• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Persistent Pinkney

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Persistent Pinkney

By Nathan Summers

Sunday, December 17, 2006

The first time James Pinkney had a man-to-man talk with Skip Holtz, there was a very good chance it was also going to be the last.

Pinkney was saying good-bye to his new football coach  the third coach since he came to East Carolina University  at his introductory meeting with Holtz.

If first impressions really are that important, there is no chance the two would ever speak again. Instead Holtz, now on the cusp of his third season as the Pirates' head coach, will watch Pinkney take snaps for ECU one last time in the PapaJohns.com Bowl with a father's watchful eye.

Literally days after Holtz arrived in Greenville, he learned that his quarterback  who had started every game for the Pirates during the dismal 2004 season in which the team plummeted to 2-9 to follow a 1-11 finish the season before  had failed out and would not be at spring practice.

"The first time we really talked, just me and him, was when we found out I wasn't coming back," said Pinkney, who is the school's second all-time leading passer (8,048 yards to date) third-most prolific touchdown man (45) and second on the all-time completions list (1,164).

"He came to me and talked to me like a man. It was a very heartfelt conversation. He gave me the chance to come back and he did everything for me. I'm just proud that he gave me the chance to be here."

Still, the mere chance to return didn't solve Pinkney's problems. He admitted he didn't think Holtz ever expected to see him again after that first meeting.

"I really don't think he believed in me because he comes in here, he doesn't know anybody and he has to come in here and hear about this," Pinkney said. "For him, it was probably a choice where he said you can't put your hat on this man because he's getting kicked out for this. I had to earn everybody's respect back, coaches and all."

Given little other choice, Holtz tried to forget about Pinkney in the spring of 2005, and spent a frustrating first month of practice trying to fit someone in under center that could lead his offense.

It wasn't until Pinkney's successful summer school sessions, which included some trips to Greenville from Florida by Pinkney's mother for extra incentive, that the Pirates and Holtz had the quarterback that ultimately helped define the coach's early era at ECU.

Pinkney's grades were never at issue again, and he quietly became the phoenix in the ashes of the Pirates program.

"I'll probably get really emotional about James at the banquet (Jan. 5)," said Holtz. "I think James has been a blessing for me, for this football team, not just for the way he plays but for the way he handled his adversity, the way he overcame it, what he had to do, the humbling experience that he went through to get back."

Both Pinkney and Holtz said they haven't started thinking of Saturday's game against South Florida as Pinkney's swan song, but perhaps both are just putting off an inevitably emotional time.

Holtz also pointed to players like senior tailback Brandon Fractious, who went from Holtz's doghouse last season to his lead runner this season, as players he said impacted him as a person and a coach.

"This has been a rewarding team for me, just to be around them and their attitudes," Holtz said. "I have fun coaching this team. You look at these seniors, at their eyes, and you look at what they've been through and what they've overcome and how much it means to them."

The game can't possibly mean anything more to anyone than it does to Pinkney, who duly noted he will make his last start against the same USF team which he made his first one on Nov. 8, 2003.

No other Pirate since then has started under center for ECU. Pinkney's learned a thing or two in that time about not looking too far into the future. But with only one college game left for him, Pinkney is starting to admit openly his feelings about whether or not his last football game is Saturday in Birmingham, Ala.

"Oh, there's gotta be more in the tank, gotta be," said Pinkney.

Nathan Summers can be reached at (252)329-9595, or at nsummers@coxnc.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

he never liked school in high school either ... this one is for bragging rights for me! Take em down Bulls!