• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mel Kiper USF Love

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  749
  • Days Won:  1

Bulls check this out...all pub is good pub.  Kiper throwing some George Selvie love at the end of his draft column.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=2678519

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

copy and paste?

i hate espn and their insider crap.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  749
  • Days Won:  1

For weeks, I've been highlighting the three super blue chip left tackles in college football. Wisconsin senior Joe Thomas carries the highest grade, followed by a pair of juniors, USC's Sam Baker and Michigan's Jake Long.

But there is another highly skilled trenchman who has failed to gain the national notoriety of the top OT's, yet by the time the 2007 NFL Draft rolls around in late April, this player should hear his name called in either the first or second round.

I'm referring to USC's exceptional senior center Ryan Kalil. The 6-2½, 292 pounder has been a top flight anchor in the Pac-10 for the past three seasons. He's smart, technically sound, and has graded out as one of the most consistent offensive linemen in the nation during the latter stages of his college career.

Keep in mind, he's banged heads against some excellent DT's, both during practice (Shaun Cody, Mike Patterson, Sedrick Ellis) and in games, so to say he's battle-tested is an understatement.

His father, Frank, also a center, closed out his college career at Arizona and became an 11th round selection of the Buffalo Bills in the 1982 NFL Draft.

As I stated earlier, I would project Ryan to be either a first or second rounder at this stage of the evaluation process.

While he's listed as a junior, indications are that Fresno State RB Dwayne Wright will be a part of the 2007 NFL Draft.

This young man defines what determination and resiliency are all about. After an outstanding 2003 campaign with the Bulldogs that saw him rush for just over 1,000 yards, Wright suffered a torn patellar tendon during the second game of the 2004 season.

He not only missed the remainder of 2004, but was also forced to sit out all of 2005 as part of the rehab. Wright was back at full strength this past spring, checking in at a rock solid 228 pounds after spending countless hours in the weight room.

Wright closed out this season with a bang, rushing for 295 yards on 25 carries and scoring the winning TD in Fresno State's 34-27 victory over Louisiana Tech Friday night.

Over the final three games of the season, Wright rushed for 549 yards, averaging an impressive 7.8 yards per carry and scored three TD's.

Day two of the NFL Draft has produced a high number of solid NFL RBs over the years and Wright could be another in that long line.

One of the great stories of 2006 is the Rice Owls. You have to go all he way back to 1961 to find the last time Rice went to a bowl.

After winning six straight games and seven of their past eight, the 7-5 Owls are definitely going to a bowl this season.

They ended the 2006 regular season with a thrilling 31-27 victory over SMU on Saturday. One of the key performers all season and in this game for first year head coach Todd Graham was sophomore wide-out Jarett Dillard.

The

5-11, 175 pounder hauled in six receptions for a whopping 24.2 yard average and three touchdowns. His 20-yard TD reception tied the game at 24-24 and his 25-yard TD grab put Rice ahead to stay at 31-27.

For the season, Dillard hauled in 76 receptions, 17 of which went for touchdowns.

The great news for Graham and the Owls is that Dillard has two more years of collegiate eligibility still remaining.

Georgia Tech will square off against Wake Forest in the ACC championship game on Saturday. For the Rambling Wreck to come out victorious over Jim Grobe's surprising 10-2 Demon Deacons, super blue chip WR Calvin Johnson has to be more of a factor than has been the case in a number of games this season.

I stated back in August that Johnson should catch seven to ten passes every game. That's how dominant he should be at the collegiate level.

Instead, he's hauled in just 10 receptions total over the past three games, while catching five or fewer passes in seven games this season.

On Saturday, Johnson was limited to just two receptions for only 13 yards in their 15-12 loss to Georgia. I understand you have to give the Bulldogs defense, keyed by junior CB Paul Oliver, a great deal of credit. But like former Pitt Panther and now Arizona Cardinal Larry Fitzgerald, Johnson can haul in the spectacular reception even when he appears covered. Just put the ball up and he'll go get it.

