• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does anyone know what a greyshirt yr is?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

I saw it on scout and I have only heard of this once but it was never explained to me. WTH is a greyshirt yr?

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563

A Grey Shirt player is a player who committed to a school in the last recruiting class but does not sign because of scholarship shortage.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

does he practice with the team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,664
  • Days Won:  29

Didn't they use to or also call it blue-shirt ?

I do not think they can practice, not sure.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563

Im not sure.I think basically that GS player would be on a walk-on status until a ship open up.So he should be able to practice.IM just guessing so dont qoute me.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63

Actually, a grey shirt would not only not be able to practice but not even enroll at the school. Essentially the player would enroll the followin January afterwhich he would have five additional years. The year following the kids graduation he would be in limbo, no practice or school just a promise of a scholarship. These are generally taken only when there are limited other options. Many schools do not employ this startegy.

From a January 2005 article about Alabama Crimson Tide

As a result of NCAA sanctions that reduced scholarships, those familiar with Alabama's program learned a new word recently: "grayshirt."

Three players off the Crimson Tide's 2004 signing class were forced to "grayshirt" this season, meaning they could enroll in school, but there simply wasn't enough room to officially add them to the team until 2005.

It's a way to sign as many players as you can, see who qualifies academically, and pick and choose who you want by fall practice.

When a team has more than the NCAA-allowable limit of 25 signees qualify academically, that ploy make sense.

Now, even as head coach Mike Shula's staff returns to a full compliment of 85 scholarships for the first time since arriving in 2003, the Tide is expected to continue the recent tradition of keeping players in reserve until the following season.