• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Burnham back in Tampa

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Days Won:  0

USF Defensive Coordinator Is Back In Tampa

Posted Dec 22, 2006 by Vidisha Priyanka

Updated Dec 22, 2006 at 01:47 PM

By Brett McMurphy

The Tampa Tribune

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - University of South Florida defensive coordinator Wally Burnham will return to Tampa on Friday night to be with his ailing mother, Cora, who has congestive heart failure.

Burnham and the USF football team are here preparing for Saturday’s Papajohns.com Bowl against East Carolina. It is unclear whether Burnham will be back in time for the 1 p.m. (EST) kickoff. USF coach Jim Leavitt said family comes first and Burnham needs to take care of his family issues and that should be his No. 1 concern.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/newswire/story/usf-defensive-coordinator-back-in-tampa/

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,673
  • Days Won:  29

Best wishes on this holiday season ... my late Grandmother's name is Cora also.

GOD Bless

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,503
  • Days Won:  13

maybe he will be on my SWA flight. at 655 am

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

This is all about family. Not that JL had a choice but you know his sentiments are genuine.

We are fortunate to have a coach the caliber of Wally Burnham.

Wally, we're all with you.

Burnham Returns To Tampa To Be With Ailing Mother

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Dec 23, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, ALA. - University of South Florida defensive coordinator Wally Burnham returned to Tampa on Friday to be with his ailing 83-year-old mother. It's unknown if he'll return for today's Papajohns.com Bowl.

Cora Burnham suffers from cancer and diabetes and has congestive heart failure. She was placed in hospice care Nov. 21.

"There was concern enough for him to go back and spend time and see her," said Patrick Burnham, Wally's son and USF's director of high school relations. "Our family appreciates everything the university has done."

Besides Patrick, Wally's wife Barbara and several family members are in Birmingham. Wally Burnham, 65, was born and raised in Pell City, Ala., 30 miles east of Birmingham. Patrick said he thinks his father will return for today's game.

"I know it's cliche to say, but I think that's where she would want him to be," Patrick Burnham said.

If Wally Burnham remains in Tampa, cornerbacks coach Rich Rachel is the most likely candidate to assume USF's defensive coordinator responsibilities. A 37-year coaching veteran, Rachel was defensive coordinator from 1990-95 at Rutgers and has been at USF since 2000.

"I have a plan [on defensive coordinator], but I'm not going to reveal it," USF coach Jim Leavitt said. "I don't think he should return if there's any gray area. He needs to be with his mom."

USF athletic director Doug Woolard secured a private plane for Burnham so he could return today if he desires.

"It will be tough without him," USF junior cornerback Trae Williams said. "We have to go out and execute his game plan."

Added sophomore free safety Danny Verpaele: "Family is more important. This is a game. That's life. I hope his mom gets well and he can return."

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Our Prayers to the Burnham Family