And remember, he'll likely have just two more games in a Rambling Wreck uniform, figuring to be an early first round draft choice if he decides to bypass his final year of eligibility.

Another highly skilled wide-out who has a decision to make at the end of the season as to whether to return to the Gamecocks for the 2007 season or make himself a part of the upcoming NFL Draft, is South Carolina's third year sophomore Sidney Rice.

The silky smooth Rice hauled in 8 receptions in the Gamecocks victory over Clemson on Saturday. The 6-3, 200 pounder accelerates out of his break, allowing him to gain the necessary separation from the CB he's matched up against.

One of the more impressive CB's in the nation this season has been Boston College junior DeJuan Tribble. The athletic and fast 5-9, 187 pounder had three interceptions against Miami on Thanksgiving night, one of which he returned for a TD. That gives him seven interceptions for the season, three of which have resulted in scores.

Whoever the opponent is for the Eagles in their bowl game, they would be wise to stay away from No. 27. Tribble has also proven to be a very dangerous return man as well.

When talking about the best young left tackles in college football, make sure you don't overlook Boise State's third year sophomore Ryan Clady. The talented 6-5½, 325 pounder has neutralized the charge of just about every DE he's gone up against. That was the case again on Saturday against Nevada when he got the job done against the Wolf Pack's senior pass rushing dynamo J.J. Milan who leads the WAC with 9½ sacks.

Clady did a great job of keeping the blind-side pressure away from senior QB Jared Zabransky, showcasing the feet and athletic prowess you look for in a top flight left tackle.

Clady has demonstrated more upside potential than his former teammate Daryn Colledge, who went in the second round of this past April's 2006 NFL Draft to the Green Bay Packers.

One of the underrated aspects of the No. 2 ranked USC Trojans has been the steady improvement shown by their defensive secondary.

The deep patrol may be young, but they have plenty of talent. The CB's are junior Terrell Thomas and sophomore Cary Harris, with true freshman Taylor Mays and sophomore Kevin Ellison at free and strong safety respectively.

Thomas is their best cover corner, but I was impressed with the job Harris did against Notre Dame's outstanding senior WR Jeff Samardzija on Saturday night.

He gave up a TD late, but won more battles than he lost against Samardzija, proving to be particularly effective on throws to the end zone.

Mays has proven to be one of the elite freshman in the country on the defensive side of the ball, while Ellison gives them an intimidating presence.

Another Trojan defensive player deserving of positive commentary is their junior nose tackle Sedrick Ellis. The powerful 6-1, 295 pounder was extremely disruptive up front against the Fighting Irish, with his quickness out of the blocks allowing him to wreak some havoc.

While not a name well known to college football fans throughout the country, those in the Big East Conference are definitely aware of just how promising a talent South Florida's redshirt freshman DE George Selvie is turning out to be.

In the Bulls huge upset victory over West Virginia in Morgantown on Saturday, he finished with 8 tackles, 3½ of which were behind the line of scrimmage. Selvie also returned a fumble by Mountaineer QB Pat White nine yards for a TD in the second quarter to give South Florida their first lead of the game. Far from being just a one game wonder, Selvie's 12 tackles for loss this season have him tied for tops on the team.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  131

i was listening to him on sirius radio after the win in morgantown and he was talking us up for a long time. he was talking about how young and talented we are and with Grothe for 3 more years we have a very bright future. i happened to agree with most of his statements  :)

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  821
  • Days Won:  2

Love to loathe the man, but people listen to him and he's talk'n about USF.

So all is well.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I am a big Kiper fan ... glad to hear the Selvie Love !

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I'd rather not hear Selvie love from an NFL draft expert, if you know what I mean.  oh well, heh.  I would like to know where Nicholas is going to go, though.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

I would say very close to where St. Louis will go . . . LB seems very deep this year so I would not expect on Day 1  :P

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'd rather not hear Selvie love from an NFL draft expert, if you know what I mean.  oh well, heh.  I would like to know where Nicholas is going to go, though.

dont be selfish

if selvie can make a ton of money be happy he came to usf and wish him the best

top programs lose juniors all the time