• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

this site says we will be #25 to start next year!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

Great write up but it says we started playing ball in 2000

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Great write up but it says we started playing ball in 2000

1-A?

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808

It will not be as easy for us to break into perennial Top 25 as it was for, say, Miami.  Miami faced much less competition with alot more resources.

But we are doing it. And we're doing it right. I guess if smazza started a team from scratch it would play for the national championship in its first year. And while that hasnt happened for us, I do like the position we're in for the next few years:

-Decline of Miami, FSU:  The only problem with becoming such a good team is that there is only one way to go: DOWN. While Im sure FSU will rebound, the impending loss of Bobby Bowden could prove significant for a long time to come. It's similar to situation at Alabama. No one wants to coach in the shadow of a legend. I was at the FSU-WFU game this year. The stadium/parking lot was nearly empty at the end of the game. Fans will simply not have the patience for anything other than a new coach coming in and winning immediately.  FSU will eventually stand back up, but it could be years and years before they ever reach the level they were at in the 90's.  Miami ... Im not so sure they will rebound as well as FSU. Coker was 59-15 with a NC and he got the axe for a neutral season. And then there's they new HC hire. Ouch. Im expecting Miami to fall to mediocrity for the next several years.

-USF making headlines:  What a great way to end the season, with a win against a Top 10 opponent on national television.  We have a phenom QB that I dont think any of us could have expected a year ago. Theres a chance we could go into Auburn next year ranked (and maybe just maybe pull off the upset?). We'll probably be expected to be the dark harse competition for the BE championship next year. All of this, combined with the likely win over UCF at home will clearly set USF apart.  People will be hesistant to say that we have knocked off Miami for a spot in the Big 3, but I think next year could definitely be the start of the Big 4.

Bottom line: This is our shot. In arguably the best football state in the country, we have risen from obscurity to serious contenders.  All we need is the right sequence of events to seal the deal. Down years for 2 of the state's powerhouses, signature wins over ranked opponents, phenom QB....will all add up. Next year is our shot. And I like our chances. No one will say "who is USF" in 2008.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

It will not be as easy for us to break into perennial Top 25 as it was for, say, Miami.  Miami faced much less competition with alot more resources.

But we are doing it. And we're doing it right. I guess if smazza started a team from scratch it would play for the national championship in its first year. And while that hasnt happened for us, I do like the position we're in for the next few years:

-Decline of Miami, FSU:  The only problem with becoming such a good team is that there is only one way to go: DOWN. While Im sure FSU will rebound, the impending loss of Bobby Bowden could prove significant for a long time to come. It's similar to situation at Alabama. No one wants to coach in the shadow of a legend. I was at the FSU-WFU game this year. The stadium/parking lot was nearly empty at the end of the game. Fans will simply not have the patience for anything other than a new coach coming in and winning immediately.  FSU will eventually stand back up, but it could be years and years before they ever reach the level they were at in the 90's.  Miami ... Im not so sure they will rebound as well as FSU. Coker was 59-15 with a NC and he got the axe for a neutral season. And then there's they new HC hire. Ouch. Im expecting Miami to fall to mediocrity for the next several years.

-USF making headlines:  What a great way to end the season, with a win against a Top 10 opponent on national television.  We have a phenom QB that I dont think any of us could have expected a year ago. Theres a chance we could go into Auburn next year ranked (and maybe just maybe pull off the upset?). We'll probably be expected to be the dark harse competition for the BE championship next year. All of this, combined with the likely win over UCF at home will clearly set USF apart.  People will be hesistant to say that we have knocked off Miami for a spot in the Big 3, but I think next year could definitely be the start of the Big 4.

Bottom line: This is our shot. In arguably the best football state in the country, we have risen from obscurity to serious contenders.  All we need is the right sequence of events to seal the deal. Down years for 2 of the state's powerhouses, signature wins over ranked opponents, phenom QB....will all add up. Next year is our shot. And I like our chances. No one will say "who is USF" in 2008.

I like the high, realistic expectations.