom Jurich.

Center Eric Wood and wide receiver Harry Douglas were made available to the media by U of L. They said Jurich gave the players an update on the coaching situation and told them to expect to have a new coach by the end of the week.

“We basically just talked about the situation, and the best thing was Mr. Jurich said we have to trust him, and we do,’’ Wood said. “We know we’re going to have someone good coming in.â€Â

When asked if names of potential candidates were mentioned, Douglas said, “We’ll keep that in the family.â€Â

Earlier update from Eric Crawford

The first on Sunday night was to learn from coach Bobby Petrino that he was leaving to become the head coach for the Atlanta Falcons. The second came at 1 o’clock Monday to hear athletic director Tom Jurich talk about the future.

Jurich met with the team – including Brian Brohm and Michael Bush  for about 15 minutes. Center Eric Wood and wide receiver Harry Douglas were made available to the media by U of L and said Jurich gave the players an update on the coaching situation and told them to expect to have a new coach within a few days.

When asked if names of potential candidates were mentioned, Douglas smiled and said, “We’ll keep that in the family.â€Â

But Douglas said Jurich “answered everything we wanted to know. He told us he’s going to do the best job to get the right guy. He told us we’re going to be all right.â€Â

Wood said some of the players have been doing research on potential candidates and answered several questions about Tulsa’s Steve Kragthorpe, who has emerged as the leading candidate for the position.

“I didn’t know a lot about him but I’ve been making some calls,†Wood said. “I heard he is a great guy, runs a pro-style offense, which appeals to me. I heard he is kind of a players’ coach, which would be a little of a change, and not necessarily a good one or a bad one. He has more personal relationships with the players. He’s less of a disciplinarian and more or a friend.â€Â

Wood said his roommate, offensive tackle Brian Roche, spoke to Phil Simms on Sunday night and the former NFL star gave the thumbs up on Kragthorpe. Simms’ son, Matt, who has committed to U of L, and Roche were teammates at Ramsey (N.J.) Don Bosco Prep in high school.

“Phil Simms called our house last night and said he still wants Matt to come here,†Wood said. “He said we would be in good hands with this guy and fine if he comes here. . . . He said ‘Brian, if he comes it’s going to be a great deal.’ He said he was worried at first when he heard Petrino was leaving but when he heard (Kragthorpe’s) name in the mix he told Matt he didn’t want him to do anything.

“If that’s what’s right, hopefully he comes in.â€Â

Brohm and Bush both entered the complex shortly before 1 p.m. The two stars are contemplating decisions to enter the NFL Draft or return to U of L for one more season.

The NFL Draft deadline is Jan. 15. Neither player wanted to talk to the media.

Douglas said the mood in Sunday’s team meeting was of “shock,†but at the same time the players understood it was a move that was beneficial for Petrino and his family.

“I’m not the happiest guy in the world because I like the way he coached but we’ll move on,†Douglas said.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,646
  • Days Won:  29

Good Luck to L'ville, until they visit Tamplona  8-)

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Kragthrope will fit in fine, but they won't be as potent as the Petrino offense.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

Source: Jurich to offer job to Kragthorpe

By Brian Bennett and Rick Bozich

The Courier-Journal

RELATED VIDEO: Tom Jurich press conference

Tulsa’s Steve Kragthorpe has emerged as the top candidate to replace Bobby Petrino as the University of Louisville’s next football coach, a source close to the program said Monday.

The source said the school would like to name Petrino’s replacement by Wednesday and possibly by Tuesday afternoon.

U of L athletic director Tom Jurich planned to fly to Tulsa Tuesday morning to offer Kragthorpe the job, according to the source.

The only potential roadblock, the source said, is Kragthorpe’s feelings of loyalty toward Tulsa. The 41-year-old coach recently signed an extension through 2011.

Jurich declined to discuss individual candidates at a Monday news conference. He said he has a “pretty short†list of coaches and that he expects the search to go quickly.

“You know all the names that are going to be involved, so it’s no secret,†Jurich said. “I’m not going to talk about those names until I get through with this.

“I just think it’s very important we find somebody who will come in here and not only continue this program, but take it to another level.â€Â

Attempts to reach Kragthorpe the past two days have been unsuccessful.

The personnel committee of the U of L athletic association board of directors has called a meeting for 4 p.m. Tuesday in anticipation of a possible hire.

The source indicated that UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and some assistants on Petrino’s U of L staff also have been considered since Petrino resigned Sunday night to take over the NFL’s Atlanta Falcons.

Jurich is known for conducting swift coaching searches, and he told reporters Monday that this one needs to go quickly.

U of L is bringing several top football prospects to campus this weekend and hopes to continue the momentum from last week’s Orange Bowl victory.

The Cardinals also want to have a new coach in place before quarterback Brian Brohm and running back Michael Bush decide whether to turn pro. The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NFL draft is Monday.

“This is a very unique search because you don’t have the luxury of taking your time  not that I’d take it anyway,†Jurich said. “This is probably going to go much quicker than even I ever deal with things like this. We’ve got so many good things going, so much continuity, and you want to keep it going.â€Â

Jurich said he would “rely on my gut a lot†in choosing Petrino’s successor. He also said he wants to hire someone he knows well and someone who understands offense.

Both those attributes apply to Kragthorpe.

The Tulsa coach and Jurich have been friends since they worked at Northern Arizona University in the early 1990s. Kragthorpe was the team’s quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, and Jurich was the athletic director.

Like Petrino, Kragthorpe is the son of a coach. His father, Dave, was head coach at Idaho State and Oregon State and was a longtime assistant at BYU.

And like Petrino, Kragthorpe built his reputation working with quarterbacks and devising powerful offenses. He spent two years as the quarterbacks coach for the NFL’s Buffalo Bills.

Kragthorpe took his first head coaching job four years ago at Tulsa, which has the smallest enrollment of any school competing in Division I-A. The Golden Hurricane had little tradition and had lost 21 of their previous 22 games when he arrived.

Kragthorpe led the team to an 8-5 record his first year and has taken the program to three bowl games, including this year’s loss to Utah in the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl.

“He was confident he could go to Tulsa and turn that program around,†said Kurt Kragthorpe, Steve’s brother and a sports columnist for the Salt Lake Tribune in Utah. “I’m not sure exactly what he based that on, but he was pretty confident in his ability.

“He’s a very broad-minded guy who knows how to relate to every aspect of the job, from dealing with the media and boosters to relating to the players. He knows how important all of those things are.â€Â

Kurt Kragthorpe said he has not talked to his brother in the past few days but knows of his friendship with Jurich. He also said his brother aspires to coach on a bigger stage.

“It’s hard to be a coach and not have those ambitions,†Kurt Kragthorpe said. “It’s not like he thought he would be at Tulsa forever. But he’s not driven to get out of there, either.â€Â

Jurich spoke to several assistant coaches, including offensive coordinator Paul Petrino, who is a candidate for the job his brother left.

Jurich said he has the utmost respect for the assistants but will let his new head coach decide on a staff.

“That’s the tough part of this business, but I’m not going to hamstring any coach who comes in,†Jurich said. “That’s their job, just like I don’t want to be told who I have to hire.â€Â

Although Jurich said he does not blame Petrino for moving on, he said he wants his next coach to view Louisville as a “destination job†and not a steppingstone.

“What I want is consistency and stability, and I want somebody who has an incredible amount of integrity,†he said. “That would probably be my top priority, because I’m going to get a good football coach.â€Â

Brian Bennett can be reached at (502) 582-7177. Rick Bozich contributed to this report

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/SPORTS02/301090009

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Jurich gets his man Kragthorpe.

for a lot less than petrino cost