• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF, looking to 2007 (USA Today)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

CENTRAL FLORIDA

INSIDE SLANT

Central Florida said goodbye to the Citrus Bowl, 21 seniors and a disappointing season with a 31-22 victory over Alabama-Birmingham in its final game

The Golden Knights played some of their best football of the season on the way to 483 total yards and a 24-6 third-quarter lead. Then they proceeded to play like the team that struggled throughout most of a 4-8 season, allowing Alabama-Birmingham to cut the lead to 24-22 with 6:27 left to play before scoring a late touchdown to secure the win.

"We have a knack for keeping it interesting as far as the game," third-year UCF coach George O'Leary said. "I think the kids' character was tested when you jump out in a big lead like that and you let them chip away with field goals. ...

"Normally, a lot of teams have a tendency to pack it. This team has not and that is a credit to the team and the character of the team and that is usually led by your senior class. I am happy for the kids. Hopefully, we can head into the off-season with a good taste in our mouths."

That taste won't nearly be as sweet as it was last year when UCF rebounded from a 0-11 record in 2004 and finished 8-4, winning the C-USA Eastern Division and playing in the program's first-ever bowl game.

The Golden Knights made a habit of making big plays and winning close games in 2005 but fell short on both counts in 2006, losing four C-USA games by a total of 30 points.

The UCF defense also made strides down the stretch after a poor start but it wasn't enough to change O'Leary's mind about staff changes.

After UCF finished the season ranked 106th nationally in total defense (398.1 yards per game), 82nd in rush defense (149.3 yards per game), 111th in pass defense (248.8 yards per game) and 99th in scoring defense (28.8 points per game), O'Leary demoted Lance Thompson from defensive coordinator to defensive assistant. Two others assistants weren't so fortunate. Defensive line coach Peter McCarty and secondary coach Miles Aldridge relieved of their duties.

"After my evaluation ... I did what I had to do and what I thought was necessary to (move) this thing in the right direction," O'Leary said. "I just felt there was a need for change, and a lot of times change is good."

In addition to hiring two new assistants, the Knights must replace 21 seniors, led by record-setting receiver Mike Walker, center Cedric Gagne-Marcoux and defensive end Chris Welsh.

The bitter taste from the 2006 season should improve with the realization that several young players emerged as key contributors down the stretch and the move to a new on-campus stadium for home games.

"It is kind of emotional," Walker said. "I have been here for four years, and there have been a lot of ups and downs. There are many memories. I went down with an injury (in 2005) and have never been so loved in my life. I wish I could start a tradition in the new stadium, but I have done my four years here and my time is up."

NOTES, QUOTES

GAME OF THE YEAR: UCF 23, Marshall 22 –- When UCF bounced back from a three-game losing streak and won at Marshall on a 22-yard field goal by Michael Torres with 6.7 seconds left in the game, it looked like UCF had turned a corner in its season. Unfortunately for the Golden Knights, they went on to lose their next four games.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: WR Mike Walker With seven receptions for 133 yards and two touchdowns, Walker finished the season ranked second in the nation with 90 receptions and 7.5 receptions per game. He also finished fifth nationally with 98.7 receiving yards per game. His 90 catches are a UCF single-season record. Walker concludes his UCF career with 184 receptions, fourth on UCF's career list, despite spending the 2004 season as a defensive back when injuries in the secondary forced him to move to safety.

FAST FORWARD: The Golden Knights made a habit of making big plays and winning close games in 2005 because of their leadership. For whatever reason those qualities weren't as evident through most of the 2006 season and the Golden Knights must find new leaders after losing 21 seniors. TB Kevin Smith and four of five offensive line starters return. The defensive front seven gained some valuable experience in 2006, but UCF must improve at quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back and throughout the kicking game to get back to where it was in 2005.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "That's really what everybody has been saying all week: that we want to end the season with a good taste in our mouths. Going into the offseason with a win, it's going to help recruiting some, and it's going to do a lot of things as far as impressions and what people think about the season. It just feels good to be where we are at right now and to end on a win." UCF QB Kyle Israel.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

PLAYERS TO WATCH IN 2007: WR Rocky Ross Ross came on late in the season and proved himself as a capable receiver. With leading receiver Mike Walker moving on, Ross has the opportunity to emerge as UCF's go-to receiver in 2007.

TB Kevin Smith Injuries prevented Smith from matching his freshman totals but he's still rushed for 2,166 yards and 16 touchdowns in two seasons at UCF.

FS Jason Venson - Venson got off to a slow start as a sophomore after an impressive freshman season but he finished strong, with a game-high 12 total tackles in the final game of the season and 63 total tackles.

CB Joe Burnett Burnett didn't match his strong freshman season as a playmaking cornerback or dangerous punt returner, due in part to injuries and the fact that opponents often tried to stay from him.

PRO PROSPECTS: WR Mike Walker Walker has ranked among the nation's top receivers all season, despite inconsistent play at quarterback. He brings size (6-2 200 pounds) and sure hands to the position and will most likely be a possession-type receiver at the next level.

QB Steven Moffett He has some tools in terms of athletic ability but his stock has dropped considerably during his senior season because of his inconsistent decision-making and execution.

C Cedric Gagne-Marcoux Entered his senior season as a solid, smart, experienced center but missed significant playing time with injuries and didn't play as well as he did as a junior.

ROSTER REPORT: In addition to Gagne-Marcoux, CB-PR Joe Burnett (high ankle sprain) and TB Kevin Smith (shoulder) both missed significant playing time this season with injuries, depriving the Golden Knights of three of their most important players. Burnett and Smith should both be back in time for spring practice.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

whywill nextyear be better???????

ridiculous

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

It will be better because it can't be much worse.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

^  yea it can

they can go 0-12 if they really try

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

Steven Moffett is a pro prospect??? :o ;D  thats is hilarious

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,667
  • Days Won:  29

Pro = Getting Paid for a Job

"Welcome to McDonalds"  8-)

sammieking.jpg

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  580

It may be kool aid - but we didn't write it :)  

Looks liike those basketball AP voters are drinking the kool aid too! :)