• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

A Look at the 2007 O-Line

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I can't figure Griffin out.

Then comes this year, the first time I've really seen him since then, and he just looks slow and sloppy.  I remember watching the game against McNeese and saying, "Who the heck is #77?!?!"  He looked REALLY overmatched against McNeese State.  McNeese State!!

:-?

Just watched the 1st half and graded him at 83%

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Then comes this year, the first time I've really seen him since then, and he just looks slow and sloppy.  I remember watching the game against McNeese and saying, "Who the heck is #77?!?!"  He looked REALLY overmatched against McNeese State.  McNeese State!!

That seems pretty high.  You must be an easy grader.

Plus, even if he were truly at 83%, he should be at about 93% against that kind of competition.

he just looks slow and sloppy.  ...  He looked REALLY overmatched

Plus, even if he were truly at 83%, he should be at about 93% against that kind of competition.

So I need to understand your math ?

Overmatched and 83-93%  :-?

Did you really see the game ?

He was playing Guard along side a Tackle that was playing his first game. He was helping him out and was watching stunts and blitzes.

I think you only remember the 3rd Drive that we were backed up to our End Zone and ended fumbling the punt snap. He was 50% on that drive where Carnes got called for 2 Holdings from the DE.

You probably saw a few plays and threw your hands up in disgust.

You claim 83-93% is overmatched ?

::) Puhlease

Guest JulmisteForPrez

he just looks slow and sloppy.  ...  He looked REALLY overmatched

So I need to understand your math ?

Overmatched and 83-93%  :-?

Did you really see the game ?

He was playing Guard along side a Tackle that was playing his first game. He was helping him out and was watching stunts and blitzes.

I think you only remember the 3rd Drive that we were backed up to our End Zone and ended fumbling the punt snap. He was 50% on that drive where Carnes got called for 2 Holdings from the DE.

You probably saw a few plays and threw your hands up in disgust.

You claim 83-93% is overmatched ?

::) Puhlease

Um, I'm scratching my head in bewliderment here.

First of all, 83% is decent, but nothing to brag about.  Now, I'm not saying I watched Griffin on every play, but on most of the plays where I DID watch him, he looked overmatched.

I'm not saying 93% grade-out is overmatched.  I'm saying all our starting O-linemen SHOULD grade out around 93% against competition like McNeese State.

And I'm also saying that knowing your propensity to give all-things-USF the benefit of the doubt (even sometimes when there is no doubt), your grading standard might be just a touch skewed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

You graded the line?  83%, huh.  What would Coach Frey do without you.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Rather bit of a joke of anyone questioning Griffin.  Once told in the spring the staff felt he had the chance to be one of the best.  You do realize that was his first start?  If the guy did grade 83% in his first start, against the athletes MSU had on the DL then that's pretty darn impressive.  

A 93% grading is a joke because it's a subjective rating system, do you even know how the grading works?  It would mean that Griffin almost completely shut-out the opposition and never surrendered a tackle, or lost a block.  Come on, for a RS-SOPH in his first start?  The reality is if he did make an 83% that's great.  

The funny thing is once Griffin got hurt after the UCF game the OL took about 3 weeks to get back in sync.   That should tell you something.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
Rather bit of a joke of anyone questioning Griffin.  [highlight]Once told in the spring the staff felt he had the chance to be one of the best.[/highlight]  You do realize that was his first start?  If the guy did grade 83% in his first start, against the athletes MSU had on the DL then that's pretty darn impressive.  

A 93% grading is a joke because it's a subjective rating system, do you even know how the grading works?  It would mean that Griffin almost completely shut-out the opposition and never surrendered a tackle, or lost a block.  Come on, for a RS-SOPH in his first start?  The reality is if he did make an 83% that's great.  

The funny thing is once Griffin got hurt after the UCF game the OL took about 3 weeks to get back in sync.   That should tell you something.

Hmmmm.......and yet he couldn't even beat out a 260 some odd pound Nick Capogna for the center spot?  Something doesn't add up.

Listen, I hope Griffin does turn out to be a road grader like I thought he would.  All I've been saying is that he didn't show me much against the 1-AA competition.

You put too much into a guy's weight.

Nick has experience and we needed a Guards and he was out almost half the season ...  

yup, wonder why he didn't win the job.

::)

Guest JulmisteForPrez
[highlight]You put too much into a guy's weight.[/highlight]

Nick has experience and we needed a Guards and he was out almost half the season ...  

yup, wonder why he didn't win the job.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Capogna's lack of size played a significant role at times this year.

If a guy's size doesn't matter on the o-line very much, why don't we use some of our WR's there?  We have so much depth there that we couldn't possibly use everyone!

If a guy's size doesn't matter on the o-line very much, why don't we use some of our WR's there?  We have so much depth there that we couldn't possibly use everyone!

Strength and ability has more to do with playing Center than weight. Obviously ... he won the starting job for a reason.

For the record, some though McCaskill could push for the job as a True FR last year, so we'll see what he can do in 2007.

Hope he tips the scale to satisfy you.  :P

When we have a more talented guy to take the job, it will change ... always has.

You just want to complain without facts backing it up.

[smiley=snore.gif]